The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Who cares anyway? Haven't you all got better things to do on a saturday night than argue about this ****?
Original post by e aí rapaz
Who cares anyway? Haven't you all got better things to do on a saturday night than argue about this ****?

It's this or economics revision
Original post by Stalin
The same betting companies that predicted that you'd finish 7th this year?

:toofunny:

So they got 1 wrong? They also get plenty right or they wouldnt make any ****ing money :facepalm2:
Original post by manchesterunited15
So they got 1 wrong? They also get plenty right or they wouldnt make any ****ing money :facepalm2:

So they predicted that Liverpool would win the league too?

Get the **** out of here.
No ones suggesting all of those. At the absolute most we would get 4 of them (Shaw, Reus, Carvalho, Fabregas)

4 of those quality is still unlikely. Shaw will eat in to your budget hard, esp at 100k pwk (lol). You wont shift all of the players you want to get rid of either, not fully until the summer after. Fabregas wont move this summer and we have first dibs anyway so Arsene would just sign him up at £25m regardless of other needs. Reus wouldnt leave Dortmund (Gotze comments were fake), he's having the time of his life and champions league gauranteed.

You'll get Carvalho, Shaw and Cavani(based on rumours that your extremely close to signing him? no idea why you want him and PSG wont let go without big money) and then maybe someone like Halilovic if Barca dont swoop him up.
Original post by trrr
The only argument he really has is that they won the title with less games played (by just one game though).

However, even if they had won all their games after the draw at Spurs they would have finished on 94 points. The league at the time we had won it was arguably tougher too.

As I said if Arsenal won the league next year with 100 points, but lost one game, I'd still rate the invincibles higher.
Original post by Stalin
So they predicted that Liverpool would win the league too?

Get the **** out of here.

Can you not read ffs. In general, they get it right.

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
4 of those quality is still unlikely. Shaw will eat in to your budget hard, esp at 100k pwk (lol). You wont shift all of the players you want to get rid of either, not fully until the summer after. Fabregas wont move this summer and we have first dibs anyway so Arsene would just sign him up at £25m regardless of other needs. Reus wouldnt leave Dortmund (Gotze comments were fake), he's having the time of his life and champions league gauranteed.

You'll get Carvalho, Shaw and Cavani(based on rumours that your extremely close to signing him? no idea why you want him and PSG wont let go without big money) and then maybe someone like Halilovic if Barca dont swoop him up.

Yeah 4 of those quality is if everything goes perfectly. It probably won't and Fabregas especially is really unlikely. Main point though is that we really can't say how the season will go until teams start making signings.
Original post by Pete_91
2 very decent teams, exactly. Also Inter Milan and Dynamo Kiev beat us in the CL, doesn't devalue the achievement in the league, you're just coming across as clutching at straws now.

The points argument is fair enough, I disagree but I accept it. The rest is nonsensical.

If Arsenal won the league with 100+ points but got beaten I'd still rate the invincibles higher.

Hardly clutching at straws. People go on about this invincible team when in reality they lost 2 games that could just as easily have been in the league
Hardly clutching at straws. People go on about this invincible team when in reality they lost 2 games that could just as easily have been in the league

But we didn't.

You could have easily lost both the semi final and the final of the Fa cup and CL in 1999 respectively, but Bergkamp missed the penalty and Bayern bottled it in the final. Small margins in football, but that's the way it goes.

I actually rate United's 99 team higher than the Chelsea team of 05...
Original post by Pete_91
As I said if Arsenal won the league next year with 100 points, but lost one game, I'd still rate the invincibles higher.

So you think 5 wins and 1 loss isn't as good as 6 draws? Being unbeaten is overrated.
Original post by Pete_91
You could have easily lost both the semi final and the final of the Fa cup and CL in 1999 respectively, but Bergkamp missed the penalty and Bayern bottled it in the final. Small margins in football, but that's the way it goes.

I actually rate United's 99 team higher than the Chelsea team of 05...

Well yeah United's team was better overall, but not in the league
I am glad I haven't got a ticket for WBA now.
It will turn into an Arsene Wenger love in.

Expect a loud rendition of "there's only one" as he brings on Sanogo and Kallstrom in the 70th minute to help seal the top 4 trophy.

Maybe he will actually sign his contract on the pitch as the players go on a lap of honour!
So you think 5 wins and 1 loss isn't as good as 6 draws? Being unbeaten is overrated.

Genuinely do, because it's a unique achievement that highlights a ridiculous level of consistency and as long as you do win the league it's not a fruitless endeavor either. To turn up 38 times in a season and say I will not be beaten here is ridiculous (to paraphrase Wenger).

The only thing I rate more is the Treble. Hence United's 99 side.

Chelsea's achievements are massively devalued by the money they spent anyway.
Original post by what is this
I am glad I haven't got a ticket for WBA now.
It will turn into an Arsene Wenger love in.

Expect a loud rendition of "there's only one" as he brings on Sanogo and Kallstrom in the 70th minute to help seal the top 4 trophy.

Maybe he will actually sign his contract on the pitch as the players go on a lap of honour!

Prefer ''Arsene Wenger's having a party, bring your vodka and your charlie'' myself

Problem with people like you, is that you'd crucify Wenger if he didnt get CL football, but of course it's only important if we dont get it...:rolleyes: Not to mention an upcoming FA Cup final that we have a great chance of winning. Strong ability to keep perspective at work here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
Genuinely do, because it's a unique achievement that highlights a ridiculous level of consistency and as long as you do win the league it's not a fruitless endeavor either. To turn up 38 times in a season and say I will not be beaten here is ridiculous (to paraphrase Wenger).

The only thing I rate more is the Treble. Hence United's 99 side.

Chelsea's achievements are massively devalued by the money they spent anyway.

Hmm, fair enough, I completely disagree but I can see why you'd see it like that

but its the fact that we won the league unbeaten. relegation fodder can draw every game and still be in the championship the year after, that is no achievement. Its the fact that it was done over 38 games and in the end the team lifted the trophy.
Hmm, fair enough, I completely disagree but I can see why you'd see it like that

There's a natural element of bias here, but genuinely wouldn't rate winning the CL above the invincibles.
Original post by Pete_91
There's a natural element of bias here, but genuinely wouldn't rate winning the CL above the invincibles.

Now that I definitely can't understand :tongue:
Now that I definitely can't understand :tongue:

I'll get back to you when (read: IF) we win it. :colondollar:
I swear it's a lose lose situation, finish outside top 4 media will blast finish top 4 and the media will still blast us.

Latest