The Student Room Group

58% of labour supporters are benefit claimers?

A recent article on the daily mail reported that 58% of the labour votes in the last general election came from benefit scroungers. This is compared to 14% and 8% for Liberals and Tories respectively.

Is this fair?, clearly the majority of labour support is either from scroungers or unions, hardly a representation of everyone in society. Can labour truly represent the average hard working person?

The same article reported 78% of the welfare bill is shared out to labour constituencies, and of them 75% of the welfare bill is payed out to labour supporters.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've always found voting yourself money to be completely immoral
Source?
1.) Source?
2.) Daily Mail =/= reliable
3.) Benefit claimer =/= Benefit scrounger

Posted from TSR Mobile
98% of statistics are made up :smile:
Daily Mail why would you even use them as your source? smh
sauce?
Original post by Fizzel
I can't find the title claim but I'm guessing this is the article. Daily Mail obviously didn't carry out the research.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2572187/The-secrets-ballot-box-Tories-earn-Labour-voters-rent-home-Lib-Dems-better-educated-Ukip-voters-white-retired.html

lmfao ukip white 98%
Reply 8
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
98% of statistics are made up :smile:

What this poster said is 100% true.
You can look at it another way...

If you're reliant on benefits (say disability, or you're off sick - not scrounging), then you're hardly going to be voting conservative!
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
I've always found voting yourself money to be completely immoral

The majority of people vote for the party who will be best for them financially. Welcome to the class system.
Interesting findings: Labour have the highest proportion of supporters that are in work: 60%, compared to 56% overall. UKIP have the lowest at 48%.

In terms of education, Lib Dems have the most highly educated supporters:

26 per cent of people have a university degree but among Lib Dem voters the figure is 31 per cent, and another 15 per cent have a higher degree, much higher than any of the other parties

Also interesting to see this:

Labour supporters are younger, unmarried, earn only £26,460 and are more likely to work in the private sector than other parties’ supporters.

So Labour have a higher proportion of people working in the productive (ie private) sector.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2572187/The-secrets-ballot-box-Tories-earn-Labour-voters-rent-home-Lib-Dems-better-educated-Ukip-voters-white-retired.html#ixzz301QTdXfc
Doesn't nearly everyone claim benefits? Just because you claim some sort of benefits doesn't mean you're a benefit scrounger.

Also I have no idea how it's unfair that people who claim benefits support Labour? What do you mean by it's not a representation of society? What political party IS a representation of society?
Reply 13
Original post by MASTER265
A recent article on the daily mail reported that 58% of the labour votes in the last general election came from benefit scroungers. This is compared to 14% and 8% for Liberals and Tories respectively.

Is this fair?, clearly the majority of labour support is either from scroungers or unions, hardly a representation of everyone in society. Can labour truly represent the average hard working person?

So, if you are a university student I hope you have the intellect to realise that Daily Mail is not a completely truthful and unbiased sources of information. Also the level of support for Labour is not consistent will all their voters being on benefit. Thankfully there are quite a lot of people who believe in fair pay for a days work and that it is not only a minority of privileged people who should have a good standard of living.
Original post by DaveSmith99
The majority of people vote for the party who will be best for them financially. Welcome to the class system.

I know - if only people were more sensible :lol: democracy shouldn't be used like this to gain by hurting others~
Reply 15
Original post by Rlove95
Doesn't nearly everyone claim benefits? Just because you claim some sort of benefits doesn't mean you're a benefit scrounger.

Also I have no idea how it's unfair that people who claim benefits support Labour? What do you mean by it's not a representation of society? What political party IS a representation of society?

I believe UKIP are the best representation for society as a whole
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
I know - if only people were more sensible :lol: democracy shouldn't be used like this to gain by hurting others~

It's a little more complicated though as each side believes they are being sensible and it's the other acting selfishly. The left will argue that the system is inherently unfair so wealth should be redistributed to compensate and the right will argue that excessive redistribution is unfair and penalises ambition.
Is it really not obvious to you that those who are on low income/benefits would vote Labour because the unions tell them to and don't get as obviously screwed over?
It it not also obvious that those who are wealthier will generally vote Conservative because it leads to a greater increase in wealth than the other parties?
And finally that those who wish to waste their vote vote for another party?
Actually most people are on benefits.... just which ones?

Child benefit?

State pension?

Work benefit (or whatever it's called).
Original post by DanB1991
Actually most people are on benefits.... just which ones?

Child benefit?

State pension?

Work benefit (or whatever it's called).

All of them.

Quick Reply