The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by Isometrix
Lol were we boring when we beat you 6-0. jog on mate.

edit: no reply, that's what i thought.

:lol: as good a reply as you could give.

Although when this disputed was had in the Chelsea thread earlier (me/pistolero vs all of you guys) the debate was clearly ended in favour of Chelsea being boring.
Reply 701
Also I just read the post that said 'everyone report matchdayG's posts' - for what, sticking up for Alan Hansen :lol: This thread is full of stunners
Reply 702
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Anyway for our winger position, what about Zakaria Bakkali? From what i've seen he's a raw version of hazard and is only 18, 2 footed and can play right wing or as a striker(also played on the left wing this season). His pace is immense but he's had a dip in form recently where he's been dropped/benched from the team. His stats in the Eredivisie aren't amazing (3 in 16) but thats due to lack of playing time, he also scored in the CL this year, and holds the record for youngest player to score a hattrick in the league.

Doubt we'll go for him but i swear we've been linked before, he's the rough diamond that wenger is capable of moulding imo, but we wont be the only ones in for his signature. If we cant get Draxler for a respectable price, he would be my 2nd choice over Greizzman.

You already have Oxlade who is nowhere near his peak but is still worthy of playing every week, with Gnabry being the one to be developed. There's literally no reason to buy Bakkali given that it'll be 5-10 years before he reaches his peak and he's not going to be ready for a weekly spot for at least 3 years. Rough diamonds are exactly what you don't need imo.
Original post by matchdayG
:lol: as good a reply as you could give.

Although when this disputed was had in the Chelsea thread earlier (me/pistolero vs all of you guys) the debate was clearly ended in favour of Chelsea being boring.

Everybody knows we're boring. Who cares, if we're that boring don't watch us.
Liverpool's managing director has said Liverpool will spend what it costs to bring in whoever Rodgers targets. Although it's talk, you can imagine Liverpool strengthening a lot - there's no way Rodgers is gonna sit happy even if they do win the title. If they keep Suarez and add a few they're my tip for next year's CL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 705
What a stupid thing to say. Now they've really got themselves into a bigger whole. Weird he'd say that now given how they failed to close the Salah deal in especially.

They're not winning the CL.
Original post by qwerty_mad
Liverpool's managing director has said Liverpool will spend what it costs to bring in whoever Rodgers targets. Although it's talk, you can imagine Liverpool strengthening a lot - there's no way Rodgers is gonna sit happy even if they do win the title. If they keep Suarez and add a few they're my tip for next year's CL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol Liverpool fans think they can play Expansive football in the UCL, they will get piped I just can't wait for next season. When they lose all their matches and start crying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by matchdayG
You already have Oxlade who is nowhere near his peak but is still worthy of playing every week, with Gnabry being the one to be developed. There's literally no reason to buy Bakkali given that it'll be 5-10 years before he reaches his peak and he's not going to be ready for a weekly spot for at least 3 years. Rough diamonds are exactly what you don't need imo.

Always nice to have depth, especially when our players get injured so much, his signing wouldn't break the bank either because PSV have dropped him from the team and he's still young. Ofc i'm not up for spending £15m+ for this kid but if we can get him on the cheap its never a bad thing. We need a more direct winger anyway and hes got more potential than gnabry imo.
Why is Bakkali being linked with Arsenal? :eek:

What an average player he is
Reply 709
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Always nice to have depth, especially when our players get injured so much, his signing wouldn't break the bank either because PSV have dropped him from the team and he's still young. Ofc i'm not up for spending £15m+ for this kid but if we can get him on the cheap its never a bad thing. We need a more direct winger anyway and hes got more potential than gnabry imo.

He's not going to add the right depth we need though especially for the reasons MatchdayG has stated tbh
Original post by Zürich
Why is Bakkali being linked with Arsenal? :eek:

What an average player he is

You don't rate him? I've noticed though there is a lot of good Moroccan Dutch/Belgium players.
Original post by Kruz
You don't rate him? I've noticed though there is a lot of good Moroccan Dutch/Belgium players.

Bit of a dribbler, but not all that effective basically. I find it very hard to judge Dutch players because of the quality of the opposition in fairness, but I wouldn't say he's done anywhere near enough to be linked with the likes of Arsenal as yet. He got some kind of a record for his hattrick and that's what got people talking, but overall....just promising.

Where's the link from btw?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Bit of a dribbler, but not all that effective basically. I find it very hard to judge Dutch players because of the quality of the opposition in fairness, but I wouldn't say he's done anywhere near enough to be linked with the likes of Arsenal as yet. He got some kind of a record for his hattrick and that's what got people talking, but overall....just promising.

Where's the link from btw?

I think we've been linked with for a while, I've only seen him play twice this year.
Over the past decade, would you prefer Liverpool's league finishes or Arsenals?

Arsenal
2013/14 - Likely 4th (though could be 5th)
2012/13 - 4th
2011/12 - 3rd
2010/11 - 4th
2009/10 - 3rd
2008/09 - 4th
2007/08 - 3rd
2006/07 - 4th
2005/06 - 4th
2004/05 - 2nd

Liverpool
2013/14 - likely 1st though could be 2nd or 3rd
2012/13 - 7th
2011/12 - 8th
2010/11 - 6th
2009/10 - 7th
2008/09 - 2nd
2007/08 - 4th
2006/07 - 3rd
2005/06 - 3rd
2004/05 - 5th

Would you trade 4 seasons of finishing 5th-8th for a league title in the fifth year or would you prefer to continue finishing 3rd/4th for five years in a row?
Original post by Zerforax
Over the past decade, would you prefer Liverpool's league finishes or Arsenals?

Arsenal
2013/14 - Likely 4th (though could be 5th)
2012/13 - 4th
2011/12 - 3rd
2010/11 - 4th
2009/10 - 3rd
2008/09 - 4th
2007/08 - 3rd
2006/07 - 4th
2005/06 - 4th
2004/05 - 2nd

Liverpool
2013/14 - likely 1st though could be 2nd or 3rd
2012/13 - 7th
2011/12 - 8th
2010/11 - 6th
2009/10 - 7th
2008/09 - 2nd
2007/08 - 4th
2006/07 - 3rd
2005/06 - 3rd
2004/05 - 5th

Would you trade 4 seasons of finishing 5th-8th for a league title in the fifth year or would you prefer to continue finishing 3rd/4th for five years in a row?

In the context of the new stadium, CL qualification was absolutely crucial. Wenger knew that more than anyone of course.

Arsenal became obsessed with 'top4', because we had to pay some hefty bills which could not be paid with silverware.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 716
Now united have sacked their underperforming manager does anyone think Arsenal will follow suit?
Original post by Zenzic
Now united have sacked their underperforming manager does anyone think Arsenal will follow suit?

Arsene Wenger has met his targets.

He sold, he funded, he saved, he built and here we are. Well done to him. A.F.C is not a plastic club built over days is it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 718
Original post by Zürich
In the context of the new stadium, CL qualification was absolutely crucial. Wenger knew that more than anyone of course.

Arsenal became obsessed with 'top4', because we had to pay some hefty bills which could not be paid with silverware.

You don't know football had their debts gotten too big they could have been bailed out by a foreign billionaire.
Original post by crayz
You don't know football had their debts gotten too big they could have been bailed out by a foreign billionaire.

That is the genius of Arsene Wenger. He would disappear into the night without looking back for thanks, knowing exactly what he has done for AFC. He's a special, special man.

Always building, never looks for praise.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest