The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8960
Original post by MatureStudent36
It's always possible to show impressive growth rates when the start point was so bad. India has impressive growth rates, but is still a poor country.

"Icelanders are fast on their way back to becoming among the richest people in the world, just five years after experiencing one of the most dramatic financial meltdowns in history."
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/06/iceland-financial-recovery-banking-collapse

"But Iceland, with a population of just 320,000, has also staged what appears to be the fastest recovery on record. Since 2011, the gross domestic product has been on the rise once again, most recently at 2 percent. What's more, salaries are rising, the national debt is sinking and the government has paid off part of the billions in loans it received in 2008 from the International Monetary Fund ahead of schedule."
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/financial-recovery-of-iceland-a-case-worth-studying-a-942387.html

Reply 8961
No he doesn't. He tried to portray a degree of referencing by quoting crazy sources.

It's like trying to justify Lizard people exist because there's a website out there that says so.

either way, the Reverend doesn't even have a vote in this issue.

He references exactly what people have said and plenty of academic sources.
Reply 8962
Original post by Midlander
Maybe they see it as a primarily pro-Scotland rather than an anti-RUK move, maybe they dislike the union for other reasons, so on and so on. Interested to hear your thoughts on Maths Tutor's assertion that Westminster helped England to steal Scottish territory though.

Having seen the borders, do you think that's what happened or is he spouting anti-English nonsense as per usual?

He spouts rather less anti-English nonsense than you do anti-Scottish nonsense!
Reply 8963
Original post by flugelr
Although Stuart Campbell is an unberable human being, he isn't the only issue.

I've just looked through the artices posted by Maths Tutor. In both of them, rather than providing evidence by linking to outside sources, almost all of the links in the articles lead to other WoS articles. You end up going round in circles.

Most of the WoS articles I've read in the past have relied on assertion, misrepresenation and downright untruths.

He does post a lot of assertions, just like those on the NO side, but he does do some very well researched articles, like him or loath him.
Original post by Boab
He spouts rather less anti-English nonsense than you do anti-Scottish nonsense!

I post anti-bigot. Nationality of said bigot could be anything.

Nice dodging of the point though-do you agree with him that England stole Scottish territory?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8965
I post anti-bigot. Nationality of said bigot could be anything.

Nice dodging of the point though-do you agree with him that England stole Scottish territory?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anti-bigot? You're having a laugh!

Dodging of the questions you continually ask me as if I were in government, and here simply for you to pummel with whatever you can fathom up next.

I am no expert in the laws of territorial boundaries. I will leave it unto the experts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Boab
Anti-bigot? You're having a laugh!

Dodging of the questions you continually ask me as if I were in government, and here simply for you to pummel with whatever you can fathom up next.

I am no expert in the laws of territorial boundaries. I will leave it unto the experts.

Maths Tutor isn't in government (or at least I hope not) but seems pretty much decided. You don't seem to have many answers for the questions which get put forward-at least the Yes campaign is consistent from top to bottom on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8967
_74433126_021832049-1.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27152757

'Ed Miliband will detail plans to tackle the "epidemic" of zero-hours contracts in a speech in Scotland later.The Labour leader will say workers with irregular shifts and pay should have rights, including a contract with fixed hours, if they work regularly for the same employer for a year.
Tackling the issue would be "harder" in an independent Scotland, he will say.
The Tories said the number of zero-hours contracts went up under Labour and they did nothing about it.A government spokesman said it was analysing research on zero-hours contracts and would "respond in due course".Zero-hours contracts allow employers to hire staff with no guarantee of work, only paying them for whatever hours they work.'

He will say. I wonder if he will say why? I'm wondering if he will answer any questions after this speech?
I reckon no.

The latest in a line of Westminster MPs, coming north, spouting off some rubbish before retreating south of the border without answering any questions to justify said assertions!
Original post by Boab
He references exactly what people have said and plenty of academic sources.

Would that be the non peer reviewed academic articles that are paid for by the SNP.

I mean, we have an academic saying we can get into the EU automatically,but the EU have said no to that and Salmond has lied about it.
Original post by Boab
_74433126_021832049-1.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27152757

'Ed Miliband will detail plans to tackle the "epidemic" of zero-hours contracts in a speech in Scotland later.The Labour leader will say workers with irregular shifts and pay should have rights, including a contract with fixed hours, if they work regularly for the same employer for a year.
Tackling the issue would be "harder" in an independent Scotland, he will say.
The Tories said the number of zero-hours contracts went up under Labour and they did nothing about it.A government spokesman said it was analysing research on zero-hours contracts and would "respond in due course".Zero-hours contracts allow employers to hire staff with no guarantee of work, only paying them for whatever hours they work.'

He will say. I wonder if he will say why? I'm wondering if he will answer any questions after this speech?
I reckon no.

The latest in a line of Westminster MPs, coming north, spouting off some rubbish before retreating south of the border without answering any questions to justify said assertions!

It's been said why. Even the SNPs own numbers back that statement up
Reply 8970
BmE5yxGCAAEplHs.jpg-large.jpg

i thought I'd heard this one before!
Original post by Boab

Many people like and welcome zero hours contracts and it seems unlikely to me that any government will actually get rid of them. They are too useful, and lead to more jobs being available.
Original post by Boab

'Treating workers like second class citizens'

I certainly hope he's not talking about part time wages vs full time wages.
“Scotland can survive as an independent nation, I don’t think anybody doubts that. But I don't think it can be the high income, low tax economy that the Scottish government is telling its people it can," said Mr Dixon

The nationalist can keep dreaming. However if the scottish people accepted this and still want independence then that would be fine . :cool: If they want to pay higher taxes or lose out on current free services then that is fine, however it seem most people believe the opposite....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10788391/Independent-Scotland-may-have-to-scrap-perks-to-service-debt-burden.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FinalMH
“Scotland can survive as an independent nation, I don’t think anybody doubts that. But I don't think it can be the high income, low tax economy that the Scottish government is telling its people it can," said Mr Dixon

The nationalist can keep dreaming. However if the scottish people accepted this and still want independence then that would be fine . :cool: If they want to pay higher taxes or lose out on current free services then that is fine, however it seem most people believe the opposite....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10788391/Independent-Scotland-may-have-to-scrap-perks-to-service-debt-burden.html

I saw that. It's remarkably like the leaked internal SNP document from last year.

http://b.3cdn.net/better/c1d14076ee08022eec_u9m6vd74f.pdf

has Swinney republished the amended oil figures that he promised to do.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/john-swinney-to-update-oil-production-figures-1-3354789
Boab's logic works if you assume every Yes voter is anti-Westminster. I never said that and I don't believe it to be the case.

Permit me to remind you what you said:

Original post by VladThe1mpaler
There is a difference between being anti-English and anti-Westminster

If there is a difference I am yet to see it.

Original post by Boab
How about the English who live in Scotland and get a vote? The poll shows 28% of them will vote YES. By your logic they too, are anti-English! How bizarre.

You said there is no difference between being anti-English and anti-Westminster.

Now out of the 28% English voters planning to vote Yes, surely there must be at the very least some who are anti-Westminster, which by YOUR logic makes them anti-English.

Or do you believe that not a single one of the 28% English voter is anti-Westminster?

In which case why do you think they are voting Yes?

Next you'll be banging on about the McCrone report.

Original post by Maths Tutor
Good thing you reminded me about the McCrone report. I had forgotten to mention it for at least a year now.

But I notice that you haven't banged on about the EU legal advice for almost a couple of hours now so perhaps you could mention it in your next post.

That's the EU that Salmond lied about having legal advice then?

There we go!
Original post by euphful
As I said, you don't need to convince me of the shortcomings of FPTP. I am an advocate of electoral reform and some form of PR.

We had a referendum on electoral reform for General Elections and the country quite resoundingly rejected it, even in Scotland, so for now I have to accept it.

We had a referendum on AV which is nowhere near Proportional representation.

In fact, AV would have been even worse than FPTP. For example,

The Tories (40% support) hate Labour, so they gave their 2nd vote to the Lib Dems.

Labour (40% support) hate the Tories, so they gave their 2nd vote to the Lib Dems.

So in constituency after constituency, the 3rd placed candidate with as little as 20% of the 1st choice vote would have won.

But you would still prefer Scotland to be ruled by an undemocratic Westminster parliament rather than a democratic Scottish parliament, right?

Just like the Scottish Labour MPs and MSPs.

Democracy for the world but not for Scotland.
Yet the is a requirement for entry into the EU. Even Boab acknowledges that we'd have to rejoin that.

and here in lies the problem. The SNP are standing for something to be everything to all people. In the event of a yes vote how many people are going to realise they've been led down the garden path ?

I want to stay in the UK as I believe being part of the UK has benefitted us immensely. However it worried me greatly that the political party that is leading the charge fir us to leave isn't coming clean in the slightest and making it up as it goes along. I had more respect for Jim Sillars as at lea the followed the course that he believed in. Salmonds ego is going to cause big problems for is in the event if a yes vote. Even with a no vote, which I'm sure will be returned, I worry about the divisions that he is creating. You only have to look at the delusional rankings of Maths Tutor for that who has convinced himself that we're colonised and being rules by foreigners. people like that tend to act irrationally when they realise their sense of environment, surroundings and shared identity doesn't hold with the majority viewpoint.

Jesus Christ, you MatureStudent36 have even started contemplating a Yes vote??????

Hang on, it is 'Bitter Together' who has been banging on about 'Foreigners'. This is what I had to remind your fellow Thatcherite Midlander:

I am a postgrad whose course fees are met by the research council funding my PhD, so I don't pay

anything. My belief is that the union can be made better without breaking it up. A Yes vote will have me made a foreigner and along with the bile and divisive rhetoric coming from Yes campaigners I have no reason to believe that dividing the union is of benefit to anybody.

Just like my views on EU membership. Rather than abandon the project we have to work on making it better.

Original post by Maths Tutor
What is wrong with being a 'foreigner'? You are a bigot aren't you? In most parts of the EU these days there are completely open borders and no-one talks about 'foreigners'. If you are not a bigot, why don't you leave such xenophobia to Nigel Farage, The Daily Mail and Margaret Curran?
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
That was in the late 90s he said that, how long are you going to keep playing that card?

The pound is now the best option according to the SNP, that doesn't mean they think it is a huge benefit to continue using it.

Well, the SNP are not allowed to change any policy no matter what.

Labour can be in favour of a council tax freeze before a Scottish general election, be against it soon after, be in favour of it before the Scottish local elections, be against it soon after, be in favour of it and claim credit for it before the Dunfermline byelection and be against it soon after.

But that is OK.

Only the SNP must never, ever change a policy once they have mentioned it. They must never, ever change their mind about anything. That is the law.

Latest

Trending

Trending