The Student Room Group

What's your age and credit card limit(s)?

Scroll to see replies

I'm 24 with £3,400 on RBS platinum, never been anywhere near the limit though.
Reply 41
May sound like a silly question, but from what another poster was suggesting, I thought I'd ask. Can u get several student bank accounts to get an overdraft with each provider? If so are there any special terms to get these?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by Kj2013
May sound like a silly question, but from what another poster was suggesting, I thought I'd ask. Can u get several student bank accounts to get an overdraft with each provider? If so are there any special terms to get these?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can only have 1 student current account however you can have many normal current accounts.

Almost every student account has T&Cs which ban having another student bank account
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43

£3000 Amex Everyday Platinum Cashback (tiered cashback, currently on 1%)
£2500 Nationwide Select (0% for 15 months for purchases, 0% for 28 months on balance transfer)
£1250 Lloyds Student
£800 Halifax Clarity (£5 per £300 month spend)
£500 Capital One Classic Extra

I'll be closing the Lloyds as soon as I get round to it, purely because it gives me nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by Alarae

£2500 Nationwide Select (0% for 15 months for purchases, 0% for 28 months on balance transfer)
£1250 Lloyds Student

I'll be closing the Lloyds as soon as I get round to it, purely because it gives me nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's your oldest CC - I assume it is- why get rid of it? Unless you plan to get more credit in the near future...
Reply 45
I can't believe I never got a credit card until I was 23.
They're amazing, if you use them correctly.

I'm 25 now with a credit limit of £9500 spread over 4 credit cards

3 credit cards of which I still have balances from less than 2 years ago where I spent about £5k in one go on furniture/house things when I bought my first house.

They're all due to have their interest free period run out in the next few months, but there are manageable balances left on them: £800, £500, £200.

I use my Natwest yourpointscredit card for day-to-day purchases that I pay off every month.
It's difficult to not think of it as 'extra money' so I usually make online transfers from my debit card using the app on my phone. Easy peasy and no surprises at the end of it all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by a729
If it's your oldest CC - I assume it is- why get rid of it? Unless you plan to get more credit in the near future...

It's only my oldest by six months, so negligible difference at best to keep it open. I don't use it, so I have no need for it anymore.

I don't want/need any more credit since I have (arguably) the best cashback cards for my situation right now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by Alarae
It's only my oldest by six months, so negligible difference at best to keep it open. I don't use it, so I have no need for it anymore.

I don't want/need any more credit since I have (arguably) the best cashback cards for my situation right now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting- I was hoping that Lloyds will upgrade my student CC to a nice cashback or Platinum card when I stop being a student!
Reply 48
Original post by a729
Interesting- I was hoping that Lloyds will upgrade my student CC to a nice cashback or Platinum card when I stop being a student!

The only interesting one for me is the Choice Rewards, but with the annual fee it just isn't worth it for me.

By card setup now is pretty much as good as it is going to get for me for the foreseeable future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
How quickly did you find your credit limits increasing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Key123

Posted from TSR Mobile

My Lloyds increased from 750 to £1.25k after 6 months and the others are all less than 6 months old
Reply 51
Original post by Key123

Posted from TSR Mobile

My Lloyds card sat at £1000 since opening, but as soon as I almost maxed it when I bought a car (part payment while waiting for funds to clear) a couple of weeks later I received a letter increasing my limit to £1250.

I've never really used it again, if only for like £1 or so to keep it ticking over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Alarae
My Lloyds card sat at £1000 since opening, but as soon as I almost maxed it when I bought a car (part payment while waiting for funds to clear) a couple of weeks later I received a letter increasing my limit to £1250.

I've never really used it again, if only for like £1 or so to keep it ticking over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you pay by DD for a £1 bill? If so do they still take it? I hear Tesco & RBS write off balances under £1.25 lol
Reply 53
Original post by a729
Do you pay by DD for a £1 bill? If so do they still take it? I hear Tesco & RBS write off balances under £1.25 lol

Yep. Have a DD for full balance.

They took 29p before, lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Alarae

Posted from TSR Mobile

They paid more for the DD then they claimed from you lol!

That's good to know as it's a DD for my Club Lloyds!
Im 18 and have:
£2400 overdraft on Halifax account
£1800 limit on Aqua
£750 limit on Vanquis
£250 limit on Capital one
Reply 56
Original post by dan-dream-boys
Im 18 and have:
£1800 limit on Aqua
£750 limit on Vanquis

How did you get such a high limit with Aqua?!
Original post by Runninground
I only have one with a £500 limit. I only started using it recently as I just used my debit card for everything.

-

Wow you like to talk about credit cards...

Yup. Sorry :biggrin: I use credit cards for every thing. They also come with extra protection, so that's useful

Original post by a729
I assume you have the Flexdirect or Flexplus account as well?

I think I might get their Flexdirect account. I just have a standard Flex account (For the free European travel insurance) - I think that covers me and a spouse, if I had a joint account, but Im not married, so I havent looked in to that :biggrin:

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I'm 24 with £3,400 on RBS platinum, never been anywhere near the limit though.

I find that high street banks are more willing to give you more credit than a lot of other companies

Original post by Alarae

£1250 Lloyds Student

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've applied for another Capital One Classic extra, because of the favourable exchange rates.I'll see if I get it..

I got the same offer with Nationwide, but I got £2000 instead of £2500. Lloyds credit cards, as a whole, seem a little rubbish to me. I mean I had the platinum card with a 3K limit, but it didn't really give much except 0% on balance transfers for x months, which I never used

Also, I forget that Nationwide's APR is "relatively low" but that doesn't bother me

Halifax Clarity isn't bad for a foreign card (for taking cash out) (Halifax's APR is 12.9%), so 1.075%/month, which is decent - so long as you pay it quickly, because normally loading fees are at least 2% and a £1 charge... (most banks charge considerably more)

Nationwide is decent for paying by card overseas, but for taking cash out, I have a Norwich & Peterborough account, which gives me perfect Visa rates, with no commission

Original post by Pipsico
I can't believe I never got a credit card until I was 23.
They're amazing, if you use them correctly.

I'm 25 now with a credit limit of £9500 spread over 4 credit cards

3 credit cards of which I still have balances from less than 2 years ago where I spent about £5k in one go on furniture/house things when I bought my first house.

They're all due to have their interest free period run out in the next few months, but there are manageable balances left on them: £800, £500, £200.

I use my Natwest yourpointscredit card for day-to-day purchases that I pay off every month.
It's difficult to not think of it as 'extra money' so I usually make online transfers from my debit card using the app on my phone. Easy peasy and no surprises at the end of it all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see credit cards like fire. Immensely useful if used properly. Use them improperly, and you'll get burned

I had a look at that (debit card), and effectively you're getting back 0.004% which over £3000 is £12. OK fair enough £12 is money.Money is money. I only use my debit card in Aldi, and for getting money out

And then I thought Id have to transfer money on to it, whilst it's effectively losing money elsewhere, so it's not worth getting :biggrin:

Original post by a729

I personally think that nearly all Lloyds products, bar club Lloyds and it's postgrad account are a bit rubbish

Original post by Alarae

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm Lloyds never gave me a higher limit. Then again, I was getting no where near it :biggrin:
Original post by Alarae

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah Lloyds are like that. They'll take whatever the charge is. There must be a certain limit where it costs them too much...

Original post by a729
They paid more for the DD then they claimed from you lol!

That's good to know as it's a DD for my Club Lloyds!

Sorry?

Original post by dan-dream-boys
Im 18 and have:
£1800 limit on Aqua
£750 limit on Vanquis

Im assuming the 2.4K OD is a student OD?

Original post by Iridescenzo
I'm 21 and have never had a credit card. :confused:

Not to worry. Like I said, credit cards are like fire
Twenties.

Personal
American Express Gold ~ Unlimited (In reality capped at 100.000€).
American Express Platinum ~ Unlimited (In reality capped at 100.000€).
Etihad Visa Infinite ~ 700,000 Dhs.
SPG American Express ~ £20,000.

Business
HSBC Business World MasterCard ~ HK$500,000.

The only reason I habe high limits with the AMEX's is due to being a secondary account holder for so long that when I got my own, they were rather generous, also I my AMEX's are paid off by my father not myself. I'm still rather baffled at how I got a 700,000 Dhs limit for my Etihad card but I'm not complaining :tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by de_monies
Sorry?

I need 2 DDs for Club Lloyds and this is one of them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending