The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joannywhite
Really? How kind of them. But aren't u supposed to get the vaccinations and everything done before you start the course?

They say that to try and save money (understandably) but my GP refused to do my Hep B vaccines so I just got the uni to do them. It doesn't make a difference because you're supposed to have them before you get any clinical exposure, and first years have their first year placements at the very end of the year. :smile:
Original post by tania<3
They say that to try and save money (understandably) but my GP refused to do my Hep B vaccines so I just got the uni to do them. It doesn't make a difference because you're supposed to have them before you get any clinical exposure, and first years have their first year placements at the very end of the year. :smile:

Oh right I see. Thank you for this info :biggrin:
Original post by katykay
They're cutting it fine, 2 weeks before the deadline!

I know right. It's quite selfish really, since exams would of started then and no one should be worrying about uni stuff then.
Original post by tania<3

Oh and Tania, I love your blog. You gonna update it anytime soon? :colondollar:
Original post by tania<3

Are you sure they still do this? They said when you start the course you should have started the vaccination.

Out of interest what year are you in, nice to see a med student in this thread :smile:
Original post by _sparks
Are you sure they still do this? They said when you start the course you should have started the vaccination.

Out of interest what year are you in, nice to see a med student in this thread :smile:

She's in her second year :smile:
Reply 2306

Oh what is her blog? I would love to read it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _sparks

Yh that's what they told us at the interview. My gp told me to do it in the summer so I might as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LLF467
Oh what is her blog? I would love to read it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://chocolatecoffeeandcream.blogspot.com/ :biggrin:

hahah oh thankyou! I'm not really sure, I'd like to but at the moment I haven't got the motivation to update it :colondollar: if I do I will let you know :wink:

Original post by _sparks

Yep second year as joannywhite said :smile: and yeahh they won't stop doing it AFAIK because it's the medical school's duty to provide occupational health clearance and stuff.
Original post by m.o.a.
yeh thats what i thought when I went for a week long med summer skl last year. Even the offer holders on the fb group are mainly asian-but thats true for most med schools..ha ha.....
I just like hanging around with drs from chelsea cos their so classy-but this needs to change.........

So you went to a summer school at St george's? How was it?

but I don't think that's true for most university medical schools because places that have a better rep like UCL or imperial attract people from all over the World..

st George's is in tooting though, so I didn't think it was as likely to do thatt unless someone disagrees? or knows firsthand otherwise?
Create a facebook account then :ahee:

Can you put up the link please?
Original post by Kazzaroo13
Can you put up the link please?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/496780123777300/?fref=ts
There you go hun :smile:
can someone please give me a list of pros of studying at st George's..

I'm dreading starting there in september because it's the complete opposite of where I hoped I would end up for uni - the area is meh, uni rep is meh

should I take a gap year and hope to get into better medical schools?
Reply 2314
Original post by pingpongcat

I'm dreading starting there in september because it's the complete opposite of where I hoped I would end up for uni - the area is meh, uni rep is meh

With taking a gap year means you forego your places in medical school however you have the opportunity to further improve your application and apply again. I'd seriously think about it if you're 'dreading' starting there, you'll be spending 5 years there.
Original post by katykay
With taking a gap year means you forego your places in medical school however you have the opportunity to further improve your application and apply again. I'd seriously think about it if you're 'dreading' starting there, you'll be spending 5 years there.

Yeah I would say if you are having second thoughts about studying there and you think you would do better elsewhere you maybe should consider your options because 5 years is a long time... Have you considered taking a gap year and what you would do to make your application better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2316

Taking a gap year when you have a firm place for medicine is idiotic. There is nothing to say you'll get in anywhere next year and you have a place this year. It's up to you but if you want to do medicine I would take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2317

I feel like that too especially whem comparing the hospitals we will be doing placements at with other unis eg kings.
Apparently st.helias is very run down and doesnt really have much modern facilities.
Reply 2318
Original post by m.o.a.
I feel like that too especially whem comparing the hospitals we will be doing placements at with other unis eg kings.
Apparently st.helias is very run down and doesnt really have much modern facilities.

All medicine courses are standardised by the GMC so it ultimately on a qualification basis doesn't matter where you go. However as I said before you'll be spending 5 years somewhere, I personally think I'll be very very happy at St George's due to location and teaching preferences.
Reply 2319
Original post by KA125
Taking a gap year when you have a firm place for medicine is idiotic. There is nothing to say you'll get in anywhere next year and you have a place this year. It's up to you but if you want to do medicine I would take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This might sound a bit dumb but I wont really have a 100% positive attitude if the clinical experiences arent like what other med schools provide..........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending