The earth is round

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lie number 11-

The sky is blue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lie number 12-

Gravity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like russians in Ukrain,Scottish people should be let to control their own destiny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skunkboy
Like russians in Ukrain,Scottish people should be let to control their own destiny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The great thing about Scottish independence is that, if achieved, it will have been a free and fair referendum that is legal and just.

Nothing about what Russia is doing in Ukraine is comparable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maths Tutor
The likes of yourself, L i b and Midlander will never change your spots.

No matter how many times your lies have been exposed, you return with the same ones again and again and again.

Original post by MatureStudent36
Which lies would they be?

Lie number 10:

Original post by L i b
But it would be the UK government that would finally be signing any agreement on the dotted line.

In which universe does one country sign agreements on behalf of a 'foreign' country?

Original post by euphful
The same universe that requires every member state of the EU to agree on an outside nation becoming a member. Sorry.

Other countries AGREEING to accept a country as a member is the same as ONE COUNTRY SIGNING ANOTHER COUNTRY'S MEMBERSHIP AGREEMENT ON ITS BEHALF in your opinion?

Original post by euphful
Well of course, if Scotland was going to enter the EU through treaty change then the only way to bring about that change within the mechanisms of the EU would be for the UK (as the member state) to negotiate that, if Scotland wanted a deal before Independence Day. Otherwise they could wait for independence and then apply externally. Do you know how the EU works at all? I can promise you I've got an exam on it in a few weeks and it's wry dry and very dull if you're not in to that sort of thing. It is not, however, as simple as you seem to be suggesting. Scotland can't negotiate anything until it is independent.

Truth:

Like L i b, you are lying by avoiding the issue and trying to suggest that other members AGREEING is the same as Scotland SIGNING.

Only SCOTLAND as an independent nation can sign on the dotted line to be a member of the EU, NOT rUK.

That will happen on the actual date of independence, if not earlier.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Scotland will be a member of the EU on Day 1 of independence.

I don't think one country has ever signed an agreement on behalf of another country.

As 'Bitter Together' are fond of saying, Scotland will be a 'foreign' country after independence.

If you believe one country can sign on behalf of a 'foreign' country and accept Barosso's interpretation of how the EU works regarding Scotland, you will surely fail your exam.
Original post by euphful
I asked you when there had been a landslide result for any party with a vote share in the 30s. You made that assertion, I asked you when it had happened. It is not up to me to answer questions not even relating to the original assertion.

Back up your claim or retract it.

I will be happy to retract my claim it if is wrong if you provide a full answer:

What % of the vote did Thatcher get in 1983 and what % of the seats?

What % of the vote did Thatcher get in 1987 and what % of the seats?

What % of the vote did Blair get in 1997 and what % of the seats?

What % of the vote did Blair get in 2001 and what % of the seats?

What % of the vote did Blair get in 2005 and what % of the seats?
Original post by euphful
I asked you when there had been a landslide result for any party with a vote share in the 30s. You made that assertion, I asked you when it had happened. It is not up to me to answer questions not even relating to the original assertion.

Back up your claim or retract it.

I have now checked the figures and I accept that I made a mistake.

Little more than 40% of the popular vote can and does result in 'landslide' wins in the Westminster parliament.

Not little more than 30% as I had stated earlier.

However, otherwise my point relating to the post is still valid: the Scottish parliament HAS proportional representation, Westminster is VERY FAR from it.

1983: 42% of the vote gave 61% of the seats in parliament (19% points more than deserved)

1987: 42% of the vote gave 58% of the seats in parliament (16% points more than deserved)

1997: 43% of the vote gave 63% of the seats in parliament (20% points more than deserved)

2001: 41% of the vote gave 63% of the seats in parliament (22% points more than deserved)

2005: 35% of the vote gave 55% of the seats in parliament (20% points more than deserved)

There would not have been a majority in Westminster in any of those elections, let alone a 'landslide' majority.

The best result in 1997 was 7% points short of a majority.

Contrast that with the 'landslide' in Scotland:

2011: 45% of the vote gave 53% of the seats in parliament (8% points more than deserved)

That was 5% short of a majority, a better result than Labour's 1997 "historical landslide".

L i b, a staunch supporter of the undemocratic Westminster parliament and Westminster rule over Scotland claims that the Scottish parliament is not proportional enough.

Original post by L i b
We have a more proportional system for electing the Scottish Parliament than we do for the UK Parliament elections, however it is clearly still a far way off being proportional. Note how we have a majority government elected without being close to a majority of the popular vote.

5% short of a majority in Scotland in 2011 is far more proportional and democratic than the 22% short of a majority of Labour's 2001 'landslide' majority.

It is NOT a "far way off" and it IS "close to a majority".
Lie number 3:

Truth:

The banking collapse happened under the incompetence of Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling and the London based Financial regulator, NOT under the watch of Alex Salmond.

RBS chief Fred Goodwin was given a knighthood by Westminster, NOT by Alex Salmond.

The gambling department of RBS did its gambling which led to the collapse from London, NOT from Edinburgh.

RBS's major operations, through its subsidiary National Westminster Bank, were in England, NOT in Scotland.

Bank of Scotland's major operations, through its subsidiary Halifax, were in England, NOT in Scotland.

The banks were bailed out by the countries according to the proportion in which they carried out their businesses. The USA put in much more money to bail out UK banks than the UK.

The UK BORROWED and PRINTED money to bail out banks.

Whatever an independent Scotland would have done is THEORETICAL.

Scotland could have contributed ITS share of the bailout. It is a lie to claim that Scotland would have had to bailout the entire UK operations of RBS + Natwest or Bank of Scotland + Halifax.

Alex Salmond wished good luck to Fred Goodwin in the acquisition of AMRO bank in the anticipation that it would bring benefits to Scotland. He was in no way aware of or responsible for the decision making at RBS. So it is complete lie to claim "backed by Salmond".

Northern Rock, a bank in England, "led the way", not RBS.

Remember this one?

http://www.cityam.com/article/alex-salmond-backed-rbs-s-abn-disaster
Lie number 8:

Truth: SCOTLAND will finally sign any agreement on the dotted line when it is INDEPENDENT, NOT rUK.

In which universe does one country sign agreements on behalf of a 'foreign' country?

The force is strong in you. Was there a special tent for you to go to at the SNP conference?
Other countries AGREEING to accept a country as a member is the same as ONE COUNTRY SIGNING ANOTHER COUNTRY'S MEMBERSHIP AGREEMENT ON ITS BEHALF in your opinion?

That's the EU that Salmond lied about having legal advice then?
Lie number 5:

Truth: The FACT was already pointed out but you are unable to accept the truth:

Look at the actual boundaries and tell me what your problem is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lie number 3:

Truth:

The banking collapse happened under the incompetence of Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling and the London based Financial regulator, NOT under the watch of Alex Salmond.

RBS chief Fred Goodwin was given a knighthood by Westminster, NOT by Alex Salmond.

The gambling department of RBS did its gambling which led to the collapse from London, NOT from Edinburgh.

RBS's major operations, through its subsidiary National Westminster Bank, were in England, NOT in Scotland.

Bank of Scotland's major operations, through its subsidiary Halifax, were in England, NOT in Scotland.

The banks were bailed out by the countries according to the proportion in which they carried out their businesses. The USA put in much more money to bail out UK banks than the UK.

The UK BORROWED and PRINTED money to bail out banks.

Whatever an independent Scotland would have done is THEORETICAL.

Scotland could have contributed ITS share of the bailout. It is a lie to claim that Scotland would have had to bailout the entire UK operations of RBS + Natwest or Bank of Scotland + Halifax.

Alex Salmond wished good luck to Fred Goodwin in the acquisition of AMRO bank in the anticipation that it would bring benefits to Scotland. He was in no way aware of or responsible for the decision making at RBS. So it is complete lie to claim "backed by Salmond".

Northern Rock, a bank in England, "led the way", not RBS.

Salmond advocated even more de regulation of the banking system and clearly stated that he'd follow that policy in the event of a yes vote.

You haven't actually grasped that Salmond seems to have no consistent policy. He yells people what they want to hear in order to gain support. In the last five years he's wanted to adopt the €, then the £. Then it was outside NATO now he wants to be in it.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Salmond advocated even more de regulation of the banking system and clearly stated that he'd follow that policy in the event of a yes vote.

You haven't actually grasped that Salmond seems to have no consistent policy. He yells people what they want to hear in order to gain support. In the last five years he's wanted to adopt the €, then the £. Then it was outside NATO now he wants to be in it.

Well you can understand why he doesn't want the Euro anymore.

As for NATO, I agree that it is just a u turn in order to try and get some more support. It's so these people who have doubts about whether we will be able to "defend ourselves" can feel secure. I was personally very annoyed with SNP when they announced that they want to join.
Nationalists are being portrayed very strongly, as a group, as people that will hitch their horse to any wagon that is moving towards independence, even if it means abandoning supposedly strongly held principles to do so. They come across as singularly amoral and single-minded.
Lie number 4:

Truth:

Boab's logic works if you assume every Yes voter is anti-Westminster. I never said that and I don't believe it to be the case.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler

Then he should probably have been more careful about championing it as a currency and calling the pound 'a millstone around Scotland's neck'. By advocating the pound he is admitting that being in the union does indeed confer some financial benefits to Scotland.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler

As for NATO, I agree that it is just a u turn in order to try and get some more support. It's so these people who have doubts about whether we will be able to "defend ourselves" can feel secure. I was personally very annoyed with SNP when they announced that they want to join.

Yet the is a requirement for entry into the EU. Even Boab acknowledges that we'd have to rejoin that.

and here in lies the problem. The SNP are standing for something to be everything to all people. In the event of a yes vote how many people are going to realise they've been led down the garden path ?

I want to stay in the UK as I believe being part of the UK has benefitted us immensely. However it worried me greatly that the political party that is leading the charge fir us to leave isn't coming clean in the slightest and making it up as it goes along. I had more respect for Jim Sillars as at lea the followed the course that he believed in. Salmonds ego is going to cause big problems for is in the event if a yes vote. Even with a no vote, which I'm sure will be returned, I worry about the divisions that he is creating. You only have to look at the delusional rankings of Maths Tutor for that who has convinced himself that we're colonised and being rules by foreigners. people like that tend to act irrationally when they realise their sense of environment, surroundings and shared identity doesn't hold with the majority viewpoint.
Original post by Midlander
Then he should probably have been more careful about championing it as a currency and calling the pound 'a millstone around Scotland's neck'. By advocating the pound he is admitting that being in the union does indeed confer some financial benefits to Scotland.

He found himself having jumped from the frying pan to the fire. Now the frying pan doesn't seem so hot and he has jumped back into it, but he expects the UK to keep its temperature comfortable for him and to mop up his spillages. At the same time he was wittering on about an area of prosperity around iScotland, Ireland, and Iceland. Then the Irish and Icelanders had a tiny wobble and he shut up about it.
I have now checked the figures and I accept that I made a mistake.

Little more than 40% of the popular vote can and does result in 'landslide' wins in the Westminster parliament.

Not little more than 30% as I had stated earlier.

However, otherwise my point relating to the post is still valid: the Scottish parliament HAS proportional representation, Westminster is VERY FAR from it.

1983: 42% of the vote gave 61% of the seats in parliament(19% points more than deserved)

1987: 42% of the vote gave 58% of the seats in parliament(16% points more than deserved)

1997: 43% of the vote gave 63% of the seats in parliament(20% points more than deserved)

2001: 41% of the vote gave 63% of the seats in parliament(22% points more than deserved)

2005: 35% of the vote gave 55% of the seats in parliament(20% points more than deserved)

There would not have been a majority in Westminster in any of those elections, let alone a 'landslide' majority.

The best result in 1997 was 7% points short of a majority.

Contrast that with the 'landslide' in Scotland:

2011: 45% of the vote gave 53% of the seats in parliament (8% points more than deserved)

That was 5% short of a majority, a better result than Labour's 1997 "historical landslide".

L i b, a staunch supporter of the undemocratic Westminster parliament and Westminster rule over Scotland claims that the Scottish parliament is not proportional enough.

5% short of a majority in Scotland in 2011 is far more proportional and democratic than the 22% short of a majority of Labour's 2001 'landslide' majority.

It is NOT a "far way off" and it IS "close to a majority".

As I said, you don't need to convince me of the shortcomings of FPTP. I am an advocate of electoral reform and some form of PR.

We had a referendum on electoral reform for General Elections and the country quite resoundingly rejected it, even in Scotland, so for now I have to accept it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending