The Student Room Group

Any Ukip Supporters

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Georgie_M
Whether you like it or not immigrants are part of the UK, so allowing them to vote makes it more representative of what the UK wants not less.
<br />
<br />

You have completely missed the point. Most people want the MEP's to represent the British people, not any old person who happens to be living here.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Well they are still British and are more likely to have the long-term interest of the country in their interest, rather than short term gains. It really is quite simple.

A native is going to be more concerned for the long-term future of the country than an immigrant that will care more for their native country. Not particularly rocket science.

Whether that's true or not is irrelevant because as I said, MEPs are not elected by the whole UK, but by regions. While they may well consider themselves to be advocating the interests of the UK as a whole, such a distinction at the level of the elections themselves would be purely arbitrary.
Original post by Ace123
depends how you define fair, EU force the UK to let millions of EU immigrants vote for representatives meant to vote for and represent the UK that in my view distorts the vote and is a policy designed to dilute the British eurosceptic vote. If you have millions of Poles, Bulgarians, Romanians etc voting that will change the votes outcome in favour of the EU because they will not vote for eurosceptic parties. EU gerrymandering

You make a very good point, but of course these immigrants can't vote in the general election. UKIP needs to make an impact in May 2015 to and from the stats may well do so. From what I hear MEPs don't seem to be doing much.
Reply 23
Anyone want to create a UKIP group on TSR?
There already is one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by abrack
There already is one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

link?
Nigel Farage said that if they don't win one seat he'll step down as leader. It would be good to see the egg on his face.
I'm a UKIP "supporter" (in the sense that I don't support the "big three", or the "veggies") and they appeal to me much more so, especially in their clear conviction politics of conveying to the public and proper referendum on the EU as soon as possible (e.g. so not in 5 years time from promising). they also tend to be more "normal" than most politicians who seem to talk down to people, especially in this context of the EU, funnily enough :lol:

although my politics don't really align very much with the "conservatism" of UKIP - for example, on gay marriage, drug legalisation, etc - I'd vote for a libertarian party if I could but I can't so, oh well, bit of a shame but at least UKIP are a step in the right direction with regards to other things
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
<br />
<br />

You have completely missed the point. Most people want the MEP's to represent the British people, not any old person who happens to be living here.

You're mistaken. MEPs are not supposed to represent the UK, they're supposed to represent the population of their constituencies. That includes EU citizens.
Otherwise you may as well say that MPs should only represent people born in their county, rather than any UK citizens living in their constituency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
I would say I'm a Tory and I agree with ukip on most things... except I think leaving EU is not a good idea. I still has little faith in UKIP though, as it has no proven record like a teenage driver:tongue:.

But then again, I've come to the conclusion that the current Tory front bench is completely useless... As most people would agree I guess.

So I'm just going to vote UKIP in the European elections as a protest vote. Hopefully with enough of such votes, the Tories will see some common sense before 2015.
Original post by Kanbei
I would say I'm a Tory and I agree with ukip on most things... except I think leaving EU is not a good idea. I still has little faith in UKIP though, as it has no proven record like a teenage driver:tongue:.

But then again, I've come to the conclusion that the current Tory front bench is completely useless... As most people would agree I guess.

So I'm just going to vote UKIP in the European elections as a protest vote. Hopefully with enough of such votes, the Tories will see some common sense before 2015.

I'm with you there; I finally made up my mind (to side with UKIP, at least definitely for "le european electione") when apparently the net immigration figure last year was like 300k/350k(?) - I'd honestly never seen in so high...maybe it was as high as that but it left me that kind of number in my memory...and this was supposed to be the government that supposed to be lowering the immigration "from the hundreds of thousands to the tens of thousands"
Reply 32
Original post by thunder_chunky
Nigel Farage said that if they don't win one seat he'll step down as leader. It would be good to see the egg on his face.

I'd hardly say it would be 'egg on his face' if he stated he would step down if they failed to win a seat. That would be him living up to his word as a national party leader. If he resists stepping down, that's a different issue entirely.
Reply 33
Support quite a few of UKIP policies; I certainly trust Farage more than any other politician but definitely not his party. I think its a real let down when one of the party nembers does something silly; they should know the media will jump on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arbolus
You're mistaken. MEPs are not supposed to represent the UK, they're supposed to represent the population of their constituencies. That includes EU citizens.
Otherwise you may as well say that MPs should only represent people born in their county, rather than any UK citizens living in their constituency.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, you missed the point.
Reply 35
UKIP will turn this nation into a great one once again. cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
Reply 36
immigration is a beuatiful concept that should be freely available for all to use and enjoy no matter even if they are a well known terrorist
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
I am not a full on UKIP supporter (they are a bit too left for me) however they will get my vote non the less. The user above has it spot on.

UKIP are left-wing???? LOL.

Anyway, yes I am a UKIP supporter.
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
I'm a UKIP "supporter" (in the sense that I don't support the "big three", or the "veggies") and they appeal to me much more so, especially in their clear conviction politics of conveying to the public and proper referendum on the EU as soon as possible (e.g. so not in 5 years time from promising). they also tend to be more "normal" than most politicians who seem to talk down to people, especially in this context of the EU, funnily enough :lol:

although my politics don't really align very much with the "conservatism" of UKIP - for example, on gay marriage, drug legalisation, etc - I'd vote for a libertarian party if I could but I can't so, oh well, bit of a shame but at least UKIP are a step in the right direction with regards to other things

UKIP are libertarian....
Reply 39
Again, you missed the point.

I've got the point much better than you have.

For voting in elections for the European Parliament, all that should matter is that the voters are European citizens. Precisely where in the EU they come from ought to be irrelevant.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending