The Student Room Group

Whats the best university for islamic studies?

Very recently I have decided to take Islamic studies in university which is a long way from my former choice of medicine.I am extremely confused though.Which university offers the best course in the subject of my choice?Oxford,Cambridge..?There are loads of greats unis but with respect to my particular course,which offers the best study of the Quran,Hadith and Islamic teachings in general?I don't even know how long it takes to complete a course like this.Its fairly easy to infer hat I really don't have a clue.Anyone taken Islamic studies?What does it consist,whats it like etc etc.I'd be really grateful if someone could alleviate some of my concerns

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmm, Medicine or Islamic Studies. Whiiiichhhh to choose. Tough one.
I'm studying Arabic at university:

Cambridge, Oxford, St. Andrews, SOAS, Durham, Edinburgh, Exeter and Manchester all have fantastic centres for Islamic, Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies
Original post by aWildPidgey
You're wasting your time

Why is the OP wasting their time? Arabic, Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies are an up and coming course.
Reply 4
Original post by juwayriyahshabir
Very recently I have decided to take Islamic studies in university which is a long way from my former choice of medicine.I am extremely confused though.Which university offers the best course in the subject of my choice?Oxford,Cambridge..?There are loads of greats unis but with respect to my particular course,which offers the best study of the Quran,Hadith and Islamic teachings in general?I don't even know how long it takes to complete a course like this.Its fairly easy to infer hat I really don't have a clue.Anyone taken Islamic studies?What does it consist,whats it like etc etc.I'd be really grateful if someone could alleviate some of my concerns

IF you are a Muslim and want to learn more about Islam, do not pay £9000 a year to attend a university. You can learn much more abroad or even in the UK at places like Ebrahim College (for a lower price as well).

Ask in this thread, I'm sure more people can help:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2190797
Original post by Calllu-m
I'm studying Arabic at university:

Cambridge, Oxford, St. Andrews, SOAS, Durham, Edinburgh, Exeter and Manchester all have fantastic centres for Islamic, Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies

Where are you studying Arabic?Hows it coming along?If you don't mind me asking,any particular reason for studying Arabic?I had considered Arabic in order to better understand the Quran in its original language,but some people say that even after completing the degree, they are nowhere close to understanding the Quran because the degree focused more on tajweed and grammar rather than classical Arabic of the Quran.
Original post by juwayriyahshabir
Where are you studying Arabic?Hows it coming along?If you don't mind me asking,any particular reason for studying Arabic?I had considered Arabic in order to better understand the Quran in its original language,but some people say that even after completing the degree, they are nowhere close to understanding the Quran because the degree focused more on tajweed and grammar rather than classical Arabic of the Quran.

I'm starting my first year of Arabic in St. Andrews in September, I can let you know how it is next year. But yeah, I lived in Dubai (I'm white British though, no Arab heritage) and I really enjoyed learning Arabic in school. Yes, MSA doesn't prepare you for Classical Arabic. It's almost like the difference between Old English and English.
I hear Saudi Arabia is an Islamic Studies centre of excellence.
Reply 8
Original post by GPODT
IF you are a Muslim and want to learn more about Islam, do not pay £9000 a year to attend a university. You can learn much more abroad or even in the UK at places like Ebrahim College (for a lower price as well).

Ask in this thread, I'm sure more people can help:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2190797

This.

9000 which involves riba to learn about Islam is not the right way to go. Infact, it's the opposite of right.

Original post by Am I Really Here
I hear Saudi Arabia is an Islamic Studies centre of excellence.

Madinah university is great I hear.
(edited 10 years ago)
What future job do you want?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Guys, OP taking Islamic Studies is not harming any of you. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Hmm, I often wonder how critical 'Islamic Studies' is, or whether it's like most 'Gender Studies' and 'Womens Studies' course and is simply an exercise in single sided confirmation.
Medicine sounds like a way better course, do that instead.
Original post by yellowcopter
Medicine sounds like a way better course, do that instead.

You make it sound so easy

Original post by Steevee
Hmm, I often wonder how critical 'Islamic Studies' is, or whether it's like most 'Gender Studies' and 'Womens Studies' course and is simply an exercise in single sided confirmation.

Hardly. You're learning about the Islamic culture and heritage and in a lot of cases Arabic language. It's like Theology.
You make it sound so easy

I assumed you have the qualifications set to do Medicine. I have nothing against Islamic Studies, but in reality Medicine will just make it easier to get a job and it's seen much more highly as a qualification in comparison. So if you have the opportunity, then you should/should have chose to do Medicine.

Totally up to you though.
I assumed you have the qualifications set to do Medicine. I have nothing against Islamic Studies, but in reality Medicine will just make it easier to get a job and it's seen much more highly as a qualification in comparison. So if you have the opportunity, then you should/should have chose to do Medicine.

I'm not the OP and thus do not have the qualifications to do medicine (I do, however, have the qualifications to do arts courses at pretty much any Uni in the UK). Neither do I study Islamic Studies, I study Arabic and History at the University of St. Andrews. It depends on what the OP wants to do, not what is expected of him. Medicine is extremely difficult to get into, and without a genuine passion and interest, the OP would be pushed to get the grades.
I'm not the OP and thus do not have the qualifications to do medicine (I do, however, have the qualifications to do arts courses at pretty much any Uni in the UK). Neither do I study Islamic Studies, I study Arabic and History at the University of St. Andrews. It depends on what the OP wants to do, not what is expected of him. Medicine is extremely difficult to get into, and without a genuine passion and interest, the OP would be pushed to get the grades.

OP can do Islamic Studies if wished, I'm just saying Medicine is a very highly appreciated qualification in comparison, unless OP wants to do something related to the very few jobs related to the course.

Medicine prepares you for this and your islamic studies will prepare you for the hereafter. So i think the islamic studies are a better investment. Anyways, OP I am also in the same situation. But have decided i must go to an arab country for me to get the best there is e.g madinah university...as i feel i'm too pressured to medicine by teachers, family and friends simply because i've got the brains.....i dont want to conform to society and later regret....i wanna finish a levels then take the road less travelled. When i am no longer attached to this world is when i will do medicine without feeling any guilt.....sorry for long rant but it's amazing to finally find someone with same prob....
Original post by mayamiller
Medicine prepares you for this and your islamic studies will prepare you for the hereafter. So i think the islamic studies are a better investment. Anyways, OP I am also in the same situation. But have decided i must go to an arab country for me to get the best there is e.g madinah university...as i feel i'm too pressured to medicine by teachers, family and friends simply because i've got the brains.....i dont want to conform to society and later regret....i wanna finish a levels then take the road less travelled. When i am no longer attached to this world is when i will do medicine without feeling any guilt.....sorry for long rant but it's amazing to finally find someone with same prob....

Uhh.. I'm not entirely convinced you understand what "Islamic studies" actually is.. Islamic studies really does not prepare you for the hereafter. I think you should actually look in to what the course actually involves before making the biggest mistake of your life.
Original post by Savvy Sage
I think you should actually look in to what the course actually involves before making the biggest mistake of your life.

I too am not convinced that Islamic Studies prepares a person for the hereafter. You'd probably need a top-up masters for that. Still I cannot think that going overseas to get a degree which will at the very least confer in the getting of it functional fluency in a major world language need be "the biggest mistake of [her or anyone's] life".
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending