The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Report matchdayG's posts everyone
Original post by baconbutty
does gary go full blown in his criticism of any manager?

Probably not. I haven't had access to Sky Sports for two years or so now.
Original post by Pete_91
I think Gary is more pissed off at how they dealt with the sacking than anything. Maybe he genuinely believed moyes could turn it around?

Or he doesn't want to burn any bridges with Utd in case the option of coaching there becomes available?
Reply 663
Original post by matchdayG
I'm not the only person - the people of England are clearly satisfied with him given they haven't complained about him for the past 20 years.

So your beef is essentially that he hates you. We've gone from him being a **** pundit, to he hates Arsenal (which I was readily willing to admit could be the case, before). Pulis complained about MOTD highlights being unfair to his Palace team a month ago, therefore establishment bias against Crystal Palace. Yep. The BBC hates Arsenal, yep.

Haha, Alan Hansen who won maybe 8-10 leagues and 3 or 4 European cups, being bitter over a season that he didn't even play much in. Yeah, sure. It's not really good riddance - because he's not being gotten rid of, he's choosing to go.

People I know complain about him non-stop (all different fans too, fulham fan friend of mine despises him for instance). He's still a **** pundit because he skews his analysis in favour of his agenda, which isn't what a pundit should do. He personally hates us, but the establishment bias is mostly pro United/Liverpool (because of the historic success (80s onwards)). Pulis was right to complain too, so was Mourinho (as hard as I find it to agree with him on anything).
Reply 664
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Or he doesn't want to burn any bridges with Utd in case the option of coaching there becomes available?

It's a possibility, but he was also never of the opinion Wenger should go or any other under-fire manager so I think he's just very anti-sacking.
Reply 665
Original post by Pete_91
People I know complain about him non-stop (all different fans too, fulham fan friend of mine despises him for instance). He's still a **** pundit because he skews his analysis in favour of his agenda, which isn't what a pundit should do. He personally hates us, but the establishment bias is mostly pro United/Liverpool (because of the historic success (80s onwards)). Pulis was right to complain too, so was Mourinho (as hard as I find it to agree with him on anything).

I don't think he really is that biased against you, his words about Ramsey earlier on in the season are being used in Arsenal compilations all over. The more I think about it, the less I think he's biased against you. He was comparing Ramsey to Zidane after a good game against Norwich ffs.

Lol, there's no establishment bias towards Liverpool at all. For years and years we were last, second last, third last on MOTD regardless of our result. MOTD and the BBC just favour teams who are successful in the present. Hansen may hate Arsenal, idk. But he's not unduly biased against you from what I've seen. And at the end of the day, he's not a **** pundit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNHdi3bGjo

typical video of Arsenal fans upset that MOTD don't believe that they'll win the league. Saying Arsenal won't win the league =/= bias against Arsenal
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 666
Original post by matchdayG
I don't think he really is that biased against you, his words about Ramsey earlier on in the season are being used in Arsenal compilations all over. The more I think about it, the less I think he's biased against you. He was comparing Ramsey to Zidane after a good game against Norwich ffs.

Lol, there's no establishment bias towards Liverpool at all. For years and years we were last, second last, third last on MOTD regardless of our result. MOTD and the BBC just favour teams who are successful in the present. Hansen may hate Arsenal, idk. But he's not unduly biased against you from what I've seen. And at the end of the day, he's not a **** pundit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNHdi3bGjo

typical video of Arsenal fans upset that MOTD don't believe that they'll win the league. Saying Arsenal won't win the league =/= bias against Arsenal

There is an establishment bias in all of sports media, not just MOTD. It's reflected pretty blatantly by the bbc in favour of United and Sky in favour of Liverpool, mainly because of the amount of pro-Liverpool/united journalists. Phil McNulty is a classic example of this, writing about 3 United related articles a week on the bbc whilst effectively ignoring Chelsea/City/Arsenal and Liverpool in the main. With sky it's the other way around (replace United with Liverpool).

One compliment doesn't make up for years upon years of snide remarks and skewed analysis. He's occasionally been nice about us.

I have no problem with pundits saying we won't win the league, most arsenal fans agreed with that. My problem is the refusal to acknowledge us as contenders, which many (albeit not Hansen) did. Just read the articles in the telegraph about us, read Ashton's character assassination of Ozil (who is apparently 'stealing a living'), read the comparison of reporting over the United Bayern game and the Arsenal Bayern game.

The media is biased towards United primarily, and Liverpool secondarily. It's just the reality of the 80s and 90s sporting success by both clubs.
Original post by Pete_91
There is an establishment bias in all of sports media, not just MOTD. It's reflected pretty blatantly by the bbc in favour of United and Sky in favour of Liverpool, mainly because of the amount of pro-Liverpool/united journalists. Phil McNulty is a classic example of this, writing about 3 United related articles a week on the bbc whilst effectively ignoring Chelsea/City/Arsenal and Liverpool in the main. With sky it's the other way around (replace United with Liverpool).

One compliment doesn't make up for years upon years of snide remarks and skewed analysis. He's occasionally been nice about us.

I have no problem with pundits saying we won't win the league, most arsenal fans agreed with that. My problem is the refusal to acknowledge us as contenders, which many (albeit not Hansen) did. Just read the articles in the telegraph about us, read Ashton's character assassination of Ozil (who is apparently 'stealing a living'), read the comparison of reporting over the United Bayern game and the Arsenal Bayern game.

The media is biased towards United primarily, and Liverpool secondarily. It's just the reality of the 80s and 90s sporting success by both clubs.

and you care about all this, why?

Maybe if we win the league sometime soon someone will ride our dicks as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 668
Original post by Pete_91

Three articles on United because they're simply a bigger story right now? You know, with their manager getting fired and because they're collapsing when they shouldn't be, as the biggest club in the world over the last 20 years? As for Skysports, any Rupert Murdoch company has never been nice to Liverpool, and with the likes of Alan Smith, Charlie Nicholas, Merson etc in their set-up I've never seen any anti-Arsenal bias. Sky this season are bumlicking Liverpool in their ads etc but only because Liverpool's rise is the biggest story in English football after United's demise. For ages and ages they denied that we'd win the title this year.

Lol, I don't know about the Telegraph's articles on you. The same week that Ashton wrote that about Ozil (you already know my views on Ozil, but this isn't the time for this debate), he wrote that Liverpool fans should be ashamed for not truly loving Daniel Sturridge and proceeded to insult us the whole way. Anything from the Daily Mail doesn't count here, it's just sensationalist bull****. Anyway, I can say that I don't follow Arsenal in the news consistently, this whole media vs Arsenal discussion seems defensive and this is not the time for that discussion.

Hansen is not unduly biased against you. I just won't have that accusation labelled against him. He's a perfectly decent pundit who is never averse to recognising quality and to calling out poor defenses. As one of the greatest defenders of all time the world over, you can see why he doesn't like **** defences.
Reply 669
Got a job interview at 6 for graduate mortgage advisor role, anyone with any tips? Man needs money for dat bread ya.
Reply 670
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
and you care about all, why?

Maybe if we win the league sometime soon someone will ride our dicks as well.

In case you didn't notice we did win a lot during that time, but the establishment is already in place. It takes a decade of domination in order to encroach on the kind of media influence that those 2 clubs have. Chelsea have won loads and get very little recognition from the media (besides those first two Jose years). The same can also be said for City.
Original post by Pete_91
In case you didn't notice we did win a lot during that time, but the establishment is already in place. It takes a decade of domination in order to encroach on the kind of media influence that those 2 clubs have. Chelsea have won loads and get very little recognition from the media (besides those first two Jose years). The same can also be said for City.

again, you care about all this, why?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 672
again, you care about all this, why?

Because it's fundamentally unfair?
Original post by Pete_91
Because it's fundamentally unfair?

Isn't that just "life"!
Reply 674
Isn't that just "life"!

I guess an argument can be made for that.
Some OTT comments about Hansen on here. I remember him raving on about how good Ramsey was earlier this season, comparing him to Zidane. He was full of praise for Kos-Mert as well.

He's negative towards us when we deserve it. Simple as that. Great pundit in my eyes.
MOTD in general is pretty amateur anyway, so many ways in which it could be improved, would have to be longer than it currently is though.
Anyway for our winger position, what about Zakaria Bakkali? From what i've seen he's a raw version of hazard and is only 18, 2 footed and can play right wing or as a striker(also played on the left wing this season). His pace is immense but he's had a dip in form recently where he's been dropped/benched from the team. His stats in the Eredivisie aren't amazing (3 in 16) but thats due to lack of playing time, he also scored in the CL this year, and holds the record for youngest player to score a hattrick in the league.

Doubt we'll go for him but i swear we've been linked before, he's the rough diamond that wenger is capable of moulding imo, but we wont be the only ones in for his signature. If we cant get Draxler for a respectable price, he would be my 2nd choice over Greizzman.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
MOTD in general is pretty amateur anyway, so many ways in which it could be improved, would have to be longer than it currently is though.

Very very amatuer, I liked it when they had Leonardo one he provided better insight and that was his first appearance. They don't provide any good insight, I'd rather Gary Neville he isn't biased and provides very very good insight.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

MOTD is very outdated and stale. Honestly wouldn't be that bothered if the BBC binned it tbh, there are so many other ways to watch the goals/highlights nowadays. I don't think i've watched it live since I moved out 3 years ago.

Latest