The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
Maybe they see it as a primarily pro-Scotland rather than an anti-RUK move, maybe they dislike the union for other reasons, so on and so on. Interested to hear your thoughts on Maths Tutor's assertion that Westminster helped England to steal Scottish territory though.

Having seen the borders, do you think that's what happened or is he spouting anti-English nonsense as per usual?

Original post by Boab
He spouts rather less anti-English nonsense than you do anti-Scottish nonsense!

I don't think Midlander will ever see the difference between being anti-Westminster and being anti-English, and between England as a country ruled by Westminster and the English people.

I don't think I have ever posted an anti-English comment anywhere.

But let us see what Midlander has been spouting on this thread:

Sorry, I just can't agree with this-even unionist Scots I know still say outrageous things like all English people should be ashamed of murdering Scots in the 14th century. Anglophobia is rife in Scotland and the SNP is of course playing on those sentiments for its own agenda. They forget that England isn't the only other country in this union.

Wales is a funny place. Everyone hates England with a burning passion but loves the economic perks of being its neighbour. If it were severed from Britain I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

There are times in this thread where I have put forward the idea of England removing itself from the union for this specific reason. Our Celtic friends in Scotland, Wales and Ireland just love to blame England for all that is wrong in and with the UK and a lot of English people get sick of it after a while.

a lot of English people get sick of it after a while.

But the ever kind and tolerant Midlander would never ever get sick of Scotland and would never ever let it go, for its own sake of course!!!
Maybe they see it as a primarily pro-Scotland rather than an anti-RUK move, maybe they dislike the union for other reasons, so on and so on. Interested to hear your thoughts on Maths Tutor's assertion that Westminster helped England to steal Scottish territory though.

Having seen the borders, do you think that's what happened or is he spouting anti-English nonsense as per usual?

Assertion or FACT?

Original post by Maths Tutor

"The government has been asked to reconsider the decision to transfer 6,000 square miles of Scottish waters off the Berwickshire coast to English jurisdication."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/398670.stm

"In 1999, just before the UK Government devolved a range of domestic powers to Scotland, British Ministers introduced legislation that redrew the previous maritime boundary between Scotland and England.

The new boundary extended 200 miles in a north-west direction and placed 6000 square miles of previously Scottish waters under English legal control.

The move was widely criticised at the time and seen as an attempt by the British Government to secure rights to oil and gas fields in the North Sea should Scotland eventually become independent.

Now the Scottish Government has restated its intention to reclaim the disputed waters in the event of Scottish independence."

http://en.ria.ru/world/20140422/189312524/Scottish-Ministers-Will-Seek-Return-Of-Disputed-Waters-Following.html

I would say that England stole 6000 square miles of Scottish territory.

Of course by your usual impartial, non-biased and objective standards, you will extrapolate that as me being anti-English. I am not anti-English, I am anti-theft.

I am sure TSR's self styled legal expert L i b will clarify what international law says on this matter.
Original post by flugelr
Although Stuart Campbell is an unberable human being, he isn't the only issue.

I've just looked through the artices posted by Maths Tutor. In both of them, rather than providing evidence by linking to outside sources, almost all of the links in the articles lead to other WoS articles. You end up going round in circles.

Most of the WoS articles I've read in the past have relied on assertion, misrepresenation and downright untruths.

Yes, "unbearable" by 'Bitter Together' because he totally demolishes their every single lie.

MatureStudent36 was so rattled by his lies being exposed by W O S articles, that he got the anti-independence TSR moderator Aj12 to remove my perfectly legitimate posts because they provided RELEVANT links to WoS articles.

The anti-independence TSR moderator Aj12 doesn't have any problems with MatureStudent36 regularly posting links to anti-independence lies in The Scotsman, The Daily Mail, The Daily Telegraph etc.
Original post by MatureStudent36

Next you'll be banging on about the McCrone report.

Good thing you reminded me about the McCrone report. I had forgotten to mention it for at least a year now.

But I notice that you haven't banged on about the EU legal advice for almost a couple of hours now so perhaps you could mention it in your next post.

That's the EU that Salmond lied about having legal advice then?

There we go!

Would that be the non peer reviewed academic articles that are paid for by the SNP.

I mean, we have an academic saying we can get into the EU automatically,but the EU have said no to that and Salmond has lied about it.

There we go yet again!
We had a referendum on AV which is nowhere near Proportional representation.

In fact, AV would have been even worse than FPTP. For example,

The Tories (40% support) hate Labour, so they gave their 2nd vote to the Lib Dems.

Labour (40% support) hate the Tories, so they gave their 2nd vote to the Lib Dems.

So in constituency after constituency, the 3rd placed candidate with as little as 20% of the 1st choice vote would have won.

But you would still prefer Scotland to be ruled by an undemocratic Westminster parliament rather than a democratic Scottish parliament, right?

Just like the Scottish Labour MPs and MSPs.

Democracy for the world but not for Scotland.

You do love twisting people's words dot you?

If you could kindly refer to the post where I said I was a supporter of electoral reform I'd appreciate it. I'll even go as far as to say I support PR. I support fairer votes. AV would have been the first step towards that.

I believe I said that the country had rejected a referendum on electoral reform. I don't think that's an unfair thing to say; it is true. There is little appetite in the country to ditch FPTP for Westminster elections. I may disagree with it but that's how it is.

I think this is quite funny really. Only you could attack someone for having the same view as you! All because I challenged your questionable assertions regarding landslide results!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There we go!

There we go what? Are you talking at the McCrone report that was secret that consisted of readily available public information.

let's ask the man.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x2F-H01Qm1I
There we go yet again!

You seem to be implying that I'm making things up about Salmond lieing in his legal advice about europe

let's see where £20k if taxpayers money got wasted with Salmond trying to hide is lie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10367759/Alex-Salmond-spent-20000-keeping-secret-non-existent-EU-legal-advice.html
Assertion or FACT?

Look at the boundaries and tell me what the problem is. If the problem is that the boundaries follow the line of the border and don't encroach on Scottish territory, that's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think Midlander will ever see the difference between being anti-Westminster and being anti-English, and between England as a country ruled by Westminster and the English people.

I don't think I have ever posted an anti-English comment anywhere.

But let us see what Midlander has been spouting on this thread:

But the ever kind and tolerant Midlander would never ever get sick of Scotland and would never ever let it go, for its own sake of course!!!

England ruled by a Westminster composed primarily of English MPs voted for by English people-there is no difference. Your whole grievance with Westminster is that it works in the interests of the English majority and not the Scottish minority in Parliament.

You have already stated that aside from the World Wars, England has been Scotland's only enemy and that England stole Scottish territory with Westminster's help. Seems pretty Anglophobic to me, MT.
Look at the boundaries and tell me what the problem is. If the problem is that the boundaries follow the line of the border and don't encroach on Scottish territory, that's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't bother, after all it was the 'evil English' led by various incarnations of Alan Rickman who was annexing parts of Scotland.

He doesn't care who was in the cabinet.
Permit me to remind you what you said:

You said there is no difference between being anti-English and anti-Westminster.

Now out of the 28% English voters planning to vote Yes, surely there must be at the very least some who are anti-Westminster, which by YOUR logic makes them anti-English.

Or do you believe that not a single one of the 28% English voter is anti-Westminster?

In which case why do you think they are voting Yes?

You would have to ask those who are polled that, but the union has many things that need fixing besides the Westminster set-up. Maybe these people no longer identified with RUK-or am I giving too much credit to Yes voters to be voting for independence out of something other than hating on Westminster?
Original post by Snagprophet
I wouldn't bother, after all it was the 'evil English' led by various incarnations of Alan Rickman who was annexing parts of Scotland.

He doesn't care who was in the cabinet.

Maths Tutor claiming he has used no anti-English sentiment on this thread was a funny start to my morning at least. He probably agrees that it is right for iScotland to discriminate against RUK students in the EU.
Reply 8992
Maybe you are right, and maybe Labour voters in Scotland have just given up, so much so that they have decided to vote YES.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/fifty-years-on-labour-still-promising-better-next-time.24033699

hamishlabour.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, "unbearable" by 'Bitter Together' because he totally demolishes their every single lie.

Its more to do with the fact that he is an intolerent, transphobic, bigoted bully.
New question, lets try to discuss this without abusing each other:

Is rejecting a currency union in the rUK's best interests?

I'll answer first: it isn't in their best interest to reject it. the strength of Sterling will go down without Scottish input and the rUK's balance of payments will go through the roof.

What do we think?
Original post by sauzee_4

I'll answer first: it isn't in their best interest to reject it. the strength of Sterling will go down without Scottish input and the rUK's balance of payments will go through the roof.

What do we think?

Justify both assertions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do we think?

As with all your previous posts, Citation is needed. And politically yes it is, the party that denies it will make 58% of the population happy. Also there are other issues, e.g. handing over of part of rUK's national sovereignty etc. Quite simply, I am afraid the Scottish would make a minimal difference in my opinion re the sterling's strength. Politically, it would be suicide accepting the currency union without a political one.
(edited 9 years ago)

What do we think?

What makes you say that? Is it because that's what Alex Salmond wants?

The UK doesn't do currency unions. This has been seen with the fallout from the Euro zone crisis. It's been seen with the SNP doing a huge u turn on it's desire to embrace the €.

the argument that you're putting forward could be used to argue for the adoption of the €, yet time and time again the majority of the UK have said they don't want it.

although youre right in saying that it would weaken the rUK with the loss if oil revenues, this loss is more than made up by the relocation of Edinburgh's financial services sector which currently represents 10% of Scotland's GDP, down south.

youve also ignored the fact that the majority if the rUKs electorate don't want one. What would be left of the political parties have said they don't want one and the governor of the BoE has said its unlikely to be successful.
(edited 9 years ago)
I sometimes feel like the only person in Scotland who wouldn't see being forced to join the Euro as a bad thing.
Original post by Blue Meltwater
I sometimes feel like the only person in Scotland who wouldn't see being forced to join the Euro as a bad thing.

Possibly. There aren't many people who'd like to join the Euro, much less be effectively forced into it. That's not to say it isn't perfectly legitimate. It is, at least, an honest argument to make, and one I will happily listen to and consider on its merits.

As you will probably have guessed, I don't support joining the Euro. But I do think many of the arguments made against it are simplistic or even straight-up wrong. There is a case to be made, and unfortunately it is tabloidesque scaremongering that is stopping it from gaining any traction.

Latest

Trending

Trending