The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Krish4791
Yeah I hope Djokovic is all right, he has been Mr Consistent for the last 3/4 years and it would be great to see if he can win the French this year

Yeah, hopefully it's nothing too serious because that would be disastrous for him and the game. Nadal has been looking shaky since the AO so we may have a different champion this year: Djokovic, Wawrinka, Federer, Ferrer it could be a really interesting tournament but you can never right Rafa off
Does anyone follow WTA? Vekic wins her first title in Malaysia at 17. I think she's one to watch for the future.
Reply 522
Stan Wawrinka really is The Man. Comes from a set down to beat Federer and win his first ever Masters 1000 title in Monte Carlo. He's beaten Murray, Djokovic, Nadal and Federer in their most recent meetings since last year and has a 6-0 record against the Top 10 this year (second is Fed with 6-2).
Very very good win for him. Feel bad for Federer though, he played ok but lost it badly in the 3rd set and he's probably lost his only chance to take the Monte Carlo title.
Phenomenal final set from Stan - amazing to think he won his first Grand Slam before his first Masters but it's really special for the first one to be Monte Carlo!
Original post by jamiepango
Does anyone follow WTA? Vekic wins her first title in Malaysia at 17. I think she's one to watch for the future.

That's a good sign - I've heard promising things about her, and I saw her play in Edgbaston last year. She's strong off the ground and should be a great prospect for the future, plus to beat Cibulkova in the form she's in over a tight 3 hour match shows good nerve.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 525
Federer disappoints me again. He can't win finals anymore.

On a plus side, Stan the Man is definitely a contender for the FO. If Novak isn't fully fit by the FO, Stan is my second favourite for RG behind you all know who.
Original post by Sirocco11
That's a good sign - I've heard promising things about her, and I saw her play in Edgbaston last year. She's strong off the ground and should be a great prospect for the future, plus to beat Cibulkova in the form she's in over a tight 3 hour match shows good nerve.

Yes, I think we'll see some more top-20 scalps from her this season for sure.
Reply 527
Original post by Roger1

On a plus side, Stan the Man is definitely a contender for the FO. If Novak isn't fully fit by the FO, Stan is my second favourite for RG behind you all know who.

Yeah definitely Stan is a definite dark horse at RG. Nadal has looked a bit subdued since the AO so this may be the time to try and snatch RG from him. Who knows how serious Djokovic's injury is, if it's bad then this is the worst possible time it could happen for him. Although Federer faltered in the final I'm sure he'll be pleased that he's back at the top unlike last year
Reply 528
Original post by Roger1

It's cool - Fed seemed very happy with where he's at. This is clay, and the one time Wawrinka had beaten Federer before was in Monte Carlo 5 years ago (in straight sets). I have confidence that if he plays well enough to reach hard court/grass court finals he can eventually break through and start winning big titles again (maybe consecutively). The biggest positive is that he's hanging around at/around the final weekend of tournaments. And he and Stan are increasing their points - they are closing the gap on Djokovic and Nadal quite quickly

On another note, the Swiss have to be the overwhelming favourites for the Davis Cup. If they don't win, this will be a huge, huge, huge, HUGE upset. :smile:
Reply 529
Nadal lost again on clay, this time to Almagro. :laugh: I think it's fair to say Nadal's best surface is hard courts now.
Reply 530
Nadal losing to a guy who's never beaten him in several previous attempts. In Paris Masters 2009, Almagro led 6-3, 6-5, 40-0 but Rafa saved 5 match points and eventually won. Now he's losing to players who choked against him. This is worrying as far as his defence of RG is concerned.

Definitely wide open this year - after losing early in Monte Carlo and failing to defend Barcelona, does he really have the confidence to win Madrid and Rome?
Original post by Roger1
Nadal lost again on clay, this time to Almagro. :laugh: I think it's fair to say Nadal's best surface is hard courts now.

Wow, i saw it at 3-3 in the third but assumed Nadal would pull through. He's also lost the better part of 1500 points defending. Also the first time he's not won in April.
I think it's pretty clear guys now.. Nadal's past it, he should retire.
Reply 532
Original post by Rakas21
Wow, i saw it at 3-3 in the third but assumed Nadal would pull through. He's also lost the better part of 1500 points defending. Also the first time he's not won in April.
I think it's pretty clear guys now.. Nadal's past it, he should retire.

It's not too surprising though. Nadal never follows a great year with another one. Or maybe Nadal is just declining. Who knows?
Reply 533
Original post by Roger1
It's not too surprising though. Nadal never follows a great year with another one. Or maybe Nadal is just declining. Who knows?

True, but look at 2009 and 2012 clay season results which were relatively average Rafa years:

2009 - Won Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Final of Madrid (l. Federer), 4th round of Roland Garros (l. Soderling)

2012 - Won Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Roland Garros, 3rd Round Madrid (l. Verdasco but on blue clay)

I would say there has been a definite dip in form since last year's US Open
I think he needs to win Madrid and Rome to have confidence going into the French, and to even have a chance of protecting the World No. 1 spot
Reply 534
True, but look at 2009 and 2012 clay season results which were relatively average Rafa years:

2009 - Won Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Final of Madrid (l. Federer), 4th round of Roland Garros (l. Soderling)

2012 - Won Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Roland Garros, 3rd Round Madrid (l. Verdasco but on blue clay)

I would say there has been a definite dip in form since last year's US Open
I think he needs to win Madrid and Rome to have confidence going into the French, and to even have a chance of protecting the World No. 1 spot

Call me crazy, but I think Nadal has a better chance of winning the US Open than he has of winning the French Open.
I think Rafa for whatever reason can't perform well 2 seasons back to back but he's also almost 28 and his dire results are pretty unprecedented, maybe this is the start of his decline. I think Wawrinka could definitely take RG, with both Djokovic and Nadal looking vulnerable
Reply 536
Original post by lizzy95
I think Rafa for whatever reason can't perform well 2 seasons back to back but he's also almost 28 and his dire results are pretty unprecedented, maybe this is the start of his decline. I think Wawrinka could definitely take RG, with both Djokovic and Nadal looking vulnerable

A lot will depend on Novak's motivation - he really wants to win the French and perhaps Nadal's recent vulnerability could provide that extra boost. I think it would be well deserved if he could pull it off.
I say Nadal would still be 2nd favourite, then Stan then Roger but we will have to see what happens in Madrid and Rome first
A lot will depend on Novak's motivation - he really wants to win the French and perhaps Nadal's recent vulnerability could provide that extra boost. I think it would be well deserved if he could pull it off.
I say Nadal would still be 2nd favourite, then Stan then Roger but we will have to see what happens in Madrid and Rome first

I agree. This season has been so crazy though nothing is set in stone. I just hope Djokovic can maintain his focus with his girlfriend being pregnant and all, may bring him good luck, I think Federer's wife was pregnant when he won RG in 2009...
I can understand people doubting him, but I'm surprised about the amount of people completely writing Nadal off after everything he's proved to them before!
Original post by hskjlclcn
I can understand people doubting him, but I'm surprised about the amount of people completely writing Nadal off after everything he's proved to them before!

No one's writing him off we're just remarking about how shocking his recent results have been which they are. He's still obviously the favourite for RG but his reign there has to come to an end eventually and given his performances, level of confidence and the fact that he's getting older it seems that day is getting closer. Nadal isn't immune to decline he's human too

Quick Reply

Latest