The Student Room Group

Can I self-teach IGCSE's Geography and get an A*?

If I self-teach IGCSE's Geography, and AT LEAST, get help of a Maths Teacher to help me with the percentages and diagrams, is it possible for me to get an A*?
Geography is very much compost of the learning of case studies you wouldn't need an maths tutor unless you really struggle. If you were to print off the specification and past papers and fully learn what is needed and get to grips with all of the case studies I'm sure you would do well in the exams but there is also course work which you would need the help from an experienced geography teacher. I don't think you could get an A* if you learnt it yourself without a teacher but there could be a chance dependent on the course work. Good luck.
Yes, definitely. I am studying several IGCSEs, and, though I would obviously say it is easier with some tutor support, it is certainly possible to get the maximum grades without.

What you need to realise is exactly how much information is out there for you. You can find out the exact - literally - syllabus from Edexcel, you can get many books and past papers, and anything you don't understand you can check out easily.

This might sound stupid, but I really think there is no excuse for not getting an A* in any exam. You have everything at your disposal to do so, it just get a bit lonely sometimes without a teacher there.
Original post by MouseyBrown
Yes, definitely. I am studying several IGCSEs, and, though I would obviously say it is easier with some tutor support, it is certainly possible to get the maximum grades without.

What you need to realise is exactly how much information is out there for you. You can find out the exact - literally - syllabus from Edexcel, you can get many books and past papers, and anything you don't understand you can check out easily.

This might sound stupid, but I really think there is no excuse for not getting an A* in any exam. You have everything at your disposal to do so, it just get a bit lonely sometimes without a teacher there.

I disagree you need a teachers support and professional guidance.
Original post by Darnellc018

It may well be easier, but that doesn't at all mean you need tutor support.

Why would you, if everything that you need to learn is available to you regardless of whether you have a tutor or not?
Reply 5
Original post by Darnellc018

Well I disagree that you think a teacher is necessary. I had no physics teacher for the past two years but i know the specification and everything i need to know with complete confidence (self taught )
Reply 6
Thank you for your opinion, Darnellec018! I will take it in count but I think that Mousey and Hbazam are also right.
Reply 7
In what you are right is in the fact that obtaining the population and the lives' condition is really difficult. What do you recommend I could do, guys?
Reply 8
Original post by HelenaVon
In what you are right is in the fact that obtaining the population and the lives' condition is really difficult. What do you recommend I could do, guys?

Are you taking the exam thats in two weeks or next year?
Reply 9
I'm taking this exam in eight months.

Well for starters you can't do that, because the exams only run in the June series.
Reply 11

If you mean the ones in a year (May/June 2015) then you have plenty of time, if you're thinking of starting now...you could even get an A*. Honestly its all about how committed you are.
Reply 12
Okay, thank you very much. What methods of studying do you recommend for IGCSE's?
If you need help with percentages and ratios, I advocate that you should not be self studying anything. Focus on your mathematics!
Reply 14
Original post by MouseyBrown

im wanting to start igcse in biology to sit the exam in June. are you doing biology or science and is there any coursework? are you actually studying yourself or are you with a provider eg ICS? as long as I get a c for uni to get into nursing that's fine. ive been told I can start almost straight away but not sure who to go with or whether I could just sit an exam. also were edexcel useful in helping with exams? I have a few centres to phone up on Tuesday. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest