The Student Room Group

What does getting a tattoo feel like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Getting my tattoo tomorrow :biggrin: so excited but a wee bit nervous. I know whatever pain I feel will be worth it though :smile:
Original post by Yasmin25
Getting my tattoo tomorrow :biggrin: so excited but a wee bit nervous. I know whatever pain I feel will be worth it though :smile:

Post a picture when it's done :smile:
Reply 22
I have quite a few tattoos in various places on my left arm, and lower leg/ankle.

I can tell you for me that all my tattoo's felt the same when getting them done, no matter where on the body. And the pain was pretty bad at some points. All i can say is imagine having a needle dragged through your skin...that's what it is, and that's how it feels.

Worth it though.
I have 6 tattoos, my most recent was on my wrist! It does hurt on the wrist, it's like a burning pain but it is bearable and I just thought it was best to get it over and done with rather than stopping and starting! Hope it goes okay :smile:
Reply 24
Have any of you taken a painkiller before getting a tatt? Some sites say it can help with the pain, others say it makes no difference and others say you are best waiting til after its done to take one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anywhere that's boney without much fat is incredibly painful, anywhere not on bone and with a but of fat will be uncomfortable but perfectly bearable.
Original post by Yasmin25
Have any of you taken a painkiller before getting a tatt? Some sites say it can help with the pain, others say it makes no difference and others say you are best waiting til after its done to take one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never taken one. Don't think you really need too really. Take one after though because it will help if it's really painful but my wrist wasn't painful at all afterwards. If you do decide to take one before you have it done do not take one with aspirin in cos it thins the blood and you will bleed loads!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Ended up not getting my tattoo yesterday! Yesterday morning the electricity ran out and I assumed we had emergency credit left to do us to pay day tomorrow but naw, that was the damn emergency credit that ran out so had to spend my money on a top uo for that rather than my tatt! Was really pissed off because there was only 2 days left til pay day. I was meant to go into town today to reschedule but had a migraine so will have to do that tomorrow.
Reply 28
It doesn't hurt, generally. It hurts very much near the bone, but it's fine near fleshy/fatty areas. You won't need to take painkillers beforehand or anything like that. Honestly, it's bearable.
Reply 29
Got another appointment to get my tattoo done...finally! A week today at 3pm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agree with others - imagine a being carved with a hot knife (maybe a little dramatic but I have quite a large one on the back of my neck which took an hour or two - ouch).
I have a couple - my first one is one my forearm and I was super SUPER nervous, the guy said 'I'm just gonna do this little dot here first' and he did it I was like, is that it!?! Kinda feels like a constant cat sctratch at times, other times just a vibratey feeling under the skin. The guy who did mine has one of those silent guns too which I think helped! Some parts made me clench my teeth a little but like as soon as it's done you forget about it and it didn't put me off getting a second! Wrist I hear is more painful due to being boney but again I'm sure nothing too bad! And because it's a pretty simple tattoo it'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Agree with others - imagine a being carved with a hot knife (maybe a little dramatic but I have quite a large one on the back of my neck which took an hour or two - ouch).

Didn't you say you were afraid of needles?

Maybe it was someone else.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Didn't you say you were afraid of needles?

Maybe it was someone else.

Nope, I am terrified of needles! Not these ones so much though because they aren't intra-venous/hypodermic medical ones, which makes all the difference apparently.
Nope, I am terrified of needles! Not these ones so much though because they aren't intra-venous/hypodermic medical ones, which makes all the difference apparently.

So lets get this straight. Something that just feels like a pin prick terrifies you. Yet you are wiling to have something done which you describe as being like a red hot knife carving you up. You make no sense women!

Guess they are called irational fears for a reason. :tongue:
So lets get this straight. Something that just feels like a pin prick terrifies you. Yet you are wiling to have something done which you describe as being like a red hot knife carving you up. You make no sense women!

Guess they are called irational fears for a reason. :tongue:

It's not the pain I'm afraid of! Jeez, I'm not a wuss :tongue: Pain-wise I'm indestructible :sexface:

For some reason the idea of a hollow needle piercing my skin and finding a vein, and depositing stuff in there REALLY freaks me out....I once fainted in a physics lesson (medical physics) because we were talking about it :redface:
It's not the pain I'm afraid of! Jeez, I'm not a wuss :tongue: Pain-wise I'm indestructible :sexface:

For some reason the idea of a hollow needle piercing my skin and finding a vein, and depositing stuff in there REALLY freaks me out....I once fainted in a physics lesson (medical physics) because we were talking about it :redface:

But with a tattoo you are getting ink deposited under your skin permanently.

I'd an injection over a tattoo anyday.
But with a tattoo you are getting ink deposited under your skin permanently.

I'd an injection over a tattoo anyday.

I know that. It doesn't matter how you explain it to me, it's not going to change my fears is it! I assume that means you don't have any badass tatts yourself then?
I know that. It doesn't matter how you explain it to me, it's not going to change my fears is it! I assume that means you don't have any badass tatts yourself then?

Nope :frown:

I don't get off to pain enough :tongue:
Nor am I a hardcore rocker like yourself.

I also have stupid fears anyway, Just needles aren't one of 'em :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences on tatts :smile:
I'm still pretty nervous tbh but I'm hoping the nerves die down once I get there. The tatt I'm getting shouldn't take too long either which is a bonus :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest