The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stalin
In that case, learn to express yourself a little better.

You said 'the only' thing they got wrong this season was your club becoming a laughing stock.

'The only.'

'Only.'

Primarly because mugs like yourself believed that Man Utd would do well this season.

Easy to say in hindsight. Did you put money on United finishing out of top 4? If you didn't you really can't say much here.
Original post by jam277
Chelseas 95 points is better than the invincibles tbh.

Yeah being unbeaten is great, but I guess 38 draws must be great as well.

I also rate the CL win over our 2005 title.

Depends what you mean by 'better' really. That Chelsea team often played with 2 DMs and would close shop at 1-0, with the goal probably coming from a set piece. There was a certain style in how Arsenal 2004 played attacking football week in week out and couldnt be beaten by anyone. Off the top of my head I can remember the game where we won the title at WHL when we conceded an equaliser to make it 2-2, probably because we kept attacking at 2-1. But that was the ethos of the team, and you have to be very good offensively not to get beaten over 49 games playing like that. No doubt we could have earned a 95+ points by being less cavalier. What's strange is that Chelsea set themselves up absolutely not to get beaten...and didnt manage to stay unbeaten. :wink:

A CL win is better than any championship though.

Would probably say the CL is worth 2 titles and the title is worth 2 FA Cups with the League Cup worth about a tenth of a title.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Depends what you mean by 'better' really. That Chelsea team often played with 2 DMs and would close shop at 1-0, with the goal probably coming from a set piece. There was a certain style in how Arsenal 2004 played attacking football week in week out and couldnt be beaten by anyone. Off the top of my head I can remember the game where we won the title at WHL when we conceded an equaliser to make it 2-2, probably because we kept attacking at 2-1. But that was the ethos of the team, and you have to be very good offensively not to get beaten over 49 games playing like that. No doubt we could have earned a 95+ points by being less cavalier. What's strange is that Chelsea set themselves up absolutely not to get beaten...and didnt manage to stay unbeaten. :wink:

A CL win is better than any championship though.

Would probably say the CL is worth 2 titles and the title is worth 2 FA Cups with the League Cup worth about a tenth of a title.

Loving that trophy currency conversion haha.
Original post by Pete_91
Don't be such an idiot, we wont the league unbeaten, that's the point.

You only managed 95 points throwing a few hundred million at it, should be embarrassed really.

Calls me an idiot, can't even spell won correctly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277

Haha, fair play didn't even notice the typo there.

Also typo's don't make you stupid, stupid statements do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1325
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/alex-song-could-heading-back-3463962?

£10m ? Ok.

Get Bender and Song in, Arteta to gtfo. Sorted for CM.
Reply 1327
Original post by jam277

strong sig.
Reply 1328
Original post by manchesterunited15
x

To you and others, what's the evidence that united will do better than us next season. What exactly do you think has been our obstacle?
Original post by 419
To you and others, what's the evidence that united will do better than us next season. What exactly do you think has been our obstacle?

Watch how united go out and spend money and try their best to come back. They'll also be getting a great manager in Van Gaal.

They don't settle for mediocrity, as was seen in the ruthless manner they sacked Moyes. They have a pretty large amount to spend. We've settled for mediocrity for the past 10 years, the virtual trophy becoming the pinnacle of our ambitions.

While we're gonna sit on our ass until the last 24 hours and sign an unknown French ligue 2 striker who will be hailed at the next Henry, man utd, Chelsea, man city and Liverpool will be spending serious cash recruiting world class talent.

Hopefully Arsene leaves but it's not looking likely.
Original post by 419

No 'evidence' as such, it's all speculation at this point. But basically we are both willing and able to spend money to fix our problems. You're not that willing (Wenger) and not that able (not because you don't have the money, you do, but who will you buy? You need a striker but there's not that many available really).

We have 3 of the best attacking players in the league and assuming we get LVG he should be able to get the best out of them, even if that consists of dropping one of them. Plus there's the Europe factor, look at Liverpool this season. Not saying we'll win the league but it will help to have a week off between games while you're playing midweek.
Reply 1331
you guys must be happy about the everton mess up.
surely you'll be getting top 4 this year now?
4th place and the FA cup would be a great season for you guys imo, regardless of what people spout about wenger.
No 'evidence' as such, it's all speculation at this point. But basically we are both willing and able to spend money to fix our problems. You're not that willing (Wenger) and not that able (not because you don't have the money, you do, but who will you buy? You need a striker but there's not that many available really).

We have 3 of the best attacking players in the league and assuming we get LVG he should be able to get the best out of them, even if that consists of dropping one of them. Plus there's the Europe factor, look at Liverpool this season. Not saying we'll win the league but it will help to have a week off between games while you're playing midweek.

You only have to come top 6 to be in the EL right? It's possible.
Original post by Pete_91
You only have to come top 6 to be in the EL right? It's possible.

If we win our last 3 Spurs will need 4 points from West Ham and Villa. It is possible but I think they'll get 4 at least.
Reply 1334

massive point.
if united can take advantage of the lack of extra games like we did this season, you could get straight back to the top.

i'm not saying we're only 1st because of no europe, because that simply isn't true
however logically, less games are easier on a squad with regards to maintaining the usage of their best XI.

i think that arsenal have the consistent experience in the CL, so have the advantage over liverpool, who are back in europe after a few years out.
it wouldn't be outrageous to think that liverpool could win the title then slip out of the top 4 next season, especially with how competitive the BPL is now.
If we win our last 3 Spurs will need 4 points from West Ham and Villa. It is possible but I think they'll get 4 at least.

Reckon you'll win all 3, but can't see Spurs failing to get 4/6 really. Villa might need to win to stay up though.

Can see WHU possibly pulling off an upset, they always fight like dogs against Spurs and it's at Upton. Although they are dreadful atm. Villa will be a walkover probably but theyre in relegation trouble so you never know.

Europa wouldnt hurt Utd that much because you have a fairly big squad with some promising youngsters you might be grateful to have the chance to try out in. Probably cost you 5/6 points in the League over a season maximum.

Original post by Luke_Mckeown
4th place and the FA cup would be a great season for you guys imo, regardless of what people spout about wenger.

Wasnt ever really worried, expected them to drop the points somehow. Odds before we played West Ham were about 4/6 IIRC, should have lumped on that looking back but I tend to stay away from betting on Arsenal due to extreme bias :K:

Yeah agree 100%, can never sniff at the FA Cup esp after a dry spell like weve had.
People rubish the top4 but there are always quality sides who miss out and in the modern game it is absolutely crucial to be in the CL. And immensely enjoyable as a fan, would be gutted to have to watch the other English sides in it!

Probably LFC will play AFC in the charity shield. Cant remember that ever happening so will be interesting!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Luke_Mckeown

Lol you taking the piss mate?

What about the embarrassing dickkings we've received from Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern etc.

Season has been an absolute disgrace. Going from 1st to fighting for 4th within a matter of 6-7 weeks is a disgrace.

Think of it this way: would Chelsea, man city or man utd board and fans accept such a capitulation? No way. Just shows how Wenger has managed to dupe fans into accepting mediocrity.

The quicker he leaves the better it will be for the club's ambitions. Winning the FA cup will be a nice send off.
(edited 10 years ago)
What happened to darth vader 7?
Original post by Zürich

Probably LFC will play AFC in the charity shield. Cant remember that ever happening so will be interesting!

Hadn't thought about that, has it ever happened? Most of our charity shield games were against United back in the 2000s (might have been all of them in fact).

Latest