Original post by AR_95
How much do you even know about Van Gaal

Enough to know he's more a winner than Wenger
Original post by manchesterunited15

nail -> head
Original post by baconbutty
i like arsenal

yes, you want them to stay so that you can laugh at them each time they fail, right? Leeds have done worse. And yet no one's laughing at them anymore.
United with Van Gaal and £100m of new signings will definitely be more likely to win the league than perennial bottlers Arsenal

Thing is it's very hard to integrate £100m into any side in one window, with a new manager as well. This isn't Fifa14 mate. You're missing a spine to the team in quite a few places as well and that's not as simple to fix with money as a lack of quality. I dont think either Arsenal/Utd will win it next season, probably be City this time with a proper defence etc. I think it'll be pretty close for 4th though tbh.

Would take Van Gaal with a pinch of salt though, the guy is an enigma with as many flaws as he has virtues. Arsene Wenger is certainly a better manager in any case since there is nothing that VG can do that Arsene cant, but there is much that Arsene does that VG cant. :wink:
Original post by Zürich
Thing is it's very hard to integrate £100m into any side in one window, with a new manager as well. This isn't Fifa14 mate. You're missing a spine to the team in quite a few places as well and that's not as simple to fix with money as a lack of quality. I dont think either Arsenal/Utd will win it next season, probably be City this time with a proper defence etc. I think it'll be pretty close for 4th though tbh.

Would take Van Gaal with a pinch of salt though, the guy is an enigma with as many flaws as he has virtues. Arsene Wenger is certainly a better manager in any case since there is nothing that VG can do that Arsene cant, but there is much that Arsene does that VG cant. :wink:

Yeah chances are neither will win it. Just we are more likely to finish above you than vice versa whether that's 1st or 4th. No Europe is a factor as well.

Wenger might be a better manager in general, but Van Gaal is a good appointment to come in for 2 or 3 years and sort things out before Giggs takes over and we dominate for the next 30 years.

Yeah chances are neither will win it. Just we are more likely to finish above you than vice versa whether that's 1st or 4th. No Europe is a factor as well.

Wenger might be a better manager in general, but Van Gaal is a good appointment to come in for 2 or 3 years and sort things out before Giggs takes over and we dominate for the next 30 years.

Yea I'd probably agree with that, 2 years is about as long as any team can bear Van Gaal :wink:

It will be good to see Van Gaal in the PL in fairness since he sets his teams up with genuine flair and technique, but the guy is not exactly a relentless winner either. Van Gaal has 2 titles this century(one of which being the Eredivisie...), he managed to finish 3rd with Bayern in 2011 and his teams typically have a soft underbelly. Probably a good reason why his next best offer was Tottenham eh?
(edited 9 years ago)
United with Van Gaal and £100m of new signings will definitely be more likely to win the league than perennial bottlers Arsenal

Your squad is worse than ours now and will be next season too. I said this at the start of the season. £100m won't buy you a whole new defense + wingers. There is no way you are favourites to finish above us, we're only going to get better and with no injuries will be right up there.

Your 4 most talented players all occupy two positions, good luck.

Pretty sure you said you'd win the league back in December. United fans self belief is admirable, perhaps understandable with Ferguson at the helm, but is now sounding more and more desperate.
Original post by Zürich
Yea I'd probably agree with that, 2 years is about as long as any team can bear Van Gaal :wink:

It will be good to see Van Gaal in the PL in fairness since he sets his teams up with genuine flair and technique, but the guy is not exactly a relentless winner either. Van Gaal has 2 titles this century(one of which being the Eredivisie...), he managed to finish 3rd with Bayern in 2011 and his teams typically have a soft underbelly. Probably a good reason why his next best offer was Tottenham eh?

2 titles this century, miles behind Wenger on....2 titles this century :wink:

True wrt Spurs, although there's no big teams looking for a manager is there? Possibly Milan.
2 titles this century, miles behind Wenger on....2 titles this century :wink:

True wrt Spurs, although there's no big teams looking for a manager is there? Possibly Milan.

5 trophies. 7 if you even wanted to even include the community shield but who does
Original post by matchdayG
It's the collapse and not the invincibles that everyone remembers

Yeah but historically no one gives a **** about the 02-03 collapse because of the invincibles. Best British domestic football team of all time, yo.

You need to spend 100m just to get back close to top 4. We will improve in the summer too, still back us to finish above you next year. 2-3 years time is anyone's guess though.
Original post by EmperorMustard
Your squad is worse than ours now and will be next season too. I said this at the start of the season. £100m won't buy you a whole new defense + wingers. There is no way you are favourites to finish above us, we're only going to get better and with no injuries will be right up there.

Your 4 most talented players all occupy two positions, good luck.

Pretty sure you said you'd win the league back in December. United fans self belief is admirable, perhaps understandable with Ferguson at the helm, but is now sounding more and more desperate.

Nope, I didn't say that. I believe I said it wasn't impossible, but we were heavy outsiders. Nothing outrageous about that.

And you can say all you like about our squad, but we've had an absolutely terrible season yet are only 10 points behind. You say you're only going to get better, but that applies far more to us. We're virtually guaranteed to get better, whereas you consistently finish 4th and it was this season that was meant to be the one where you finally broke that trend.

And sorry but we are favourites to finish above you: http://www.skybet.com/football/premier-league. 7/1 to win the league and 4/7 to finish top 4, you're 11/1 and 5/4.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
Yeah but historically no one gives a **** about the 02-03 collapse because of the invincibles. Best British domestic football team of all time, yo.

Nope, Chelsea 04-05 have the points record
Nope, I didn't say that. I believe I said it wasn't impossible, but we were heavy outsiders. Nothing outrageous about that.

And you can say all you like about our squad, but we've had an absolutely terrible season yet are only 10 points behind. You say you're only going to get better, but that applies far more to us. We're virtually guaranteed to get better, whereas you consistently finish 4th and it was this season that was meant to be the one where you finally broke that trend.

And sorry but we are favourites to finish above you: http://www.skybet.com/football/premier-league

We've had our worst season of injuries for a decade...

You'll definitely improve but it's going to take far more than one window to fix the mess SAF left you with.

As for Arsenal, we'll have made a 6 point improvement on last year if we win all of our remaining games and we'll most likely win the FA cup, so really we are improving more than I expected as well.This year was always at least a season too early, Jam and I have been saying that all season. Kudos to Liverpool for making that jump from 7th, it really has conspired for them to win the league this season with the way other teams have fallen over each other in trying to throw it away.

As for betting, it means **** all.
Nope, Chelsea 04-05 have the points record

Nah they got beaten though, weren't as entertaining either.

Points record doesn't mean anything, we'd have easily broken it if we weren't trying to stay unbeaten for the last 6 games. Henry said as much himself, we just made sure we didn't lose from Spurs onwards because no one wanted to lose the record, even if they were mentally all on holiday.

United and City got 88 in 2011/12, we only got 90, there was a way bigger gap between those two teams and us in terms of ability and performance than 2 points worth.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
We've had our worst season of injuries for a decade...

You'll definitely improve but it's going to take far more than one window to fix the mess SAF left you with.

As for Arsenal, we'll have made a 6 point improvement on last year if we win all of our remaining games and we'll most likely win the FA cup, so really we are improving more than I expected as well.This year was always at least a season too early, Jam and I have been saying that all season. Kudos to Liverpool for making that jump from 7th, it really has conspired for them to win the league this season with the way other teams have fallen over each other in trying to throw it away.

As for betting, it means **** all.

Meh, tbh it's way too early to properly discuss. We could get Fabregas, Kroos, Shaw and Hummels (although we all know we won't lol) or we could do a Tottenham.

It's not the be all and end all, but they don't pull those numbers out of thin air.

Original post by Pete_91
Nah they got beaten though, weren't as entertaining either.

Points record doesn't mean anything, we'd have easily broken it if we weren't trying to stay unbeaten for the last 6 games. Henry said as much himself, we just made sure we didn't lose from Spurs onwards because no one wanted to lose the record, even if they were mentally all on holiday.

Yeah but 1 win and 1 defeat > 2 draws

Perhaps, although it's a pretty pathetic mindset for the team at the top of the table to be playing for draws against Birmingham, Portsmouth, Fulham and Leicester (their last 4 games). And they weren't even invincible, they lost to 3 english teams over the season.

United and City got 88 in 2011/12, we only got 90, there was a way bigger gap between those two teams and us in terms of ability and performance than 2 points worth.

True, but that was 8 years later. Chelsea was 1 year later so the teams were at a similar level and you can make a fair comparison.
(edited 9 years ago)

You'll be lucky to finish above Everton.
Original post by Stalin
You'll be lucky to finish above Everton.

Everton will most likely not even be in the fight for 4th place.
Meh, tbh it's way too early to properly discuss. We could get Fabregas, Kroos, Shaw and Hummels (although we all know we won't lol) or we could do a Tottenham.

It's not the be all and end all, but they don't pull those numbers out of thin air.

Yeah but 1 win and 1 defeat > 2 draws

Perhaps, although that's a pretty pathetic mindset for the team at the top of the table to be playing for draws against Birmingham, Portsmouth, Fulham and Leicester (their last 4 games). And they weren't even invincible, they lost to 3 english teams over the season.

True, but that was 8 years later. Chelsea was 1 year later so the teams were at a similar level and you can make a fair comparison.

In the league we weren't unbeaten, that's obviously the point...

So you're telling me that if United were 34 games unbeaten with the potential to go unbeaten having already won the league, you wouldn't start playing for draws? It happens every season once the title is won.

For instance if you had scored that pen (RVN's) we would have had a much higher points score than 90 (reckon into the high 90s) by the end of the season. Chelsea would have done the same playing for draws strategy in 04-05 if they hadn't already lost a game.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest