The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keromedic
Are you sure? There are such a thing as budget gyms :h:.

But if you really can't then yea, weights will be worth it. Will you get a bar that you'll add disks too?

I haven't found a budget gym in Liverpool! :s-smilie:

I think having a barbell like I had back at home would be good, and some dumbbells, small stack of weights and something to lie on. Gotta keep in mind this'll have to fit in my student room!
If that 'en't self confidence you tell me! :')
Reply 10102
Original post by Robbie242
photo (32).JPG

No longer got my Cambridge swag, No longer have my stache and still looking 100% beta

Haircut does you no favours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Silver Arrows
You have a look of Katie Lyons.

Spoiler

Duuuuuude she's soooo fit in uniform in Bluestone 42.
Original post by Ggmu!
Haircut does you no favours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

u r 1 cheeky...

nah ur probably right
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I haven't found a budget gym in Liverpool! :s-smilie:

I think having a barbell like I had back at home would be good, and some dumbbells, small stack of weights and something to lie on. Gotta keep in mind this'll have to fit in my student room!

I want to do something similar. Dumbbell, barbell, weights up to 100 kg should be plenty right (only weigh circa 60 kg)? And a pull-up bar, etc.

Let me know once you're set up bro, and/or set up a fitness blog, would be good to see your progress. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Davyy
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397506747.653185.jpg

Right.

Your mate looks a bit like Ray Quinn on that photo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
I want to do something similar. Dumbbell, barbell, weights up to 100 kg should be plenty right (only weigh circa 60 kg)? And a pull-up bar, etc.

Let me know once you're set up bro, and/or set up a fitness blog, would be good to see your progress. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a standard I've got to work back to! 3 years of not training's left me somewhat deflated. I'll make a post once I'm all set up :biggrin:
Reply 10108
u r 1 cheeky...

nah ur probably right

Lol. No offence intended, jus sayin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
have another one

photo (33).JPG

You look a bit like Bill Hader to me...take that how you want.
XD I'm just gonna smile and nod :yes:

I'll admit, not so much tv cartoons but...
uh..

Anime. But nothing sketchy.

I went for food snack :biggrin:

Well I don't watch many TV cartoons other than what my little brother watches: Regualar Show, Phineas + Ferb, Adventure Time :teehee:

Oooh Anime.. Which ones?

Please don't say your a fan of Naruto :3

Anyways I'm off for the night :smile:
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
I went for food snack :biggrin:

Well I don't watch many TV cartoons other than what my little brother watches: Regualar Show, Phineas + Ferb, Adventure Time :teehee:

Oooh Anime.. Which ones?

Please don't say your a fan of Naruto :3

Anyways I'm off for the night :smile:

Sounds tasty! :biggrin: I've been munching on a dry baguette from tesco :biggrin:

Nooo not Naruto, and I got bored of Bleach, I haven't even looked at One Piece yet..
No, recently I've watched some Norigami, Kill la Kill, Space Dandy (I gotta catch up there), Railgun... uuuh.. I've forgotten the names of the others :')

Have a good sleep!

[[EDIT: Kyousougiga, that's another]]
(edited 9 years ago)
I got a standard I've got to work back to! 3 years of not training's left me somewhat deflated. I'll make a post once I'm all set up :biggrin:

Make sure you keep me posted too! I've just jumped back to the healthy bandwagon!
Original post by Davyy
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397506747.653185.jpg

Right.

Is the guy on the left called Dev? Looks familiar.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Thts the mentality you want to adopt , trust me :biggrin:

Every lifter had to start somewhere , an can all empathize with ur feels right now

Joining the gym at first is going to be incredibly daunting , your going to walk onto the gym mat the first time and look around you , seeing all these jacked silverbacks and then struggle to pick up 8kg or something lol .

I'd recommend reading up quite a bit and looking at videos of the exercises so at least you have some idea of what your going to be doing and how to perform it correctly. 5x5 routines are THE best routines for a beginner , and when followed correctly your strength will rocket sky high within weeks , but if you really want to start from rock bottom there are always the resistance machines which are easy to use but I wouldn't recommend , maybe the first week or two after joining the gym ? These work out a range of muscle groups your going to want to target (chest , upper back , lower back , legs ).

Where you really want to be though , is in the free weight section . Core exercises which target multiple muscle groups are going to be the best option for you : Bench Press , Squats , Dead lifts , Overhead Press etc look them up , I know your probably going to think there's no way I can do that ... Start very very low , and slowly add weight,

Protein shakes can taste pretty decent , I currently have unflavoured though which pretty much tastes like sick but i gulp it down nonetheless.

If you have a friend whos looking to join too , it would be an excellent choice . Not only can they help you by spotting you (making sure you perform excercises ok ) ., they will motivate you to go and the journey you make together will only solidify your friendship.

Best of luck ,

:biggrin:

That's good to know, so even if I'm failing at the start the secret is to just keep with it until I become better, practice makes perfect as they say :holmes:

I'll get this all noted down, also after exams I'll return to the fitness forum for a full batch of advice

I'll probably start with flavoured, don't fancy drinking sick :tongue:

Ah if only, all my friends are asians (inb4 stereotype) who just do maths/physics etc rather than girls and lifting, that been said I'm somewhere in between the two of those categories :lol:. Maybe I could go with my bro sometimes, he's healthy and has been to the same gym I've been to before :smile:

Thanks for all the helpful advice! smash my exams and get dem gains! :teeth:

Gonna vouch for the shakes here. I prefer Chocolate Mint since Vanilla can get sickly after a while, strawberry tastes a little odd for me. I usually buy them from Myprotein.com, although they seem to have changed since the last time I bought something from there [[I've been out for 3 years, the shame]] but I hope it's still good, certainly cheaper than Holland & Barretts

Thanks I'll get this noted down as well

Original post by I'veGotAHadron
I have a typical adjustable dumbbell set where I can add weights to the handle as needed.

I also use a pull-up bar.

I started with the typical compound exercises (Press-ups,pull-ups, chin-ups) etc.
And I use the dumbbells to target specific muscles and for squats.

I'm going to continue to do this until I plateau and then possibly join the gym.

I've probably started to plateau on chin-ups though, I can do 20 consecutively in proper form whereas the average is like 2.

Edit: I support the 5x5 idea.

Also getting this noted, thanks a lot!
Original post by MJ1012
You look a bit like Bill Hader to me...take that how you want.

I'll take that as a compliment?, there was an actor I got linked to on here who has my exact face, its weird
(edited 9 years ago)
photo (32).JPG

No longer got my Cambridge swag, No longer have my stache and still looking 100% beta

Haircut and I think you might be suited to having more stubble.

Bar that you're looking good.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Haircut and I think you might be suited to having more stubble.

Bar that you're looking good.

I do see people always mentioning haircuts but is there somewhere I can see available styles that would suit my face type? I don't feel like randomly trusting the hairdresser to do something new. My hair has literally always being like this, I just keep cutting it growing it back etc but I've never known how to really style it or what cut to go for.

I'll see about the stubble and thanks bro!
Reply 10118
I do see people always mentioning haircuts but is there somewhere I can see available styles that would suit my face type? I don't feel like randomly trusting the hairdresser to do something new. My hair has literally always being like this, I just keep cutting it growing it back etc but I've never known how to really style it or what cut to go for.

I'll see about the stubble and thanks bro!

Slowly get more hair cut over time and slowly decrease length over multiple cuts. I know this sounds a bit silly, but it works. I used to have longish hair and now it looks much better short. Doing it over time meant no one idiot Barber could screw it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
photo (32).JPG

mirin TFIOS

Latest