The Student Room Group

The Chemistry AS-level Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mutleybm1996
Does anyone have any advice on getting past 52/60? I can't seem to do it -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

get more questions right
does anybody have ideas for grade boundaries for AQA ISAs? I got a 32/50 and am trying to get an A :frown:
Does anyone have any advice on getting past 52/60? I can't seem to do it -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

if this is for Chem1 - try using the notes on chemrevise (i think thats the name) - and just be able to recite every word
oh and PPs
a mark scheme for a paper I'm doing says that formation of chlorine free radicals is heterolytic bond fission. I swear its homolytic?
Original post by Wiggledinho
a mark scheme for a paper I'm doing says that formation of chlorine free radicals is heterolytic bond fission. I swear its homolytic?

It's homolytic.
Reply 1265
Original post by Silver_moon
does anybody have ideas for grade boundaries for AQA ISAs? I got a 32/50 and am trying to get an A :frown:

Look at the AQA 2013 GCE grade boundaries, but it really all depends on which ISA you did. 1398506380740.jpg

For an A you needed 45/50 for the 3T ISA
For an A you needed 38/50 for the 3X ISA

32/50 would have just given you a C in the 3X ISA

While 32/50 would have given you a U in the 3T ISA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any threads for edexcel chem unit 1 and 2?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's homolytic.

yeah thought so, mark scheme must be wrong.
Original post by Wiggledinho

what exam board ?
Original post by pinkgorilla
what exam board ?

wasn't an exam board, just some extra questions we got given - astarexams.com
Why does Nitrogen have a lone pair of electrons? It has 5 in it's outer shell so surely it can bond 3 times as 5+3=8 so why is there a lone pair in NH3 surely it's bonded three times to the hydrogen's?

Sorry it's probably really simple

Posted from TSR Mobile
When assigning oxidation numbers to NaClO would Na or Cl take priority?

So O is -2
Na is +1 and Cl is -1 so which would i use to determine which is +3 or +1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why does Nitrogen have a lone pair of electrons? It has 5 in it's outer shell so surely it can bond 3 times as 5+3=8 so why is there a lone pair in NH3 surely it's bonded three times to the hydrogen's?

Sorry it's probably really simple

Posted from TSR Mobile

The nitrogen is bonded to 3 hydrogen atoms. So they share three electrons with the hydrogen, one each; which means that there is still 2 electron left on the nitrogen and that is the lone pair. 3(atoms of nitrogen bonded with hydrogen) + 3(hydrogen atoms bonded to nitrogen)+2(lone pair) = 8
Hope that made sense.
When assigning oxidation numbers to NaClO would Na or Cl take priority?

So O is -2
Na is +1 and Cl is -1 so which would i use to determine which is +3 or +1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not too sure on this one, but wouldn't it be O is -2, Cl +1, and Na +1
I'm not too sure on this one, but wouldn't it be O is -2, Cl +1, and Na +1

Yep
Yep

The nitrogen is bonded to 3 hydrogen atoms. So they share three electrons with the hydrogen, one each; which means that there is still 2 electron left on the nitrogen and that is the lone pair. 3(atoms of nitrogen bonded with hydrogen) + 3(hydrogen atoms bonded to nitrogen)+2(lone pair) = 8
Hope that made sense.

Oh, i was thinking of it the wrong way round! A stupid mistake, sorry, thank you :smile:
Yep

Annoyingly the only one's we've done is the ones with two of the known oxidation numbers such as O is -2 and H is +1 in the same compound with one unknown and never two unknown so i was just wondering which would take precedence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to check: do oxidation numbers only work on empirical formulae? I made the mistake of thinking that the Oxidation number of N was +4 in N(2)H(4) whilst doing a paper today.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 78Saab
Look at the AQA 2013 GCE grade boundaries, but it really all depends on which ISA you did. 1398506380740.jpg

For an A you needed 45/50 for the 3T ISA
For an A you needed 38/50 for the 3X ISA

32/50 would have just given you a C in the 3X ISA

While 32/50 would have given you a U in the 3T ISA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending