The Student Room Group

How to get A* in my GCSE Triple Science ?

helloooo, i have got my GCSEs exams soon and i was wondering what things i should do to ensure i get an A* /A in my triple science exam, also any useful revision site ? :smile:

thank youu xx :3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're on AQA:
http://www.my-gcsescience.com/

Tips:
=> Keep on going over the topics, even if you think you know them. It'll keep 'em fresh in your mind.
=> Do ALL the past papers, and after you've done them, note down the topics you did wrong so you can focus your revision.
=> GET HOLD OF THE SPECIFICATION!!! I cannot stress this one enough, this document tells you EVERYTHING you need to know for YOUR course.
=> Make pretty posters.... ('cause colors....)
Agree completely with above. I did all that and got my A*s. I was actually going to say all of that when I first saw the thread, ESPECIALLY my-gcsescience. That man is a GOD! Also, the specification literally has everything you need to know. Learn that back to front and you'll be set. Just reaffirming tohaaaa I suppose :tongue:
Reply 3
There is no 'secret'. Just do loads of past papers, get the revision guides and know your modules thoroughly. Practise, practise, practise.
Read through revision notes and do past papers and questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
When I did my GCSEs I was on OCR, and I literally did every single past paper I could find, some of them twice. I got 3A*s and I think that's what really helped - you might see that certain questions come up most years, or really similar questions.
Reply 6
Do literally every past paper available so you can get used to the sort of questions they ask and get a clear idea of what you need to revise. Systematically work through each section of the syllabus for your revision - remember that for GCSE you don't necessarily have to understand things too well, as you can get away with just rote-learning a set answer by picking out the wording of the syllabus. Bitesize and my-gcsescience.com are great but sometimes they can be a bit vague. There are loads of videos on youtube, just search for the topic you want.
Reply 7
Hi can you help me please
I dont know how to revise the specification
i dont think reading it is gonna keep it stuck in my brain
please reply asap
Reply 8
Original post by ILovePancakes
Agree completely with above. I did all that and got my A*s. I was actually going to say all of that when I first saw the thread, ESPECIALLY my-gcsescience. That man is a GOD! Also, the specification literally has everything you need to know. Learn that back to front and you'll be set. Just reaffirming tohaaaa I suppose :tongue:

How do i perfect my exam technique using past papers?
i really want an A grade please help
Original post by TS21
How do i perfect my exam technique using past papers?
i really want an A grade please help

I made a gazillion flashcards for each section of the specification.
For example:
Q. What is active transport?
A. Active transport is a process that enables cells to absorb ions from very dilute solutions. It is when substances are absorbed against a concentration gradient. It requires energy from respiration.

Then memorised all the answers on the flashcards. This is how I learn, but everyone is different.
It's a good way of doing it, because you sometimes get the exact same question in the exam.
Use mygcsescience. This man is a God. Youtube him and you'll know what I mean :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Michael_98
Read through revision notes and do past papers and questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do i do past papers effectively? please help
Reply 11
memorise the text book, imprint it on your brain and know what the questions are asking you, they are all just looking for trigger (key) words...
Reply 12
I made a gazillion flashcards for each section of the specification.
For example:
Q. What is active transport?
A. Active transport is a process that enables cells to absorb ions from very dilute solutions. It is when substances are absorbed against a concentration gradient. It requires energy from respiration.

Then memorised all the answers on the flashcards. This is how I learn, but everyone is different.
It's a good way of doing it, because you sometimes get the exact same question in the exam.
Use mygcsescience. This man is a God. Youtube him and you'll know what I mean :tongue:

My gcse science is good, i used it last year but only got a C, i dont know how to revise from it, me looking at it and watching it is all well and good, 5 minutes later i will forget and i certainly wont remember on the exam day
How did u revise using him? specifically?
anything other than flash cards ?
Original post by TS21
My gcse science is good, i used it last year but only got a C, i dont know how to revise from it, me looking at it and watching it is all well and good, 5 minutes later i will forget and i certainly wont remember on the exam day
How did u revise using him? specifically?
anything other than flash cards ?

I practically only used him and got A*s in chem and physics and an A in bio.. made notes alongside the videos and just learnt the specifications really. He explained the parts of the specification I didn't understand.
Reply 14
[QUOTE="ILovePancakes;47297077"]I practically only used him and got A*s in chem and physics and an A in bio.. made notes alongside the videos and just learnt the specifications really. He explained the parts of the specification I didn't understand.[/QUOTE

Learn the specification? I don't understand how you can? its quite brief? allow it my exams in 3 weeks and i need all the help i can get
i feel like i can revise, but not remember.
which actually sucks considering i want an A, i just got an A in my ISA so 25% is done but yeah you can understand the panic
Original post by TS21
I practically only used him and got A*s in chem and physics and an A in bio.. made notes alongside the videos and just learnt the specifications really. He explained the parts of the specification I didn't understand.

Learn the specification? I don't understand how you can? its quite brief? allow it my exams in 3 weeks and i need all the help i can get
i feel like i can revise, but not remember.
which actually sucks considering i want an A, i just got an A in my ISA so 25% is done but yeah you can understand the panic

You literally just need to know the specification. They can't ask you anything more than that. I just made flashcards and revised them over and over till I knew them all.. Took me about 8 hours? Then I did two specification papers.

However, everyone is different. What works for me may not work for you.
Reply 16
Same!
1. make notes
2. do past papers
3. go on mygcsescience.com
PAST PAPERS AND ANY OTHER QUESTIONS! Then you can go over what ever else you don't know already- it saves so much time IMO but then I am not a revision person so anything that reduces the time spent memorising facts and reading textbooks and replaces that with answering questions and actively thinking is good
Reply 18
You literally just need to know the specification. They can't ask you anything more than that. I just made flashcards and revised them over and over till I knew them all.. Took me about 8 hours? Then I did two specification papers.

However, everyone is different. What works for me may not work for you.

Can you link the AQA additional science specification papers?
8 hours? was that all in one day?
Original post by TS21
Can you link the AQA additional science specification papers?
8 hours? was that all in one day?

They're on the AQA website. Just google it.

Yup, one day for each :biggrin: (once revision cards were made.
Well.. I forgot about my physics until 7pm the night before.. but that's another story :facepalm:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending