The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

I've basically been celebrating since Friday, hence not posting. One of the best weekends of my life. Congrats to Wolves on winning the league, I'm very very content to go up in second place.
Original post by Jangrafess
I've basically been celebrating since Friday, hence not posting. One of the best weekends of my life. Congrats to Wolves on winning the league, I'm very very content to go up in second place.

To paraphrase a South Park quote, 'Man, if I supported a club as well run as yours I would be soooo happy'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Birmingham have loaned 4 players this season from Manchester United alone (Macheda, Thorpe, Lingard, Blackett), aside from Macheda they've had virtually no previous experience of professional football. Presume that the rest of their loanees are players at a similar stage in their career. With Zigic's £65k per week still on the books, no wonder they don't have two pennies to rub together.

Yeah considering that then it's no surprise their defence has been so poor. Is Zigic really on £65k? He's the biggest (no pun intended) waste of space on that pitch who's only job is to head the ball. I remember we were after him at one point. Thank God he didn't sign for us
Original post by Hooby
Really really want Villa relegated! Why should someone buy you for god knows how many million - it's not fair! Plus with Wolves coming up, us *fingercrossed I think we will* staying in Champ and you and the Baggies with the possibility of relegation it could be a very interesting season next season! We need a good derby/scrappy game - if Millwall are going down I want another interesting away game to come. Cos I don't think much of Leeds away, but Villa away :biggrin:

I highly doubt anyone is going to buy us, all a load of rubbish just to get our hopes up.
BOOOM! Champions, and who better but Lloyd to hand it to us: came from the L1 season and now into the prem :love:
Any predictions on manager of the year in respective divisions? Nigel Pearson seems set to win the Championship award, but I think the League One one might be a little more interesting. It'll probably go to Kenny Jackett because he's going to break the 100 point mark and in the end Wolves have won the division fairly easily but I'd love Mark Warburton to get it. Promotion in his first year in management with a much smaller budget than Wolves isn't something to be scoffed at and the unbeaten run he went on after taking over is pretty impressive. However, it is only half a season so he probably can't win it. Russell Slade deserves a mention for the incredible three quarters of a season Orient had.

Who am I kidding, it's Kenny Jackett isn't it?
Any predictions on manager of the year in respective divisions? Nigel Pearson seems set to win the Championship award, but I think the League One one might be a little more interesting. It'll probably go to Kenny Jackett because he's going to break the 100 point mark and in the end Wolves have won the division fairly easily but I'd love Mark Warburton to get it. Promotion in his first year in management with a much smaller budget than Wolves isn't something to be scoffed at and the unbeaten run he went on after taking over is pretty impressive. However, it is only half a season so he probably can't win it. Russell Slade deserves a mention for the incredible three quarters of a season Orient had.

It's going to be Jackett, the same way Brendan Rodgers is going to get it in the Premier League, and Pearson is going to get it in the Championship.

I'd rather Dyche got it though. Leicester have a squad capable of winning the division, and really should have been promoted last season. Dyche has taken Burnley from 11th, sold Charlie Austin, and still not been out of the top 3 nearly all season. And he has only signed one player for money since his arrival.

Brilliant job.

Difficult call in League 1 as there are worthy contenders up and down the table. Possible sky blue tinted glasses here but I think Pressley should at least be nominated for his efforts with some of the worst off field problems in the FL. No way should he win it but pretty much everything has gone against him this season.

Would be a travesty if Jackett won it. Anyone on this forum could have got Wolves promoted with the money and players available.
Much as I dislike Evans, to get a newly promoted team into the play-offs is quite an achievement, he should be in the running for it.

As for the championship, Pearson would be a good choice, as would Redknapp - afterall, he had nothing to spend and took a team battling relegation on, outplaying everyone... :rolleyes: Just not gravelthroat - no denying he's done well, but he's also such a whiney, small-minded hypocrite.
Sannino must be in the running for Championship Head Coach of the Year is all I'm saying.
Reply 1030
I think Pearson will get the manager award, knew Leicester were going to do well since start of the season and well they managed it :smile:. Leicester's defence has been super throughout with the likes of Morgan. Used to be a fan of Morgan until he went from my home team (forest). Looking forward to next year with Leicester in the Premier league and for once a midland team in the top flight. Burnley have done well to get promoted but not sure on how they survive in the Premier.
For me, the top 3 in the Championship have the 3 best managers (based on this season).

Dyche should win it, as much as I loathe Burnley and his persistent moaning about how they don't get decisions (which is complete and utter *******s).

Don't really want to see Pearson win it as I think most half-decent Championship managers could have got Leicester promoted with the squad they have. But he's done a good job based on the fact that they walked this league.

And, of course, even without my bias, McClaren's done an outstanding job. No-one would have predicted he would take us from 14th to 3rd on a low budget and with next to no big names.

So I'd go Pearson 3rd, McClaren 2nd and Dyche 1st. Honourable mention for wee Billy Davies as well for doing a fantastic job at Forest :colone:
Reply 1032
Original post by Scott129
For me, the top 3 in the Championship have the 3 best managers (based on this season).

Dyche should win it, as much as I loathe Burnley and his persistent moaning about how they don't get decisions (which is complete and utter *******s).

Don't really want to see Pearson win it as I think most half-decent Championship managers could have got Leicester promoted with the squad they have. But he's done a good job based on the fact that they walked this league.

And, of course, even without my bias, McClaren's done an outstanding job. No-one would have predicted he would take us from 14th to 3rd on a low budget and with next to no big names.

So I'd go Pearson 3rd, McClaren 2nd and Dyche 1st. Honourable mention for wee Billy Davies as well for doing a fantastic job at Forest :colone:

I'll just be happy as long as Dyche or Pearson win the championship manager. McClaren got lucky at derby but it is impressive with what he's done.

At least Forest are not in the bottom half of the table and well Billy Davies, he is a bit of a character.
If Gianluca Nani doesn't win Director of Football of the Season just for his signing of Daniel Toszer alone, there's no justice.
Not saying he should win it (I'd give it to Slade to be honest) but everyone demeaning the job Jackett has done doesnt understand. We were a club in crisis, a club with a squad so instilled into the losing mentality. A club lumbered with so many mediocre players who were as passionate as my adored sunglasses. Jackett has rebuilt all that, without spending much of the so called "parachute payments" Jackett has used our fantastic youth facilities, and reconnected a club that had become distant with its fans.

I'm not saying most managers couldn't have got us promoted (Dean Saunders exempt) but I'm saying that not many would have done it in the way Jackett has, which is what makes the achievement more special, to me, as a biased Wolves supporter!
Has to be Dyche, surely? Forced to sell his best player and couldn't spend a penny of the money to replace him. That squad must have one of the lowest wage bills in the Championship yet they've finished comfortably ahead of teams like QPR who spend more on wages than Borussia Dortmund. There were people tipping Burnley for relegation back in August, never mind promotion.
Original post by xsophx
I'll just be happy as long as Dyche or Pearson win the championship manager. McClaren got lucky at derby but it is impressive with what he's done.

Go on then, I'll bite. Please explain how he "got lucky".
Original post by hskjlclcn
Not saying he should win it (I'd give it to Slade to be honest) but everyone demeaning the job Jackett has done doesnt understand. We were a club in crisis, a club with a squad so instilled into the losing mentality. A club lumbered with so many mediocre players who were as passionate as my adored sunglasses. Jackett has rebuilt all that, without spending much of the so called "parachute payments" Jackett has used our fantastic youth facilities, and reconnected a club that had become distant with its fans.

I'm not saying most managers couldn't have got us promoted (Dean Saunders exempt) but I'm saying that not many would have done it in the way Jackett has, which is what makes the achievement more special, to me, as a biased Wolves supporter!

Sorry pal, the financial advantage you had over everybody else was massive. No way should he be getting manager of the year for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scott129

Steve McClaren is actually a brilliant shout - done very well with derby, and got QPR flying in those 9 games while Redknapp was ill.
Original post by sr90
Has to be Dyche, surely? Forced to sell his best player and couldn't spend a penny of the money to replace him. That squad must have one of the lowest wage bills in the Championship yet they've finished comfortably ahead of teams like QPR who spend more on wages than Borussia Dortmund. There were people tipping Burnley for relegation back in August, never mind promotion.

They were 4th favourites to go down. He's done incredible, should win it.

Quick Reply

Latest