The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How do you know they aren't disabled, exactly? Just because they've got no visible disabilities doesn't necessarily mean they're any more or less deserving of the space.
I don't think it has to be a physical disability for someone to be eligible but you can't really do anything unless someone is using it without a badge.
Original post by Dez
How do you know they aren't disabled, exactly? Just because they've got no visible disabilities doesn't necessarily mean they're any more or less deserving of the space.

you can only have a blue badge if you have difficulty with mobility

check the government pages for verifications

if they are walking freely without aid / carrying heavy bags etc
Original post by flyyoufools
I don't think it has to be a physical disability for someone to be eligible but you can't really do anything unless someone is using it without a badge.

check the gov pages , you need to have an issue with movement

i can always report the license number or write a post it note
Reply 5
Original post by JeremyClarkson1
you can only have a blue badge if you have difficulty with mobility

check the government pages for verifications

if they are walking freely without aid / carrying heavy bags etc

Unless the rules have changed recently I'm wholly certain that this isn't the case. Some carers are allowed blue badges, for example.
Hm, that sucks :/ My mum tried to get a blue badge after breaking both the bones in her leg and screwing up her ankle. One year on the leg is healed but there's permanent damage to the ankle meaning she still has to struggle to walk with a walking stick but she's not eligible for a badge because she can technically walk the distance required, just that she struggles. Luckily we're in a small town where the places she visits most just let her use them anyway because they get it's bad and they're usually empty anyway.

I'd say take the license number and report it as something for them to look into OR go and talk to them if they look approachable, they might have an explanation.
how do you deal with the Situation?

often I see people use the blue badge but aren't disabled or transporting someone who is

whilst I need to park further for my mother who is

It doesn't apply to all people, but there are a few who will do it out of pure laziness. I was watching a programme about people who work in offices not exercising etc. A woman on it had previously had an operation on her knees. She was fairly overweight and that was the actual only issue that caused the pain. As she began exercising and losing weight, her knees were fine. She was forced to give up her disabled parking because she was fully capable. All she had to do was literally walk a few more meters. But yeah, the only reason she used it was because her lifestyle was incredibly inactive. Some people are under the belief that there's something wrong with them, when in fact, a little exercise would do them no harm at all. My Nan has COPD and heart failure (she's constantly on oxygen) so she really cannot walk far without struggling to breathe and is incredibly weak due to her medication. It annoys me that lazy people take up the spaces for people who are actually unwell. I have no idea advice about what to do about it though, sorry.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dez
Unless the rules have changed recently I'm wholly certain that this isn't the case. Some carers are allowed blue badges, for example.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-can-i-get-one

they can but they must be carrying the person who is disabled at the time
Reply 9
People can be in a lot of pain, but it is not obvious to everyone watching. If someone has a blue badge then they have every right to use the spaces.
Original post by Boomshanka
People can be in a lot of pain, but it is not obvious to everyone watching. If someone has a blue badge then they have every right to use the spaces.

except some people abuse it ... as in , the badge was for a relative but that relative isn't even in the car
Reply 11
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-can-i-get-one

they can but they must be carrying the person who is disabled at the time

Good point. Still, I don't think you should go on a witch hunt just because someone doesn't seem like they need the badge.
I'm sure it wouldn't make a huge difference to your mum either way. Honestly, do people really have nothing better to worry about?
except some people abuse it ... as in , the badge was for a relative but that relative isn't even in the car

they could have taken the relative somewhere, realised that they left something in the car, and went back alone, without their disabled relative to collect it. Or they could have dropped their relative off somewhere.
how would you propose changing the blue badge system?
Original post by qwertyking
I'm sure it wouldn't make a huge difference to your mum either way. Honestly, do people really have nothing better to worry about?

are you serious? that's the whole point of a blue badge

she is paralysed in one side of her body and whilst she can walk with a stick, it takes her about 1 minute to go 1 metre

why should she be inconvenienced with a fully able bodied person couldn't be bothered ?
Original post by Boomshanka
they could have taken the relative somewhere, realised that they left something in the car, and went back alone, without their disabled relative to collect it. Or they could have dropped their relative off somewhere.
how would you propose changing the blue badge system?

I'm just saying some people abuse it who have no reason to

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19368150

there's plenty of other sources, who confirm what I experience, people take up spaces when there's no valid reason
are you serious? that's the whole point of a blue badge

she is paralysed in one side of her body and whilst she can walk with a stick, it takes her about 1 minute to go 1 metre

why should she be inconvenienced with a fully able bodied person couldn't be bothered ?

You don't know what other people have to face and you should probably mind your own business tbh.
I'm just saying some people abuse it who have no reason to

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19368150

there's plenty of other sources, who confirm what I experience, people take up spaces when there's no valid reason

You mentioned people with blue badges, therefore they have the same rights as you have.
What use is moaning about it?
Reply 18
I break their legs and make sure they're disabled enough to be eligible for a disabled parking space next time.
Reply 19
Kick 'em out if you are sure they don't need it. Obviously be polite first - most people assume it's just fine as long as no-one is using it, but will get embarrassed and leave pretty quickly when you tell them that is your rightful spot.

We even had to kick a postman out of the disabled bay once. -_-

But - transporting someone who is, is fine. If they're waiting for the disabled person to finish inside a shop or something, that's also fine. The disabled person just had to be with you, utilising the bay, for it to be valid. It's someone using the blue badge who isn't on the photocard that is the issue but that can be easily checked out.

Latest

Trending

Trending