The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DurhamXI
No. I would honestly rather have Nasri back than that ****.

Would you really like to see a United revival led by Cesc though? Surely that'd be a bigger kick in the teeth than anything he's done so far.
Original post by Pete_91
Would you really like to see a United revival led by Cesc though? Surely that'd be a bigger kick in the teeth than anything he's done so far.

We have first option on him so if he has a choice between us or them we would have to sign him just for reasons of pride. To stop him going to that rabble. But, if he were to sign for City I would not stop him. Anyone but Utd or Chelsea basically.

I have no doubt though, the man would **** us over given the chance and join United.
We have first option on him so if he has a choice between us or them we would have to sign him just for reasons of pride. To stop him going to that rabble. But, if he were to sign for City I would not stop him. Anyone but Utd or Chelsea basically.

Well that was my point. Why not City but you would stop him going to Chelsea?
Original post by Pete_91
Well that was my point. Why not City but you would stop him going to Chelsea?

Chelsea because of the historic London rivalry. City, to me, may as well be another foreign football club, they are nowhere near resembling our historic rivals so it is not really a problem to me.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
That line-up'd be a slap in the face to Ramsey after the season he's had

True, but suppose we had a WC striker, and some quick ****er on the left.

Cesc could always play as a false 9.
Reply 885
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Apparently Barcelona want to make a move for Ozil? They're even readying a bid of 27.4 million, typical Barca trolling.

That's a bs story by "Sport". Any 8-year-old with a good imagination and acceptable language skills can write for them and make stuff up.
No. I would honestly rather have Nasri back than that ****.

He was one of the most talented and creative midfielders to ever grace the Premier League, to not get him back at a bargain price, when he's only 26, would be a mistake.

If we were to get Fabregas back it would give us quality strength in depth and it wouldn't necessarily isolate Ramsey. All it means is that we would have to adapt our formation to a 4-3-3, like how we used to play in 2008-9, or how Madrid play sometimes, which is actually quite advantageous because in the big games we have been easy to play against and predictable with our set-up.

I don't think he will leave Barcelona anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 887
Original post by jam277
This. I hope they're banned. They are scumbags in the transfer market. UEFA have no balls and they'll get away with it. Or they'll do some bull**** thing like give them the ban in the January transfer window despite allowing them to spend in the summer.

Na, it's been postponed.

No doubt it'll be overturned though.

So much half-knowledge spread about this it's amazing (not only you). As I said, an appeal against a sentence must be granted suspensive effect, regardless of whether it is Barcelona, Chelski, Arsenal, Fulham, Austria Lustenau, Bayern, BVB, etc. This is not UEFA having "no balls" or doing some "bull**** thing" but UEFA sticking by their own rules and basic law. Anything else would be against basic law, UEFA and FIFA rules, and thus be appealable. So this is not UEFAlona, but a perfectly legal procedure.

The appeal is not likely to be accepted thus the ban probably won't be overturned, but it is likely to be reduced/changed. Why? Not because UEFA have no balls, but because they made mistakes in the sentence - at least 1 out of the 10 deals in question was legal and correct, so naturally, this must be considered by UEFA/CAS unless.

If you want UEFA to have some balls though, then you should also call for a lot of PL clubs to be investigated as they're doing their business in the same way, except they use loopholes by inventing non-existent training grounds, hire the parents as bus drivers etc to enter a legal grey area. Still the same "crime" though.

What scumbaggish deals are you referring to though, other than Cesc? I could swear you said it was the football you hated the club for, and not the transfer dealings/youth policy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua
So much half-knowledge spread about this it's amazing (not only you). As I said, an appeal against a sentence must be granted suspensive effect, regardless of whether it is Barcelona, Chelski, Arsenal, Fulham, Austria Lustenau, Bayern, BVB, etc. This is not UEFA having "no balls" or doing some "bull**** thing" but UEFA sticking by their own rules and basic law. Anything else would be against basic law, UEFA and FIFA rules, and thus be appealable. So this is not UEFAlona, but a perfectly legal procedure.

The appeal is not likely to be accepted thus the ban probably won't be overturned, but it is likely to be reduced/changed. Why? Not because UEFA have no balls, but because they made mistakes in the sentence - at least 1 out of the 10 deals in question was legal and correct, so naturally, this must be considered by UEFA/CAS unless.

If you want UEFA to have some balls though, then you should also call for a lot of PL clubs to be investigated as they're doing their business in the same way, except they use loopholes by inventing non-existent training grounds, hire the parents as bus drivers etc to enter a legal grey area. Still the same "crime" though.

What scumbaggish deals are you referring to though, other than Cesc? I could swear you said it was the football you hated the club for, and not the transfer dealings/youth policy.

UEFA do lack balls though:

"Uefa president Michel Platini says no clubs will be excluded from the Champions League or Europa League for breaching financial fair play rules.

Manchester City and Paris St Germain are understood to be among around 20 clubs dealt with by Uefa's Club Financial Control Board (CFCB) earlier this month, with those facing action to be announced on 5 May.

Platini told Le Parisien newspaper that the maximum penalty would not be applied, saying: "There will be some tough things but I think there will be no exclusions from European competition. I think that significant sanctions will affect the big clubs. We will go through with this.""

Essentially, fines. What a load of *******s, let's hurt the clubs where they can't even feel it.
Reply 889
Original post by Pete_91
UEFA do lack balls though:

"Uefa president Michel Platini says no clubs will be excluded from the Champions League or Europa League for breaching financial fair play rules.

Manchester City and Paris St Germain are understood to be among around 20 clubs dealt with by Uefa's Club Financial Control Board (CFCB) earlier this month, with those facing action to be announced on 5 May.

Platini told Le Parisien newspaper that the maximum penalty would not be applied, saying: "There will be some tough things but I think there will be no exclusions from European competition. I think that significant sanctions will affect the big clubs. We will go through with this.""

Agreed, they are incompetent in so many areas, no doubt about that. Just saying that this particular case was perfectly normal, and any club would have received the same treatment (or else they could have taken legal steps against FIFA/UEFA).

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
this basically. none of the barca players were lying, he'd probably go to spain every other day to sit on puyols lap asking him to tell the mean men at arsenal to let him go, without coming out himself to say anything. lol at him getting booed though.

He did say something, in May 2011 he was asked on a public media event in Tarragona in Spain whether he would go to Barcelona if he left Arsenal, to which he said yes, and went on about how he wanted to play for Barcelona because, "my friends are doing well there". Also said he didn't know whether Barcelona wanted him, but a move there would be what he would like.

Edit- Video of this:
[video="youtube;46bdtJnYTuk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bdtJnYTuk[/video]

So so awkward. Especially because in August Wenger still said that he was "optimistic" Cesc would stay. So either Wenger fooled the media, tried to escape reality or Cesc wasn't completely honest to him.

Still I think Cesc still cares much more about AFC than Nasri or RVP, so I doubt it was "crocodile tears". I guess Wenger was right when he said that Cesc was "torn between two loves", but he should just have been honest or clear about it to avoid a lot of awkwardness.

Original post by baconbutty
he's terrible as a false 9 though he's bin boo'd by barca fans regularly when he plays there.]

He isn't terrible as a false 9. He has had his best start into the season on this position since joining Barcelona this season, being Europe's top assister and also racking up a good amount of goals. Barcelona fans are stupid, they also boo Messi, so that's no indication
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua

He did say something. In April 2011 he was asked on a public media event in Spain whether he would go to Barcelona if he left Arsenal, to which he said yes, and went on about how he wanted to play for Barcelona because, "my friends are doing well there". Also said he didn't know whether Barcelona wanted him, but a move there would be what he would like.

Edit- Video of this:

So so awkward. Especially because in August Wenger still said that he was "optimistic" Cesc would stay. So either Wenger fooled the media, tried to escape reality or Cesc wasn't completely honest to him.

Still I think Cesc still cares much more about AFC than Nasri or RVP, so I doubt it was "crocodile tears". I guess Wenger was right when he said that Cesc was "torn between two loves", but he should just have been honest or clear about it to avoid a lot of awkwardness.

Fair enough, I guess only Cesc and Wenger will truly know what happened and it would be nice to see what Arsene would say to a potential return for him. I swear there were comments made by Wenger that Fabregas would return to Arsenal one day, so maybe not too much bitterness in the air. I've also heard interviews where Pique(?) says that Fabregas is still passionate about Arsenal and watches our games etc., that could just be some trolling though and not too sure on the date either.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/24/cesc-fabregas-arsenal-barcelona
you can never tell whether he is speaking the truth or just acting the role of a wolf in a sheep skin after what he did but I sure wouldn't mind a return if he came back as a coach, not decided if i want him to come back as player though, not too sure how he would fit in our system without denying players like Ramsey/Wilshere.
Original post by qua

That is the rules, I never said that the appeal is a problem. That's fine. But if they give a 1 window ban e.g. and put it in the jan transfer window, that's essentially Barca going off scott free even if on paper they did get a punishment. Reason why I say this is because Barca barely buy big signings in January. I'm not going to act like I know all the rules because I don't, I just feel that something like that will happen/speculating. So they'll get their players in the summer and then next summer they'll strengthen again, like they do every season.

I dislike the public tapping up of players, that's not to say that other clubs haven't been guilty of this but Barca are the worst. There's a difference between saying you'd like fabregas to come to revealing secrets about his desire to move club then saying he's been on loan to Arsenal, the club that gave him a chance and made him the world class player he is today and basically inaugurating him to Barcelona a year before he went there. Then there's Fabregas going on strike and making Wenger look like a fool. The song issue a year later just personified them, they basically announced that Song is going to go there before he even went there. I find it great that he's been poor there and rarely plays, same with how the Barca fans complain about Fabregas every season there.

I lost a lot of respect for the club for that. I don't really care about the youth policy and what you do there but what Barca did with Fabregas should have been punished, at least morally. Like I said before I respect how Van Gaal, Rijkaard, Pep and others have nurtured the youth but the Fabregas episode is clearly a case of tapping up that has gone unpunished.

I dislike Barcelona for various reasons, their pseudo humility being one of them, their style of play and their public tapping up of players. There's probably more to the list that they do but other clubs do. I do like a few people at the club though like Messi, Pique and Puyol. Abidal was one of my favourite players too, important to the team but seemed like the unspectacular guy.
Reply 892
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Fair enough, I guess only Cesc and Wenger will truly know what happened and it would be nice to see what Arsene would say to a potential return for him. I swear there were comments made by Wenger that Fabregas would return to Arsenal one day, so maybe not too much bitterness in the air. I've also heard interviews where Pique(?) says that Fabregas is still passionate about Arsenal and watches our games etc., that could just be some trolling though and not too sure on the date either.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/24/cesc-fabregas-arsenal-barcelona
you can never tell whether he is speaking the truth or just acting the role of a wolf in a sheep skin after what he did but I sure wouldn't mind a return if he came back as a coach, not decided if i want him to come back as player though, not too sure how he would fit in our system without denying players like Ramsey/Wilshere.

Yes, all this is speculation mostly. About his passion for/interest in Arsenal, this is from his Instragram:
http://instagram.com/p/ekBQHuCXLK/

Of course that's no "proof", but from everything he has said and also from the way he talked about the Özil deal or AW's 1000th game for example, it does seem like he genuinely still feels close to the club. And he has always repeated how AW has been the most important person for him, not just when he left Arsenal or now for the AW tribute video, but in many interviews in which he was asked about it through the years.

That said, of course that might be fake and it's easy for him to say that now after leaving the club, but then I don't see any reason why he should still put so much emphasis on Arsenal. He could just as well stop talking about it if he didn't care.

Original post by jam277
That is the rules, I never said that the appeal is a problem. That's fine. But if they give a 1 window ban e.g. and put it in the jan transfer window, that's essentially Barca going off scott free even if on paper they did get a punishment. Reason why I say this is because Barca barely buy big signings in January. I'm not going to act like I know all the rules because I don't, I just feel that something like that will happen/speculating. So they'll get their players in the summer and then next summer they'll strengthen again, like they do every season.

Yes, I see the problem with the January transfer ban, as that would be no punishment at all since as you say Barcelona do no business in January. Legally that of course can't be a reason for extending the sentence to two windows if the rule infringements don't require it, the sanctions depend on the actual "crime" and not on what would really make the accused suffer", but morally you have a point. You always have that problem though. Saying that, I doubt the transfer ban would be reduced to just one January window. If it will be reduced, it will likely be two windows and no fine, or one summer window and the original fine, or no ban and a huge fine (which I think is unlikely but if true then indeed UEFA are being a little soft).

Original post by jam277
x

I'm totally with you on the Fáb and Song deals and I didn't like the fashion in which they were done (nor did I like the deals as such, Song especially has been a horrible signing and Fáb just hasn't worked out so far), just thought there were more deals you were talking about since what you said sounded very general.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nick Clegg's an Arsenal fan? *******s
Original post by Pete_91
Nick Clegg's an Arsenal fan? *******s

No wonder your fans are bipolar and chat ****. :colonhash:
Original post by jam277
No wonder your fans are bipolar and chat ****. :colonhash:

Can't even argue with that, first Piers and now Clegg, who next Tony Blair? **** it.
Original post by Pete_91
who next Tony Blair? **** it.

Original post by little_tom

Haha have seen that before actually.
Original post by qua
Yes, all this is speculation mostly. About his passion for/interest in Arsenal, this is from his Instragram:
http://instagram.com/p/ekBQHuCXLK/

Of course that's no "proof", but from everything he has said and also from the way he talked about the Özil deal or AW's 1000th game for example, it does seem like he genuinely still feels close to the club. And he has always repeated how AW has been the most important person for him, not just when he left Arsenal or now for the AW tribute video, but in many interviews he was asked about it through the years.

That said, of course that might be fake and it's easy for him to say that now after leaving the club, but then I don't see any reason why he should still put so much emphasis on Arsenal. He could just as well stop talking about it if he didn't care.

I love reading the comments on stuff like that lol, cracks me up.

He has quite a relationship with us on instagram, liking and commenting on our pics and stuff. I would see no reason for him to do that stuff either tbh, it's not like RVP, Nasri or even Song to my recollection pull that.
Original post by qua
Agreed, they are incompetent in so many areas, no doubt about that. Just saying that this particular case was perfectly normal, and any club would have received the same treatment (or else they could have taken legal steps against FIFA/UEFA).

He did say something, in May 2011 he was asked on a public media event in Tarragona in Spain whether he would go to Barcelona if he left Arsenal, to which he said yes, and went on about how he wanted to play for Barcelona because, "my friends are doing well there". Also said he didn't know whether Barcelona wanted him, but a move there would be what he would like.

Edit- Video of this:

He isn't terrible as a false 9. He has had his best start into the season on this position since joining Barcelona this season, being Europe's top assister and also racking up a good amount of goals. Barcelona fans are stupid, they also boo Messi, so that's no indication

He contributes in dead games youre the only barca fan ive seeb who says cesc is a good false 9 and they are entitled to boo messi when hes displaying a clear lack of effort

Latest