The Student Room Group

thoughts on war / drone warfare

Poll

what is your opinion of war?

Just curious really!
Completely against all war but want to know other peoples opinions plus I hate the drone programme used mainly by the US and now the UK far too many civilians killed, opinions

Scroll to see replies

To be perfectly honest I believe drone and robotic warfare is the way to go. We should be pushing for more of it.

what is your opinion of war?

I don't understand, does this mean for or against the use of more drones in war or do you mean for or against war in general?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by drona101
Just curious really!
Completely against all war but want to know other peoples opinions plus I hate the drone programme used mainly by the US and now the UK far too many civilians killed, opinions

For the use of remotely piloted vehicles in various areas of warfare.

Against the unregulated operation of those aircraft by certain agencies.

MASSIVELY against the continued ignorance of what UAVs are, how they work and the ways in which different forces operate them.
Reply 3
Original post by Snagprophet
To be perfectly honest I believe drone and robotic warfare is the way to go. We should be pushing for more of it.

I don't understand, does this mean for or against the use of more drones in war or do you mean for or against war in general?

Just war in general, do you think that it is ever a good idea? Can it ever be "just"
Reply 4
On rare occasions, war may be the lesser of two evils.

As UAVs become available in more nations, their increased use is likely to lead to reduced loss of life which is only a good thing. Drones vs people does seem a little unfair, but having already decided to blow people up does really matter how sporting we are about it?
Reply 5
I'm pro war when it is justified both morally and legally.

Peace for some leaves others at peace to perpetrate mass atrocity.

Peace not always the moral course of action, or even justified.

Anyone who is a hard-line pacifist it either a) Ignorant b) naïve or c) unethical
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Just war in general, do you think that it is ever a good idea? Can it ever be "just"

Never heard of the 'Just war' principle?
The question and possible answers, mainly the answers, are somewhat poor. It's dealing in black and white, war IS ALWAYS or IS NEVER justified/good. There are times when it is good, just or the "best" way to deal with an issue, there are times when it is a terrible decision.
Reply 8
Fed up of hearing all this **** about 'drones'. Wrong term to start with.

Too many people jumping on bandwagons thinking these things are designed exclusively to kill civilians. Bull****.

Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems are serving a great purpose on a large scale. Of course there will be incidents where they will be called into question but this happens with absolutely everything the Armed Forces do.
Just curious really!

Could you elborate? What does it even mean to say that you're 'against all war'?
Reply 10
Useful in counter insurgency operations and for targeted strikes. But unsure of what impact it will play in conventional warfare.
Reply 11
UAVs/RPASs are the way forward. I reckon we'll probably build another manned strike fighter after the EF2000 Typhoon & F-35 Lightning production ceases before then switching full production over to UCAVs.

As stated above by various posters, war is justified when the alternative is worse.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I very much support drone warfare, our biggest threat stems from apathy and naivety in matters of foreign affairs.
As long as there is good security reason for it, I'm in favour of war, including drone warfare. Some wars are fought for good reasons.

Maybe action could be taken to reduce accidental civilian casualties from drone strikes though.
Reply 14
We need more war I reckon Ukraine, Japan and Papa New Guinea should be next on our drone list.
Reply 15
Original post by Rakas21
I very much support drone warfare, our biggest threat stems from apathy and naivety in matters of foreign affairs.

Exactly war is not wrong, peace is. Chaos is a ladder and we must climb it, peace leads to complacency and genocides.
Reply 16
Original post by crayz
Exactly war is not wrong, peace is. Chaos is a ladder and we must climb it, peace leads to complacency and genocides.

Kudos for the GOT reference.

War is not wrong where it is just, i fully support us removing tyrants to secure our interests and aid in the creation of better consumer markets.
Reply 17
Sometimes war is the option with the least bad consequences. It's foolish to absolutely oppose war in any possible circumstances.

As for drone warfare, all of the alternatives are likely to cause even more civilian deaths. The pilot of a drone, safe in his control room, is able to spend time judging the best way to avoid unnecessary casualties, a luxury which isn't often granted to the pilot of a manned aircraft.
For the first time since their introduction the U.S. trained more drone pilots then conventional pilots this year. Also, because of the physical limitation of human pilots during aerial combat, drones are being explored as a way to overcome these limitations in, "dogfighting", situations.
Reply 19
Original post by Arbolus

As for drone warfare, all of the alternatives are likely to cause even more civilian deaths. The pilot of a drone, safe in his control room, is able to spend time judging the best way to avoid unnecessary casualties, a luxury which isn't often granted to the pilot of a manned aircraft.

Agreed. Why some people cannot comprehend this is beyond me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending