The Student Room Group

Ribs and stomach both stick out

I would say I'm slim, but for some reason both my ribs and stomach stick out - it's noticable even through tshirts, and looks kinda weird.

What kind of body shape is this? How can I reduce it? I'm a guy btw.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonano
I would say I'm slim, but for some reason both my ribs and stomach stick out - it's noticable even through tshirts, and looks kinda weird.

What kind of body shape is this? How can I reduce it? I'm a guy btw.

Photo?
Reply 2
Original post by King Leonidas
Photo?

I'm kinda reluctant to post pics and it's quite hard to take them anyway :frown:
Original post by anonano
I'm kinda reluctant to post pics and it's quite hard to take them anyway :frown:

You're probably worried about something trivial anyway:smile:
Reply 4
You're probably worried about something trivial anyway:smile:

Haha yeah it's not having that much affect on my life but I was hoping someone might know why it looks that way, it could even be normal to have ribs sticking out like this but I assumed that would only happen if didn't also have a protruding stomach... also fyi it's probably not as bad as you are imagining, more of a side-rib sticking out kinda... hard to explain tbh
Original post by anonano
Haha yeah it's not having that much affect on my life but I was hoping someone might know why it looks that way, it could even be normal to have ribs sticking out like this but I assumed that would only happen if didn't also have a protruding stomach... also fyi it's probably not as bad as you are imagining, more of a side-rib sticking out kinda... hard to explain tbh

It doesn't look like this does it?

If so, then you have Pectus Carinatum, which is the protrusion of the ribs.
Reply 6
It doesn't look like this does it?

If so, then you have Pectus Carinatum, which is the protrusion of the ribs.

Hmm, it could be something like that, can't really work out what's going on in that pic tbh, i'm not even entirely sure what the various parts of my chest are called in order to describe - I may attempt to take a picture

Thanks for your help btw :smile:
Original post by anonano
Hmm, it could be something like that, can't really work out what's going on in that pic tbh, i'm not even entirely sure what the various parts of my chest are called in order to describe - I may attempt to take a picture

Thanks for your help btw :smile:

Feel free to pm me about it with pics:smile:
Reply 8
All right i took a pic, kinda crappy but basically those lumps you can see are some part of my ribs. for some reason in this pic it doesn't look that bad but I think its just the lighting, hard to make it out

EDIT: i added another photo before i leave this thread for a bit, hopefully it makes it clearer with the bad lighting how it looks from the front
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by anonano
All right i took a pic, kinda crappy but basically those lumps you can see are some part of my ribs. for some reason in this pic it doesn't look that bad but I think its just the lighting, hard to make it out

Woahhhhh that's really weird man. You look really bloated like when you are starving or something. Do you eat enough? Get it checked out ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Hertz
Woahhhhh that's really weird man. You look really bloated like when you are starving or something. Do you eat enough? Get it checked out ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Yeah I think I eat enough...
Reply 11
Original post by anonano
Really? Yeah I think I eat enough...

Well no offence mate. But it looks really weird are you sticking your belly out deliberately or is it like that? If not you might just have a genetic pot belly or something more serious because of l your ribs. You look fat but then anorexic is well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Hertz
Well no offence mate. But it looks really weird are you sticking your belly out deliberately or is it like that? If not you might just have a genetic pot belly or something more serious because of l your ribs. You look fat but then anorexic is well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah no offence taken, guess I'm just used to how it looks so didn't expect such a strong reaction lol. That's just how my belly is, obviously more noticeable with no tshirt. The ribs part is why I wanted to post here, yeah. If I have a tshirt it makes it look like I have moobs due to the sticking out ribs (although obv they are lower).
Reply 13
Original post by anonano
Yeah no offence taken, guess I'm just used to how it looks so didn't expect such a strong reaction lol. That's just how my belly is, obviously more noticeable with no tshirt. The ribs part is why I wanted to post here, yeah. If I have a tshirt it makes it look like I have moobs due to the sticking out ribs (although obv they are lower).

I don't know if it's normal tbh. You could be bloated or something. If your skinny the ribs thing is normal but the belly is weird with the ribs. Google it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Hertz
I don't know if it's normal tbh. You could be bloated or something. If your skinny the ribs thing is normal but the belly is weird with the ribs. Google it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't feel bloated though - just feels like a normal stomach. Not entirely sure what to google, I looked at the ribs thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread but most of those have like extreme protruding upper chests whereas this is quite low.
Reply 15
Original post by anonano
I don't feel bloated though - just feels like a normal stomach. Not entirely sure what to google, I looked at the ribs thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread but most of those have like extreme protruding upper chests whereas this is quite low.

Might just be your genetics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by anonano

You may have hyperlordosis it's a syndrome but not too serious. After looking it up I think I have it too and I'm fat. my spine curves in a little. It says it's not serious and you just need to do stretches to get rid of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Hertz
You may have hyperlordosis it's a syndrome but not too serious. After looking it up I think I have it too and I'm fat. my spine curves in a little. It says it's not serious and you just need to do stretches to get rid of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm yeah could be, although I don't usually get back pain (unless I've been hunched over for a while or something) and I wouldn't say my spine is any more curved than average.
Anonano to me it just looks like a case of being skinny fat, a small body frame with a large stomach. The rib protrusion does not look bad, unless it is causing you any discomfort/pain/breathing problems I would not see your GP. However, I would recommend adjusting your diet and weight training to improve your physique, which might also help with your general confidence too:smile:
You do appear to have an unusual rib cage structure but tbh the belly is just a problem of you being a bit fat- at least that one you can easily change if you are motivated!

Quick Reply

Latest