Spot the difference?

Bl0G4KzIIAArPXL.jpg-large.jpg

Yup.

Not mutually exclusive are they?
Original post by Boab
This, this is, toooooo, good!

Spot the difference?

Bl0G4KzIIAArPXL.jpg-large.jpg

Yes. Option 1 is pensions is a mess. Option 2 is pensions will be even more if a mess in the event of a yes vote.
Reply 8642
And this is the guy they have sent to warn us about it!

http://archive.today/oNg3n

The YES Scotland team are rubbing their hands at these gifts.
Reply 8643
Original post by Cryptographic
Yes, I am just pointing out that there is little/no economic case for independence, however the SNP have offered policies which will cost massive amounts (e.g. free nurseries (which they may already do)) which will increase the deficit even more. This alongside starting the decline of the three major parts of the Scottish economy. (Financial-> rUK, Oil-> declining revenues/reserves, Whisky-> atleast short term increased currency conversion costs.)

However I wouldn't be surprised if after (half) a decade the deficit was doubled.

We've paid £64 billion more into the UK than we've received back out over the last 30 years, Trident will cost us millions to replace and the UK are spending another few hundred million on fighter jets that we wouldnt need post-independence so those things would free up some cash surely?

Opportunities to adjust the tax system to suit ourselves would surely help businesses here and Standard and Poors have said we'll have a Triple A credit rating compared to the UK's Double A rating, I think there's a great economic case for independence.

Most of the impartial, qualified commentators on the topic have said Scotland can be a thriving independent country (Standard and Poor's being one).

To take your Free Nurseries point, if you didn't think we can afford it quite entitled to vote the SNP out post-Yes, it's not as if free child-care is mandatory for independent countries!

I'm not sure why you think those three industries will decline post-independence?

The oil is declining yes but our GDP per capita is the same as the UK's even without the oil, and becoming independent allows us to invest in renewable energy and keep the proceeds (something we couldn't do within the Union). Scotland harbours 1/4 of Europes Wind and Tidal energy, this could be worth billions to us forever ahmen.

The financial industry.. Again not sure why you think this will decline? Bearing in mind none of the financial institutions have said they would leave (yes including Standard Life and RBS).

And Whisky transaction costs, we already export to various countries around the world, incurring transaction costs along the way so what would change. There may be transaction costs to export to rUK but that's only in the event of no currency union (unlikely).
Reply 8644
Are people going to vote No because they might not get 60 odd quid off the state pension when they retire?

Seems silly, most people are advised, rightly so, to have a private pension plan that they can use on retirement.
Original post by sauzee_4
Standard and Poors have said we'll have a Triple A credit rating compared to the UK's Double A rating

You've been reading too much SNP propaganda. They've said no such thing. And three of the seven main credit rating agencies rate the UK as AAA.
(edited 10 years ago)
We've paid £64 billion more into the UK than we've received back out over the last 30 years, [Citation needed] Trident will cost us millions to replace and the UK are spending another few hundred million on fighter jets that we wouldnt need post-independence so those things would free up some cash surely? [No, in fact you will have to pay for more than this. See the last page or two. You will have to pay for lots of setting up costs for the SDF.]

Opportunities to adjust the tax system to suit ourselves would surely help businesses here and Standard and Poors have said we'll have a Triple A credit rating [Citation needed also Fitch said that Scotland would have a worse credit rating.]compared to the UK's Double A rating, I think there's a great economic case for independence. [Not anymore]

Most of the impartial, qualified commentators on the topic have said Scotland can be a thriving independent country (Standard and Poor's being one) [Citation needed].

To take your Free Nurseries point, if you didn't think we can afford it quite entitled to vote the SNP out post-Yes, it's not as if free child-care is mandatory for independent countries!

I'm not sure why you think those three industries will decline post-independence?
Finance -> Moves lots of their Business to rUK where the economy will be more stable short-term. (See Standard Life)
Oil -> Less oil = less revenues.
Whisky -> Lots of the whisky is shipped/sold in UK, there will be import tax, declining profit. Declining taxable profit. declining tax revenues.
These three industries are the main parts of Scotland's economy.

The oil is declining yes but our GDP per capita is the same as the UK's even without the oil, and becoming independent allows us to invest in renewable energy and keep the proceeds (something we couldn't do within the Union). [Barnet formula gives it back] Scotland harbours 1/4 of Europes Wind and Tidal energy, this could be worth billions to us forever ahmen.

The financial industry.. Again not sure why you think this will decline? Bearing in mind none of the financial institutions have said they would leave (yes including Standard Life and RBS). [One word. Stability. Financial institutions are averse to risk, all the uncertainty, between winning the vote and independence will give the companies time to move south of the border, where they know what currency they will be using. Also I think that an EU law forces financial institutions to be based in the country where they do the majority of their business.]

And Whisky transaction costs, we already export to various countries around the world, incurring transaction costs along the way so what would change. There may be transaction costs to export to rUK but that's only in the event of no currency union (unlikely).[Why unlikely? The British electorate is firmly against the currency union, and opposition is rising, this would be political suicide to reverse on. Also there will be import taxes, even if there is a currency union.]
Reply 8647
The problem that NO-campaigners faced is actually getting voters through the door to vote. Many won't be bothered I expect.
Reply 8648
Original post by Good bloke
You've been reading too much SNP propaganda. They've said no such thing. And three of the seven main credit rating agencies rate the UK as AAA.

'Even excluding North Sea output, and calculating per capita GDP only by looking only at onshore income, Scotland would qualify for our highest economic assessment.'

Direct quote from the report

Seems silly, most people are advised, rightly so, to have a private pension plan that they can use on retirement.

And most people don't have such a plan. Fewer than 40% working age people are currently accruing a non-state pension.
'Even excluding North Sea output, and calculating per capita GDP only by looking only at onshore income, Scotland would qualify for our highest economic assessment.'

Please add link.
We've paid £64 billion more into the UK than we've received back out over the last 30 years

The thing is, we have got that money back. It is spent on things that do benefit us like our international embassy network, national infrastructure projects and providing money in grants to less well-off parts of the country.

Ask the same question, in a different context; How much more has Aberdeen paid into Scotland than it's got back? Should Aberdeen become independent?

That is how taxation works. If you put £1 in and got £1 back then what would be the point? We'd end up in a society with a few mega-rich villages who pay for their own services and security, surrounded by areas of griding poverty.

Trident will cost us millions to replace and the UK are spending another few hundred million on fighter jets that we wouldnt need post-independence so those things would free up some cash surely?

The majority of money in those projects goes on Research and Development, so no we wouldn't save much cash.

Opportunities to adjust the tax system to suit ourselves would surely help businesses here

We can do that under devolution.

Standard and Poors have said we'll have a Triple A credit rating compared to the UK's Double A rating, I think there's a great economic case for independence.

Actually Standard & Poors didn't say that. They said that Scotland would struggle to match the UK’s AAA credit.

The UK actually does have a Triple A Credit Rating.

Most of the impartial, qualified commentators on the topic have said Scotland can be a thriving independent country (Standard and Poor's being one).

Of course Scotland could do well as an independent country, but the argument made by Unionists is that we can have a thriving Scotland as part of the wider UK. This gives us the best of both worlds.

The oil is declining yes but our GDP per capita is the same as the UK's even without the oil, and becoming independent allows us to invest in renewable energy and keep the proceeds (something we couldn't do within the Union). Scotland harbours 1/4 of Europes Wind and Tidal energy, this could be worth billions to us forever ahmen.

Renewable energy doesn't make very much money. At the moment (and for the forseeable future) it requires huge government subsidies.

The financial industry.. Again not sure why you think this will decline? Bearing in mind none of the financial institutions have said they would leave (yes including Standard Life and RBS).

It very much depends on what happens regarding currency. If, for example, we were to continue using £Sterling without a formal currency union, then the Scottish financial industry would have no central bank to back them up.

Either the Scottish Government would have to buy significant currency reserves or the industry would relocate to rUK.

An economic assessment is not a credit rating.

Read http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3866b10a-9fa8-11e3-94f3-00144feab7de.html#axzz2zchEJV5Q

The headlines are

Scotland would struggle to match the UK’s AAA credit rating with Standard & Poor’s if it failed to negotiate a currency union with London or the Eurozone

which, of course, it won't have.

while Scotland’s economic backdrop would qualify for its “highest economic assessment”, S&P would worry about the reliance of Scotland on the financial sector.

which rather contradicts the SNP's bullish stance on the size of the financial services sector.
Reply 8653
Original post by Cryptographic

Are you a Scottish resident? If so will try my best to respond to your comments when I finish work. If not obviously no point discussing it.

On the Standard and Poors report though you can see a quote on my post above. Google provides info on it too.

And on the RBS point, all RBS have said on the referendum in it's totality is this: they are investigating an EU law which states financial institutions can't be based in a country different to where they do most of their business - if it is clear they are doing so to avoid stricter regulation - (Sorry can't do bold type on my phone)

So in other words i think it's clear that RBS are just doing their due dilligence like any sensible business would. Haven't said they're leaving though, likewise Standard Life.
Are you a Scottish resident? If so will try my best to respond to your comments when I finish work. If not obviously no point discussing it.

On the Standard and Poors report though you can see a quote on my post above. Google provides info on it too.

And on the RBS point, all RBS have said on the referendum in it's totality is this: they are investigating an EU law which states financial institutions can't be based in a country different to where they do most of their business - if it is clear they are doing so to avoid stricter regulation - (Sorry can't do bold type on my phone)

So in other words i think it's clear that RBS are just doing their due dilligence like any sensible business would. Haven't said they're leaving though, likewise Standard Life.

I will have a vote. Economic assessment =/= credit rating.

However they may be forced to.
Original post by Mackay
The problem that NO-campaigners faced is actually getting voters through the door to vote. Many won't be bothered I expect.

Justification?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Justification?

Just look at Better Together. I know loads of pro-Union people who had not even considered going out leafleting with BT. Almost every nationalist I know is out there as often as possible handing out flyers and the like.

People think the vote is in the bag, so they don't bother turning up to vote.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8657
Just a reminder to please keep the discussions in this thread on-topic, constructive, and civil.
Reply 8658
Original post by Midlander

No justification. Just common sense.

Many will just think "**** it, I've got enough to do today" simply because the pro-vote weighs more in activity than the no-vote.
Original post by Mackay
No justification. Just common sense.

Many will just think "**** it, I've got enough to do today" simply because the pro-vote weighs more in activity than the no-vote.

Were you not talking about physically getting out and voting? Or campaigning? I got a bit confused.

Latest

Trending

Trending