The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pete_91
Yeah but historically no one gives a **** about the 02-03 collapse because of the invincibles. Best British domestic football team of all time, yo.

chelsea did better domestically the season after
Reply 1261
Original post by baconbutty

This.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Everton will most likely not even be in the fight for 4th place.

Oh, they'll be there, with the likes of Spurs, you guys and Southampton just beneath them challenging for 6th.

How the mighty have fallen.
Original post by Pete_91
In the league we weren't unbeaten, that's obviously the point...

So you're telling me that if United were 34 games unbeaten with the potential to go unbeaten having already won the league, you wouldn't start playing for draws? It happens every season once the title is won.

I know that's the point, I just think it's misleading to go on about this amazing team that was "invincible", when they lost to ****ing Middlesborough.

Actually, looking at those final 4 games after the Tottenham match, you won 2 and drew 2, so even if they were all wins you would only have got 94 points. So Chelsea are still superior.
(edited 9 years ago)

Nope, not for me.
Original post by Stalin
Oh, they'll be there, with the likes of Spurs, you guys and Southampton just beneath them challenging for 6th.

How the mighty have fallen.

We're 4th favourites for the title, you're 5th.
Original post by Pete_91
Nope, not for me.

they finished with a higher points total than the invincibles and finished 12 points higher than them the season after

the invincibles lacked any form of competition though so it's not that surprising they went unbeaten similar to juventus going unbeaten it was just a transitional period for the league and wouldn't have happened in any other season
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Thing is it's very hard to integrate £100m into any side in one window, with a new manager as well. This isn't Fifa14 mate. You're missing a spine to the team in quite a few places as well and that's not as simple to fix with money as a lack of quality. I dont think either Arsenal/Utd will win it next season, probably be City this time with a proper defence etc. I think it'll be pretty close for 4th though tbh.

Would take Van Gaal with a pinch of salt though, the guy is an enigma with as many flaws as he has virtues. Arsene Wenger is certainly a better manager in any case since there is nothing that VG can do that Arsene cant, but there is much that Arsene does that VG cant. :wink:

your top para is spot on tbh, no way will utd get rid of all their deadwood and bring in star players in one summer window, without unsettling the team, even with van gaal at the helm. the amount and quality of players they think they are gonna get in all at once makes me laugh, suggestions of Reus, Gundogan, Fabregas, Carvalho, Shaw, Cavani, Greizzman, Kroos all in one squad is just lol.
I know that's the point, I just think it's misleading to go on about this amazing team that was "invincible", when they lost to ****ing Middlesborough.

Actually, looking at those final 4 games after the Tottenham match, you won 2 and drew 2, so even if they were all wins you would only have got 94 points. So Chelsea are still the best.

The best teams on the best runs in world football have been beaten by rubbish teams, we lost to Middlesbrough in the league cup for **** sake, hardly against our first team.

With no Europe you'll walk top four and challenge for the title. No worries.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
your top para is spot on tbh, no way will utd get rid of all their deadwood and bring in star players in one summer window, without unsettling the team, even with van gaal at the helm. the amount and quality of players they think they are gonna get in all at once makes me laugh, suggestions of Reus, Gundogan, Fabregas, Carvalho, Shaw, Cavani, Greizzman, Kroos all in one squad is just lol.

No ones suggesting all of those. At the absolute most we would get 4 of them (Shaw, Reus, Carvalho, Fabregas)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
The best teams on the best runs in world football have been beaten by rubbish teams, we lost to Middlesbrough in the league cup for **** sake, hardly against our first team.

Yeah I just used Boro for effect, you also lost to United and Chelsea in the FA and CL, when you did have your best team out.
they finished with a higher points total than the invincibles and finished 12 points higher than them the season after

the invincibles lacked any form of competition though so it's not that surprising they went unbeaten similar to juventus going unbeaten it was just a transitional period for the league and wouldn't have happened in any other season

All I'm hearing is excuses, the record stands, and will stand for a very very long time (if it is ever broken). The points record however will probably be broken again within 10 years.

According to whom? The same people who predicted that you'd finish 7th this year?
Yeah I just used Boro for effect, you also lost to United and Chelsea in the FA and CL, when you did have your best team out.

2 very decent teams, exactly. Also Inter Milan and Dynamo Kiev beat us in the CL, doesn't devalue the achievement in the league, you're just coming across as clutching at straws now.

The points argument is fair enough, I disagree but I accept it. The rest is nonsensical.

If Arsenal won the league with 100+ points but got beaten I'd still rate the invincibles higher.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Stalin
According to whom? The same people who predicted that you'd finish 7th this year?

The betting companies, who have more knowledge than you
Original post by Pete_91
All I'm hearing is excuses, the record stands, and will stand for a very very long time (if it is ever broken). The points record however will probably be broken again within 10 years.

yea it probably wont be broken because theres 5 top teams in the league now arsenal were literally the only top team at the time man utd were in a transition and chelsea didn't become good until the season after
Reply 1277
they finished with 5 more points

The only argument he really has is that they won the title with less games played (by just one game though).

However, even if they had won all their games after the draw at Spurs they would have finished on 94 points. The league at the time we had won it was arguably tougher too.
(edited 9 years ago)
The betting companies, who have more knowledge than you

The same betting companies that predicted that you'd finish 7th this year?

:toofunny:
Nope, I didn't say that. I believe I said it wasn't impossible, but we were heavy outsiders. Nothing outrageous about that.

And you can say all you like about our squad, but we've had an absolutely terrible season yet are only 10 points behind. You say you're only going to get better, but that applies far more to us. We're virtually guaranteed to get better, whereas you consistently finish 4th and it was this season that was meant to be the one where you finally broke that trend.

And sorry but we are favourites to finish above you: http://www.skybet.com/football/premier-league. 7/1 to win the league and 4/7 to finish top 4, you're 11/1 and 5/4.

Betting odds are determined by market movements. I'm sure there are plenty of overly optimistic United fans betting on you winning the league next year after beating Norwich today. No need to apologise though, you're not Canadian.

As has been said, we've had the worst injuries certainly I can ever remember and yet have gained 26 points on you in one year. Money doesn't guarantee you quality when it's spread over a whole squad. Given the core of our squad is yet to hit it's peak I disagree that we don't have as much room to improve, especially if we can keep Ramsey, Ozil and Walcott fit.

Almost every Arsenal fan said we wouldn't win the league this season, and yet 4th with an FA Cup would be a massive improvement given our injuries, and psychologically huge. 2014 was pinpointed as the year our fortunes change off the pitch (commercial deals, only long term debt left etc) and I expect over the next 2-3 years that will translate onto the pitch as we can sign quality - Ozil being the start - rather than sell it such as RVP, Fabregas, Nasri, Clichy, Song, Adebayor, Hleb...those sales won't happen anymore if we don't want them to. Tying up most of our core on long term contracts is a sign of that.

Latest