The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE's my fault? Can I still apply for Russell Group Uni's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leechayy
Probably Computer Science but idk where, places I originally wanted to go seem way too far out of my wavelength :colondollar:
I hope so thanks for your support :biggrin:

The only gcses they will really care about for computer science is maths and you got A* so I wouldn't worry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by rayquaza17
Still there - I'm just a fresher!

:awesome: How's the year been? What's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by tengentoppa
Unis do take into account which school you went to, and if the rest of your application is good you should have no problem. With regards to your grades, you should take full responsibility for what you got, but what you got isn't bad at all.

Okay but should I have self-taught and paid for other exams instead of solely relying on my school?
I just feel like I could've done more :colonhash::colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:awesome: How's the year been? What's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've really enjoyed it! I liked maths before I started here, but I love it now!

The university itself is great. There's a Dominos in the student union, and a Subway!! And the university is literally right in the city centre - cross one road and you're at all of the shops and the main street in Newcastle.
Reply 24
You should be fine. I only have 8 GCSEs and got offers from 5 RGs.
In my secondary school, I wasn't given the best opportunities and I was only able to leave with about 6 GCSEs and BTECs adding up to 4.5 GCSEs. We chose our options in Year 8 and could only choose 2/3 subjects. During that time, our school only had a 25% pass rate so they started doing more BTEC's to bring that up.

These are the grades I managed to leave school with:

Maths: A*
English: A
Double Science: AA (*)
IFS Level 2 Certificate: A*
Geography: B (Completed a year early)
BTEC ICT: Double Dist*
BTEC Art and Design: Merit
BTEC Business: Merit

Now I'm at college and preparing to start applying to uni by the end of this year, I've noticed my options are limited because of this. Less people are putting as much effort into helping me because I have less GCSEs to the point where and I quote: "Russell Group unis won't even look at your application". Now I'm predicted AAAB in my AS-Levels and I'm doing everything I can to improve my potential application.

Is it my fault why my GCSE profile is weak? Should I have self-studied and tried to pay for external exams to boost my profile? Should I have spent an extra year doing more GCSEs?

I'm really confused especially since everyone else at my college have about 10+ GCSE's and I have 6? People have even told me GCSE count and quality could be a tipping factor for applying for jobs as well.

Be honest, even if the criticism is brutal, all answers and views would be really helpful :colondollar:

Leechayy

A level results matter much much more> then personal statement > then gcse's
You can still apply, I think you have pretty decent GCSE's and defiantly have a chance. If I can get offers from RG's with CCCCCDDEF then there shouldn't be a reason why you can't as well!
Okay but should I have self-taught and paid for other exams instead of solely relying on my school?
I just feel like I could've done more :colonhash::colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The school is partly responsible for what subjects you do. What I mean is that you are fully responsible for the grades you get in that subject.
Reply 28
Original post by tengentoppa
The school is partly responsible for what subjects you do. What I mean is that you are fully responsible for the grades you get in that subject.

Ahh okay I get what you mean :smile:
Original post by physicsbook
You can still apply, I think you have pretty decent GCSE's and defiantly have a chance. If I can get offers from RG's with CCCCCDDEF then there shouldn't be a reason why you can't as well!

Which ones and courses?
Original post by Galileo Galilei
Which ones and courses?

KCL, Exeter, Bristol

All for physics, I've firmed KCL.
In my secondary school, I wasn't given the best opportunities and I was only able to leave with about 6 GCSEs and BTECs adding up to 4.5 GCSEs. We chose our options in Year 8 and could only choose 2/3 subjects. During that time, our school only had a 25% pass rate so they started doing more BTEC's to bring that up.

Now I'm at college and preparing to start applying to uni by the end of this year, I've noticed my options are limited because of this. Less people are putting as much effort into helping me because I have less GCSEs to the point where and I quote: "Russell Group unis won't even look at your application". Now I'm predicted AAAB in my AS-Levels and I'm doing everything I can to improve my potential application.

Is it my fault why my GCSE profile is weak? Should I have self-studied and tried to pay for external exams to boost my profile? Should I have spent an extra year doing more GCSEs?

I'm really confused especially since everyone else at my college have about 10+ GCSE's and I have 6? People have even told me GCSE count and quality could be a tipping factor for applying for jobs as well.

Be honest, even if the criticism is brutal, all answers and views would be really helpful :colondollar:

Leechayy

To be honest with you, you will have absolutely no trouble getting in to Russel groups with those grades most unis require C or above in English and maths only the other subjects are for collage so they can see your the right person people hype up GCSE and while it is important you A levels and PS are what will get you in to uni not your GCSE. looking at your grades and predicted I reccon you could get a place in Cambridge (not Oxford I herd they are funny about GCSE's) if you wanted just beware of the interview Ive herd they will try to throw you off
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
To be honest with you, you will have absolutely no trouble getting in to Russel groups with those grades most unis require C or above in English and maths only the other subjects are for collage so they can see your the right person people hype up GCSE and while it is important you A levels and PS are what will get you in to uni not your GCSE. looking at your grades and predicted I reccon you could get a place in Cambridge (not Oxford I herd they are funny about GCSE's) if you wanted just beware of the interview Ive herd they will try to throw you off

They definitely do care about GCSEs and 5A*-C is merely a minimum requirement. Cambridge DO care about GCSEs, though not as much as Oxford but they would have to ace their ASes and their interview to actually get in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by yl95
They definitely do care about GCSEs and 5A*-C is merely a minimum requirement. Cambridge DO care about GCSEs, though not as much as Oxford but they would have to ace their ASes and their interview to actually get in.

Pretty legit, thanks :biggrin:
By the way, would this mean 98% min? :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty legit, thanks :biggrin:
By the way, would this mean 98% min? :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol no not 98%! 85% should secure an interview for most subjects but to be in with a good chance, 93%+ + impressive interview should stand you in good chance, although some subjects care more about GCSEs than others. What did you say you were thinking of studying? Of course, the higher the UMS, the better.

Leechayy

There is no need to worry. I only have 6 gcses because I only had 6 months to study for them and got place at a Russell group. Your college work matters the most.
Reply 36
Original post by yl95
Lol no not 98%! 85% should secure an interview for most subjects but to be in with a good chance, 93%+ + impressive interview should stand you in good chance, although some subjects care more about GCSEs than others. What did you say you were thinking of studying? Of course, the higher the UMS, the better.

Sorry you said ace so I assumed :mmm:
Computer Science :P
Sorry you said ace so I assumed :mmm:
Computer Science :P

Yeah, ace your Maths UMS (I mean like 95%+ if possible) and Computing UMS if you're doing it. You do have a very low amount of GCSEs, which Cambridge should understand but contact them.
I remember a thread like this a couple of years back and remember a coiple of people who had very average GCSEs ( crap compared to yours) and got into univerisites like Cambridge, UCL, Bristol, Nottingham on the basis of high AS UMS and strong personal statement.
Reply 39
Original post by yl95
Yeah, ace your Maths UMS (I mean like 95%+ if possible) and Computing UMS if you're doing it. You do have a very low amount of GCSEs, which Cambridge should understand but contact them.

Well considering I do Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Economics - that's a low margin available for error there :P

Quick Reply