The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8720
Original post by Midlander
The graph you posted showed that No went through peaks and troughs with the undecideds. Also there was no threat being made-all 3 were looking out for the interests of RUK, which is a totally valid stance to take. It is no different to the SNP saying they'll take on none of the national debt if they don't get a currency union-both parties looking after their own.Posted from TSR Mobile

This is very clearly a bargaining position!
Original post by Boab
Osbourne has no chance!

He has aspirations on it for himself so to gamble that for the benefit of a state which left the union would be goodnight Vienna for his chances. Ed Balls is a nutter and the Lib Dems will be wiped out in 2015 so the risks for them are somewhat smaller I think.

If UKIP get into government as a coalition partner however, things could get interesting.
Original post by sauzee_4
O

No sharing of the assets equals No sharing of the debt which is absolutely fair in my view.

If Scotland refuses to take any share of the debt then the whole negotiation will be a disaster? you understand that right? But obviously you're nationalist who doesn't care about stuff like that it MUST go your way. As they say you're with us or against us.
Original post by Boab
This is very clearly a bargaining position!

So when RUK do it it's threats and scaremongering but when the SNP do it then it's 'bargaining'? Total double standards there Boab.
Original post by Boab
Aye right!

I gave a very clear indication of why a currency union is nothing like the political suicide you try to suggest.

My attitude has nothing to do with believing the SNP, as you will realise by just about every one of my posts. This isn't about the SNP!

It is you that have taken the 3 amigos word as gospel.

It quite clearly is all about the SNP since they are the only major party backing independence. They've made some token comments about possibly forming a coalition with Labour but have alienated the other voters.
Reply 8725
Original post by Good bloke
There we differ. The three UK party leaders have made a joint declaration from which there is no going back. Whichever of them does so will look an utter monkey and will lose electorally, especially since the UK population generally is against a currency union. We took the same attitude to the euro - it isn't wise for a large country not to have full control over its currency, as the euro has proved.

So Currency Unions never work? Belguim and Luxembourg had one for 50 years and it worked pretty well.
Reply 8726
So when RUK do it it's threats and scaremongering but when the SNP do it then it's 'bargaining'? Total double standards there Boab.

Erm, obviously!

Lets bear in mind, one is a threat countering another threat, and secondly Sturgeons threat costs no votes.
Reply 8727
It quite clearly is all about the SNP since they are the only major party backing independence. They've made some token comments about possibly forming a coalition with Labour but have alienated the other voters.

No.

The SNP are all about independence.
Independence is more than the SNP.
Original post by Boab
Erm, obviously!

Lets bear in mind, one is a threat countering another threat, and secondly Sturgeons threat costs no votes.

Do you not think though that RUK politicians are entitled to look out for the interests of RUK? If it really isn't in our interests to have a currency union with iScotland there's nothing wrong at all with them saying so and to construe it as a threat is plain misleading.
Reply 8729
Much the opposite. The message was 'no currency union'. If Scotland wanted to use its own currency it is more than welcome to, so the question must be asked as to why the Yes campaign is advocating having no financial independence whatsoever by maintaining a currency union with the evil RUK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because through independence we get control of income tax, Corporation Tax, VAT, Air Passenger Duty, National Insurance Contributions, Fuel Duty, Inheritance Tax, Tobacco Duty, Alcohol Duty, Vehicle Excise Duty, Capital Gains Tax, Betting and Gaming Duty, Income Tax, North Sea Oil revenue, just generally get to take decisions which affect Scotland in Scotland.
Original post by Boab
No.

The SNP are all about independence.
Independence is more than the SNP.

What a shame then that their white paper was an SNP election manifesto. They want this primarily for themselves.
Original post by sauzee_4
Because through independence we get control of income tax, Corporation Tax, VAT, Air Passenger Duty, National Insurance Contributions, Fuel Duty, Inheritance Tax, Tobacco Duty, Alcohol Duty, Vehicle Excise Duty, Capital Gains Tax, Betting and Gaming Duty, Income Tax, North Sea Oil revenue, just generally get to take decisions which affect Scotland in Scotland.

None of that counts for anything if your economic policy is tied to that of RUK.
Reply 8732
Do you not think though that RUK politicians are entitled to look out for the interests of RUK? If it really isn't in our interests to have a currency union with iScotland there's nothing wrong at all with them saying so and to construe it as a threat is plain misleading.

Yes. Of course.

I don't believe they made this announcement in the interests of the rUK. In my humble opinion, it was an orchestrated attempt to scare people into voting NO. It has backfired spectacularly!

If they were protecting their interests they would do so by rejecting a currency union after the vote. They are not prepared to pre-negotiate on other issues as repeatedly stated by Cameron, so why this one?
Reply 8733
None of that counts for anything if your economic policy is tied to that of RUK.

Of course it does. That is nonsense!
Original post by Boab
Yes. Of course.

I don't believe they made this announcement in the interests of the rUK. In my humble opinion, it was an orchestrated attempt to scare people into voting NO. It has backfired spectacularly!

If they were protecting their interests they would do so by rejecting a currency union after the vote. They are not prepared to pre-negotiate on other issues as repeatedly stated by Cameron, so why this one?

It isn't a negotiation though, it's a cross-party stance. There is a growing realisation in RUK that Scottish independence has repercussions for, well, RUK and Westminster politicians have recognised that. The SNP's reply of 'we'll take on no debt then' eliminated whatever moral high ground they had on this issue.
Reply 8735
What a shame then that their white paper was an SNP election manifesto. They want this primarily for themselves.

They want it for themselves? :confused:

They want it, end of!!!

For 80 years the SNP have campaigned for independence and people like Alex Salmond will be one of the key figures in Scottish history if YES prevails. But it isn't for personal glory - it is a life's ambition.

After independence, the SNP are redundant.
Reply 8736
Original post by FinalMH
If Scotland refuses to take any share of the debt then the whole negotiation will be a disaster? you understand that right? But obviously you're nationalist who doesn't care about stuff like that it MUST go your way. As they say you're with us or against us.

I'm not a nationalist thanks, never voted SNP in my life either.
Reply 8737
It isn't a negotiation though, it's a cross-party stance. There is a growing realisation in RUK that Scottish independence has repercussions for, well, RUK and Westminster politicians have recognised that. The SNP's reply of 'we'll take on no debt then' eliminated whatever moral high ground they had on this issue.

Moral high ground? This is about winning.

You believe what you wish.

I and many other Scots see this for what it is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
The message was really, the UK won't enter into a currency union; use sterling without one if you wish. Surely the people of Scotland can't be as unintelligent, on the whole, as to misinterpret it as you describe?

See some of the comments on here from the YeSNP brigade. The major partner of any currency union have no. The electorate of any major partner of any currency union have said no and big business is already setting up contingency plans to relocate. Yet somehow they ignore these facts.
Original post by Boab
Moral high ground? This is about winning.

You believe what you wish.

I and many other Scots see this for what it is.

Even if it involves telling blatant lies?

Latest

Trending

Trending