The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2320
Original post by katykay
All medicine courses are standardised by the GMC so it ultimately on a qualification basis doesn't matter where you go. However as I said before you'll be spending 5 years somewhere, I personally think I'll be very very happy at St George's due to location and teaching preferences.

so that means you like pbl?
I actually dont know how we are suppossed to learn through this method. I have tried it before like at summer schools for med and during a level lessons but it seems to be uselesss....
Reply 2321
Original post by m.o.a.
I feel like that too especially whem comparing the hospitals we will be doing placements at with other unis eg kings.
Apparently st.helias is very run down and doesnt really have much modern facilities.

This might sound a bit dumb but I wont really have a 100% positive attitude if the clinical experiences arent like what other med schools provide..........

And what's your reasoning to say that the clinical experiences aren't what other med schools provide? As a first year what are you really hoping for?! St. Heliers may well be considered 'run down', but St. Georges is considered a major trauma centre so will an A&E placement there be rubbish in contrast to one at Kings? No.

I have friends at Kings, Oxford, Bristol and all of our experiences are very similar in terms of placement.

If you don't feel you'll have a 100 % positive attitude towards it then perhaps you shouldn't be going to med school...
Reply 2322
Original post by m.o.a.
so that means you like pbl?
I actually dont know how we are suppossed to learn through this method. I have tried it before like at summer schools for med and during a level lessons but it seems to be uselesss....

Yes I do, I really like independent learning and it's very similar to how we will be diagnosing on the wards in a sense. Well different methods for different people, I mean I highly doubt we all revise in the same way as we all have different learning methods.
Reply 2323
Original post by KA125
And what's your reasoning to say that the clinical experiences aren't what other med schools provide? As a first year what are you really hoping for?! St. Heliers may well be considered 'run down', but St. Georges is considered a major trauma centre so will an A&E placement there be rubbish in contrast to one at Kings? No.

I have friends at Kings, Oxford, Bristol and all of our experiences are very similar in terms of placement.

If you don't feel you'll have a 100 % positive attitude towards it then perhaps you shouldn't be going to med school...

I don't think that should put you off placements by less advanced equipment there will be more manual work and more things to think about and so more to learn!
Reply 2324
Original post by pingpongcat
can someone please give me a list of pros of studying at st George's..

I'm dreading starting there in september because it's the complete opposite of where I hoped I would end up for uni - the area is meh, uni rep is meh

should I take a gap year and hope to get into better medical schools?

http://www.mymedschool.co.uk

This website is really helpful when it comes to gaining an insight into medical schools and what they're like. It also gives you pros and cons.
I would take any place as long as I have a place. I know it sounds desperate but if you have a place to study medicine you should take it as the competitions too high and you have no idea whether you'll get better places next year, and also if you did not want to go to a uni why apply there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2326
Original post by priyanka96
I would take any place as long as I have a place. I know it sounds desperate but if you have a place to study medicine you should take it as the competitions too high and you have no idea whether you'll get better places next year, and also if you did not want to go to a uni why apply there

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree on the first part, I'm so desperate to do a course I know I'll love and enjoy which will lead to a job I know I'll love and enjoy I would volunteer to study it in a public loo for the 5 years if it meant I'd get to study it!
Original post by KA125
Taking a gap year when you have a firm place for medicine is idiotic. There is nothing to say you'll get in anywhere next year and you have a place this year. It's up to you but if you want to do medicine I would take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by m.o.a.
I feel like that too especially whem comparing the hospitals we will be doing placements at with other unis eg kings.
Apparently st.helias is very run down and doesnt really have much modern facilities.

Original post by KA125

You will spending 5 years at the uni... minimum.

If you hate it before you get there... you're not going to have a great start to uni. If you don't want to learn the georges way...then I'd say don't go to georges.

If you're saying your dreading georges maybe gap year is best. You can work on your application go travelling get some money together... but there is no guarantee for a place next year.

But if you don't want to go to a uni... don't go to it. If you're dreading it... like DREADING IT like its something you feel like you have to do... rather than really really want to do... I would really recommend not going

hope this helps
can someone please give me a list of pros of studying at st George's..

I'm dreading starting there in september because it's the complete opposite of where I hoped I would end up for uni - the area is meh, uni rep is meh

should I take a gap year and hope to get into better medical schools?

Where were you hoping to end up?

Firstly I'll just say don't feel down about it. I had my heart set on Kings because my boyfriend went there, I loved the uni and he hyped it up so much for me, but then I ended up with a rejection. When I got my offer for SGUL I had literally only been to the uni once, on the interview day, so it felt very weird blindly accepting it as my only offer.

Yes Tooting is a ****hole compared to the likes of central London, but it really isn't that bad. It has it's own charm and pretty much everyone else I know agrees with me when I say that it could seriously be a lot worse :tongue: the pros about living in Tooting is that it's a LOT cheaper than central London, and trust me, unless you're rich, it makes a HUGE difference. Cost of living is significantly cheaper, and less money spent on rent and food means more money to spend on going out, right? :wink:

The uni reputation, seriously, it all goes out of the window when it comes to medicine. And George's is actually very well respected by doctors, I've spoken to many and not one of them has said anything bad about the doctors who graduate from George's. We're generally known to have excellent communication skills, and you figure out very quickly that a doctor with zero commskills is a useless doctor, no matter how good his scientific knowledge is.

Also just on another note, I really think we have a great course. I see my medic friends from Kings and Barts and they're so inundated with exams and deadlines every couple of weeks that they don't get to enjoy their uni life as much as non medics. George's are really nice in the way that they don't stress you out too much in the first two years - they have a really gradual workload, instead of throwing you in the deep end. And our student life is great, there's genuinely something for everyone to get involved with.

Don't be put off by the rep and the area. Just have an open mind and it will all work out :smile:

Hope this helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by m.o.a.

This might sound a bit dumb but I wont really have a 100% positive attitude if the clinical experiences arent like what other med schools provide..........

Have you seen the state of most NHS hospitals? Just because UCL as a university has a better rep has absolutely NO bearing on how nice their affiliated hospitals are... UCL is affiliated with Barnet and Chase Farm NHS Trust which is my local one in north London, and it came down as one of the worst hospitals in the UK.

Clinical experiences don't depend on the hospital, they depend on the the structure that the uni sets out for teaching, and the willingness of your consultants to teach you properly. Unfortunately you get good and bad consultant teaching in EVERY single teaching hospital, so it doesn't matter about the uni's rep.

All in all, clinical experiences across all medical schools really doesn't vary that much because it's all the same - you follow a designated doctor on their ward rounds and they are the ones who teach you.

Edit: Also, "modern facilities"? I'm curious as to what you mean by that. I had my first year placement in Helier's and it has a bad reputation as an NHS trust but not because it doesn't have modern facilities?
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone have an upcoming interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KA125
Taking a gap year when you have a firm place for medicine is idiotic. There is nothing to say you'll get in anywhere next year and you have a place this year. It's up to you but if you want to do medicine I would take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by m.o.a.

Original post by katykay
All medicine courses are standardised by the GMC so it ultimately on a qualification basis doesn't matter where you go. However as I said before you'll be spending 5 years somewhere, I personally think I'll be very very happy at St George's due to location and teaching preferences.

Original post by katykay
http://www.mymedschool.co.uk

This website is really helpful when it comes to gaining an insight into medical schools and what they're like. It also gives you pros and cons.

Original post by priyanka96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by SenrabBarnes
You will spending 5 years at the uni... minimum.

If you hate it before you get there... you're not going to have a great start to uni. If you don't want to learn the georges way...then I'd say don't go to georges.

If you're saying your dreading georges maybe gap year is best. You can work on your application go travelling get some money together... but there is no guarantee for a place next year.

But if you don't want to go to a uni... don't go to it. If you're dreading it... like DREADING IT like its something you feel like you have to do... rather than really really want to do... I would really recommend not going

hope this helps

Original post by tania<3
Where were you hoping to end up?

Firstly I'll just say don't feel down about it. I had my heart set on Kings because my boyfriend went there, I loved the uni and he hyped it up so much for me, but then I ended up with a rejection. When I got my offer for SGUL I had literally only been to the uni once, on the interview day, so it felt very weird blindly accepting it as my only offer.

Yes Tooting is a ****hole compared to the likes of central London, but it really isn't that bad. It has it's own charm and pretty much everyone else I know agrees with me when I say that it could seriously be a lot worse :tongue: the pros about living in Tooting is that it's a LOT cheaper than central London, and trust me, unless you're rich, it makes a HUGE difference. Cost of living is significantly cheaper, and less money spent on rent and food means more money to spend on going out, right? :wink:

The uni reputation, seriously, it all goes out of the window when it comes to medicine. And George's is actually very well respected by doctors, I've spoken to many and not one of them has said anything bad about the doctors who graduate from George's. We're generally known to have excellent communication skills, and you figure out very quickly that a doctor with zero commskills is a useless doctor, no matter how good his scientific knowledge is.

Also just on another note, I really think we have a great course. I see my medic friends from Kings and Barts and they're so inundated with exams and deadlines every couple of weeks that they don't get to enjoy their uni life as much as non medics. George's are really nice in the way that they don't stress you out too much in the first two years - they have a really gradual workload, instead of throwing you in the deep end. And our student life is great, there's genuinely something for everyone to get involved with.

Don't be put off by the rep and the area. Just have an open mind and it will all work out :smile:

Hope this helps.

thanks..

it's not that I'm DREADING it, more like dreading it: I have moments where I put the arguments you guys gave forward, medical school is medical school, I'll qualify as a doctor which is the most important thing.

but then other times, I think back to when I was in secondary school and was aiming to be at oxbridge or UCL or imperial or king's in five years time..

st George's is a long way off from that.

Tania, the cost isn't really something that I looked at because I live in London - added to the aim i had a few years ago, st George's is so exclusively health focused and on the wrong side of the river to be able to mix with students doing other things

Priyanka, it was the one that out of the four I least wanted to go to.. a backup
thanks..

it's not that I'm DREADING it, more like dreading it: I have moments where I put the arguments you guys gave forward, medical school is medical school, I'll qualify as a doctor which is the most important thing.

but then other times, I think back to when I was in secondary school and was aiming to be at oxbridge or UCL or imperial or king's in five years time..

Tania, the cost isn't really something that I looked at because I live in London - added to the aim i had a few years ago, st George's is so exclusively health focused and on the wrong side of the river to be able to mix with students doing other things

Priyanka, it was the one that out of the four I least wanted to go to.. a backup

I'm sure your appreciating of the opportunity, I would be lying if I said these thoughts never crossed my mind. But I never let where I am studying define how well I do. And like tania said medicine is standardised. So what you learn in one university is the same In the next. There will be subtle differences but you'll get over it as in my opinion anyone who has applied to get into medicine can sort themselves out in terms of studying.

This may or may not of made sense to you but the point is, will you honestly risk your medicine offer and waste a year to get into imperial Which isn't even guaranteed?

I'm sure I wouldn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2333
thanks..

Ah mate then go get into ucl or Oxbridge and turn down your place. Let somebody who wants it in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2334
thanks..

Well it's 5 years, if you start it you can't drop out and apply elsewhere as medicine and dentistry schools won't take you. There's also the factor that you may be thinking 'what if' for the rest of your life. Ultimately it is a risk but you think it is one you are willing to take and that the potential gains are of greater chance and worth than the potential losses.
Its pathetic to see the attitude of some of the people here.

If you don't like a medical school then withdraw your application. Stop complaining to us here. There are many many poor students who are wishing that they were in your place.
I'm going to be very honest with you guys. You might have had other plans and might have been thinking of ending up somewhere else but the truth is life doesn't always turn out as you want it to. There are 2 things you can do
1. Suck it up and live with the fact that this is the only medicine offer you have and there's nothing you can do about it. You're still going to be a doctor :rolleyes:
OR
2. If you really are not comfortable and cannot live with this fact, then just decline the offer. It's your dream. Your choice. Your life. Besides there are others who would benefit from that action :ahee:
Original post by panjabiflower
Does anyone have an upcoming interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since no one else has posted anything, i really really really do hope they've finished interviewing :argh:
Original post by Joannywhite
Since no one else has posted anything, i really really really do hope they've finished interviewing :argh:

Me too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by panjabiflower

I haven't heard from anyone else having a interview still. Looks like your offers are round the corner guys (hopefully)
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending