Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

University of Brighton 2014 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lcatriona
I'm thinkinging to confirm my offer there :smile:

ah awesome !! where else have you applied to ?
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 181
Original post by marie-sh
I just got an offer from Brighton for Interior Architecture too! I got accepted in Oxford Brookes as well thought do you know the ranking for interior architecture schools? I can't find any for the UK

I have no idea haha when applying I looked at unit that I'd heard good things about in places that I like! It's hard also because most ranks show for just design or architecture, they're not subject specific :frown:

Is OB your insurance? Mines Manchester Met
Reply 182
Original post by lila chemin
ah awesome !! where else have you applied to ?

Bristol, bournemouth and bath. Pretty sure i want to go to brighton though! Do you know if there are any trips or abroad work placements on offer? I couldn't find anything
Reply 183
Anyone firmed brighton for fine art painting course?
Original post by yehya.a
Did they say anything as to why you didn't get an offer?

Yes, apparently my work sent through the portfolio wasn't good enough - however i am coming straight from a levels instead of foundation art diploma so everyone said its going to be really hard to get in there!

Did you guys think that the portfolio specifications for the images were really crappy sizing and quality too?
Reply 185
Original post by SarahCandlin
Yes, apparently my work sent through the portfolio wasn't good enough - however i am coming straight from a levels instead of foundation art diploma so everyone said its going to be really hard to get in there!

Did you guys think that the portfolio specifications for the images were really crappy sizing and quality too?

Oh yeah I got the same, my portfolio didn't meet the 'standard of work' for the course lol, coming straight from A levels as well!

And OMG yes, I was really shocked by the specifications, after posting onto flickr I could barely see the photos they were so small! Just out of interest any chance I could see your portfolio? Did you send it through flickr?
Original post by yehya.a
Oh yeah I got the same, my portfolio didn't meet the 'standard of work' for the course lol, coming straight from A levels as well!

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say, don't be too disappointed about not getting in this time, the vast majority of students coming to this course have a foundation year or other experience after A Levels.

Here's the link to the entry requirements
http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/study/fine-art/painting
'We highly recommend that applicants undertake a pre-degree art and design foundation diploma. For those applying with A-levels only, grades ABB are expected, supported by a strong portfolio.'

From my personal experience as an arts student here, you're much more likely to succeed in getting an interview AND most importantly do brilliantly on the course if you've got that extra experience. Basically ,you're more prepared for the level and pace of study as well as having had the chance to develop your own work more. As with all things there are exceptions of course ... this course is very popular and gets a lot of applications from highly qualified / experienced applicants. Good luck ! And if I can answer any questions, let me know :smile:

Best Wishes
Viv
Hi, I got a firm offer for The fine art painting course, am very excited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the research essay in the 3rd year, a dissertation or is it a shorter essay or is it just the same thing ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got places at both these too! But am so stuck at the moment on where to go... I've been looking at the general "architecture" league tables, what are your thoughts on where to go?
Reply 190
Just applied for Digital Media Development through extra.
Original post by lcatriona
Can anyone tell me more about the Photography course at Brighton?
Are there any trips or placements abroad offered?

Hey! I'm in my second year studying Photography at Brighton. I'd say Photography at Brighton is a Fine Art course. In first year there are 5/6 week projects, where there is a loose title such as "place", where there are no restrictions on the work you produce. It is completely down to how an individual responds to a given theme, which results in lots of different responses! There is a wide range of work produced, and working in different ways is encouraged; for example I've created two moving image piece's for two outcomes of the projects, others have used liquid light emulsion in the darkroom, some stick to producing purely photographs. There are crits every week, which are crucial to the works development, advice from tutors and your peers furthers your practice, and also you work out which tutors you work better with! There is also a more academic side to the course, as we have readings every week where we have to summarise the essay into 500 words, along with an essay each semester. I'm now coming to the end of my second year, and there is a trip to Poland coming up for the Krakow Photomonth which looks exciting; when I was in first year we went to Paris for Paris Photo which was a lot of fun. I think that they try and arrange something most years, I think first year is a great time to go on a trip because you end up speaking to people you haven't really met properly before. In terms of placements, in second year there is a chance to apply for a placement in Japan, which is quite competitive. Other than that unfortunately there isn't an erasmus style scheme set up, but they are hoping to see if something like this will be possible I think. Sorry that's quite a lengthy response - if you have any other questions you're more than welcome to fire away!
Original post by lila chemin
firmed my unconditional for photography in september !! exiting ! anyone else doing the same course ?

Hi Lila, I'm currently in second year studying Photography at Brighton - if you have any questions I will hopefully be able to answer them! Congrats on the offer, it's a great course! :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by lauren_mac
Hi Lila, I'm currently in second year studying Photography at Brighton - if you have any questions I will hopefully be able to answer them! Congrats on the offer, it's a great course! :smile:

Hi Lila, whats it like living in Brighton?
Original post by Ellie_96
Hi Lila, whats it like living in Brighton?

I'm not sure whether that's directed at me or not! (my name's Lauren :smile:) but I love living in Brighton. I think it's a great size for a University town, and its great that London isn't that far away either. There's always something going on, the people are lovely, and the weather is, generally speaking, good. In the summer I spend a lot of the time at the beach or going for bike rides along the sea front etc., there are loads of cafe's/pubs as well. There's usually cheap student nights during the week and lots of house parties etc. at the weekends... always something to do! During winter I made a quick film with my friend about what it's like to live in Brighton over winter (the spring one will be completed soon too!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvsWnqA212Y
Reply 195
Original post by lauren_mac
I'm not sure whether that's directed at me or not! (my name's Lauren :smile:) but I love living in Brighton. I think it's a great size for a University town, and its great that London isn't that far away either. There's always something going on, the people are lovely, and the weather is, generally speaking, good. In the summer I spend a lot of the time at the beach or going for bike rides along the sea front etc., there are loads of cafe's/pubs as well. There's usually cheap student nights during the week and lots of house parties etc. at the weekends... always something to do! During winter I made a quick film with my friend about what it's like to live in Brighton over winter (the spring one will be completed soon too!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvsWnqA212Y

Sorry haha! Saw the name Lila- must have been tired. Ah sounds so nice I really loved it when I went up there, felt like I wouldn't be judged for walking around in my dungarees haha!
Reply 196
Does anyone know which halls are best for Fine Art students? I know Phoenix Brewery are closest but as you have to list other halls when applying for accomodation I'm not sure which ones are best/closest to Grande Parade?
Original post by Ellie_96
Does anyone know which halls are best for Fine Art students? I know Phoenix Brewery are closest but as you have to list other halls when applying for accomodation I'm not sure which ones are best/closest to Grande Parade?

Hi Ellie_96

Good question ...
You're right, Phoenix is the closest, a short walk (5min) from the main Grand Parade building in the centre of town.
Moulsecoomb is next, a short bus ride, or 4 min train ride up the road (about 1.5miles - check it out on google maps or on our website http://www.brighton.ac.uk/maps/ ).
Varley Park is a few mins further along the same stretch.
And the Falmer campus is the furthest - but worth knowing that the distance from Falmer to Grand Parade is 5miles and the public transport between them is good.

Lots of students based at Grand Parade also rent private accommodation in and around the centre of town and very close to where they study.

Hope this helps!
Best Wishes
Viv
Once you have applied for Halls when do you find out which one if any you have gotten into ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kate Kelly
Once you have applied for Halls when do you find out which one if any you have gotten into ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The deadline for applying is 8th of august I think so they'll start allocating halls to ppl after then apparently :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending