The Student Room Group
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website

University of Gloucestershire- best halls of residence?

I'm thinking this university is probably the best one for me, but I don't know what halls to apply for? Could some students already attending this university share some personal experiences? Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LadyStanners
I'm thinking this university is probably the best one for me, but I don't know what halls to apply for? Could some students already attending this university share some personal experiences? Thanks :smile:

I am a UOG graduate who was a Residential Assistant for a year so showed people around some of the Uni's residences at open days.

First of all what campus are you studying at? Most of the halls of residence are tied to a particular campus so you might have a few different options to consider.

Generally they all rather similar in what you get just the amount of people you are sharing with or whether it's a shared bathroom (rather than ensuite) are the only major differences. There are also some halls that are off-campus and in the town centre like Spa Court or St. Mary's.
(edited 10 years ago)
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website
Reply 2
Spa Court is genuienly the more expensive halls of residence, however it is in the town centre, but also walking distance from two of the campuses. I visited Spa Court and it was lovely, so when you go out on freshers etc, you can literally go around the corner to your hall, BAM
Reply 3

Hi, I have firmed Gloucestershire and will be staying on Park campus. I recently visited an applicants day and got a tour. The majority of accommodation is the same and will have no real difference in your life at Glos. The only thing that may help you decide is asking yourself if you would like to have an ensuite.

Best thing is look on the official website and look through the things each accommodation have then pick the best for you :smile:
Reply 4
I went on the tour on the applicant day too, I have already chosen my accommodation to be Hardwick halls :smile: the thing was I couldn't find a virtual tour on that which was annoying.
Reply 5
Has anyone applied for 'Regency Halls' en-suites???!!! X
I went on the tour on the applicant day too, I have already chosen my accommodation to be Hardwick halls :smile: the thing was I couldn't find a virtual tour on that which was annoying.

Annoyed me too! What are the rooms like at Hardwick?
Reply 7
Original post by Cap'n'cook
Annoyed me too! What are the rooms like at Hardwick?

I still don't know :/ apparently they're the same as Shaftesbury I only got a tour around Shaftesbury

Does this link work?

http://virtualtours.glos.ac.uk/tours/groupings/cap/avon/iframe.html

There's also some photos here: http://insight-dev.glos.ac.uk/departments/ss/accommodation/Pages/Hardwick.aspx

I used to be an RA in my final year at halls in the University and showed people around on the open days. Unfortunately never got to see Hardwick but it seemed like a nice place - the RA's that worked there seemed to love it - and there are a couple of blocks of halls at Hardwick so I would imagine it will be quite sociable and a lot of fun. :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm currently in Halls at UOG and all of them seem really nice, haven't heard anyone with any complaints about any of them. I'm in Pittville halls which is about a 20 minute walk from FCH but its a really scenic walk through the park etc. It was my third choice with Shaftesbury being my first choice and Hardwick my second. The positives of Pitville is that every room has an ensuite and that the rooms are pretty big compared to others I've seen. The kitchens are also a good size as well as a small common room per each flat/ floor which can be between 4 or 6 people. Its also great if you want to get away from the hussle and bussle of the town centre and get a bit depressed if you can see the uni from your bedroom window. There is also a laundry facility on site and a small shop across the road (however it can be quite pricey and it really smells haha, but its good for emergencies if you can't be bothered to treck into town). Cleaners also come in every Tuesday to clean kitchens and communal areas as well as emptying bins every weekday.

Downsides are its a 20 min walk away and the outside buildings look really rundown and deserted. It used to be a teaching campus but they no longer use it, now its just full of desolate buildings. Therefore everyone in other halls think its really grubby at Pittville but inside its actually quite nice, they're clean and functional, all you really need tbh. Buses run ever half hour weekdays/ term time from outside halls to FCH and all the other campuses so if it is a rainy day and you don't feel like walking you always have that option, and its only £1 per journey if you show your student card. The SU is also always dead on Pittville (apart from during freshers fortnight) so if its the nightlife you are after then the other halls maybe more suited to you.

On the open day the only halls I was shown was Shafetsbury which seem really nice and great if you are the sort of person who just likes to roll out of bed and into uni in the morning. Its also right next door to the FCH SU which is more lively as well as a 4/5 minute walk from the town centre. These comments are also applicable to Hardwick but that's more of a 6/7 minute walk to the centre instead. From what i've heard Hardwick have slightly smaller bedrooms than both Hardwick and Pittville though.

Sorry these comments only apply to Ensuite halls for FCH so if this doesn't apply to you then I apologise, but hopefully someone will find it useful. I've only ever been in Pittville (and Shaftesbury once on the open day) so I can't give you an exact opinion but this is just what i've heard from people who have been living there. There is also a rumour that Pittville may be getting knocked down and rebuilt this year or next year, so if this is the case and its no longer an option then I apologise again haha. However whichever one you choose i'm sure you will be fine. They all seem to be to a relatively good standard for student accommodation and none are absolutely awful!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EH1994
I'm currently in Halls at UOG and all of them seem really nice, haven't heard anyone with any complaints about any of them. I'm in Pittville halls which is about a 20 minute walk from FCH but its a really scenic walk through the park etc. It was my third choice with Shaftesbury being my first choice and Hardwick my second. The positives of Pitville is that every room has an ensuite and that the rooms are pretty big compared to others I've seen. The kitchens are also a good size as well as a small common room per each flat/ floor which can be between 4 or 6 people. Its also great if you want to get away from the hussle and bussle of the town centre and get a bit depressed if you can see the uni from your bedroom window. There is also a laundry facility on sight and a small shop across the road (however it can be quite pricey and it really smells haha, but its good for emergencies if you can't be bothered to treck into town). Cleaners also come in every Tuesday to clean kitchens and communal areas as well as emptying bins every weekday.

Downsides are its a 20 min walk away and the outside buildings look really rundown and deserted. It used to be a teaching campus but they know longer use it, now its just full of desolate buildings. Therefore everyone in other halls think its really grubby at Pittville but inside its actually quite nice, they're clean and functional, all you really need tbh. Buses run ever half hour weekdays/ term time from outside halls to FCH and all the other campuses so if it is a rainy day and you don't feel like walking you always have that option, and its only £1 per journey if you show your student card. The SU is also always dead on Pittville (apart from during freshers fortnight) so if its the nightlife you are after then the other halls maybe more suited to you.

On the open day the only halls I was shown was Shafetsbury which seem really nice and great if you are the sort of person who just likes to roll out of bed and into uni in the morning. Its also right next door to the FCH SU which is more lively as well as a 4/5 minute walk from the town centre. These comments are also applicable to Hardwick but that's more of a 6/7 minute walk to the centre instead. From what i've heard Hardwick have slightly smaller bedrooms than both Hardwick and Pittville though.

Sorry these comments only apply to Ensuite halls for FCH so if this doesn't apply to you then I apologise, but hopefully someone will find it useful. I've only ever been in Pittville (and Shaftesbury once on the open day) so I can't give you an exact opinion but this is just what i've heard from people who have been living there. There is also a rumour that Pittville may be getting knocked down and rebuilt this year or next year, so if this is the case and its no longer an option then I apologise again haha. However whichever one you choose i'm sure you will be fine. They all seem to be to a relatively good standard for student accommodation and none are absolutely awful!

That is soo incredibly, perfectly helpful!! Thank you!!!
I live in park campus right now, and its awesome. here's a little video showing you around my room on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2679821
If anyone needs info or photos of St. Mary's feel free to PM me - I stayed there in my final year of Uni (last year) so it should still be the same. I know that one is another that doesn't really have much info/photos on the Uni website.
Original post by EH1994

There is also a rumour that Pittville may be getting knocked down and rebuilt this year or next year, so if this is the case and its no longer an option then I apologise again haha. However whichever one you choose i'm sure you will be fine. They all seem to be to a relatively good standard for student accommodation and none are absolutely awful!

I'm not sure if this is still the plan for Pittville but last year a newspaper published this - if this is what they're planning for Pittville then I have to say it looks really awesome for future students - http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/University-Gloucestershire-student-village-plan/story-18979573-detail/story.html
That won't happen by this September when I might be living there though aha
I'm studying Film production on park campus but I'm hopefully staying in st.marys or spa court, both look lovely and in the centre! can't wait :smile:
Not sure if anyone still checks this post but just wondering what halls everyone has now had confirmed?

I'm studying photography - ad&ed and will be staying in pitville halls in September :-)
Reply 17
Original post by mollyedge
Not sure if anyone still checks this post but just wondering what halls everyone has now had confirmed?

I'm studying photography - ad&ed and will be staying in pitville halls in September :-)

Hey Molly

I didn't get the accommodation I applied for because all spaces were taken, however I did get a place in Regency. If you or anyone else has any details on this accommodation it would be appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bedo
Hey Molly

I didn't get the accommodation I applied for because all spaces were taken, however I did get a place in Regency. If you or anyone else has any details on this accommodation it would be appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm in Regency too! What's your room number? X
Hi check out Severn Vale Housing website, they have an accommodation in Cheltenham town centre, really good rates

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending