The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15
I know right, pretty smalltime

Personally if I was Lyrical prodigy I think she was better off not knowing about that. Respect to her for not knowing about such a loserish ting.
Original post by 419
Money doesn't necessary= success. Look at that club at Anfield road. Anyways, who do you envisage them to sign? They need to spend it correctly, as well. Look at that club at Haringey.

Of course the money needs to be spent correctly. But are you trying to say it's better to not spend at all in case of failure than to spend it?

I'd rather the club show some ambition and spend serious money, even if it fails, as opposed to doing nothing.

You can point to Tottenham failing by spending money but what about Liverpool [yes, they have spent a ton], Chelsea, Man city etc success stories.

Won't settle for mediocracy? They hired Moyes in the first place and Cleverley starts in the middle of the park for them. That's mediocracy. The sacking of Moyes was not ruthless in the slightest. He done really terribly and the sacking was simple meeting the basic requirement. It's like calling Liverpool ruthless for sacking Hogson. Bruthless is what Ambramovich and Levy do.

And like I said they will make sure to put things right next season. They made a mistake this season and watch them rectify all the mistakes

For us however we only rectify the wrongs from the past season by losing by even more bigger margins to rivals and buying unknown ligue 2 players.

Anyways, if United improve how would it impact us.

We're fourth in the league, if united get back to their old ways we'd be 5th or worse.
Do you know where we need to improve?

A **** tonne of areas. We need an actual proper defensive midfielder, a striker, a backup centre back, a RB, a LB. Many places.

We also need actual tactics on the pitch, not just the same old sideways Wengerball which the top teams rip us to shreds against.

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
this has been done 2 death, too tired to argue.

So you think it was the correct decision to loan in an injured midfielder when we needed a striker the most?
Original post by Pete_91
Lol, if Ozil was a panic buy I'd love to see who he can get without panicking...messi pls?

Ozil was pretty much an outcast at Madrid by the time he left.

We had fans rioting outside the stadium for a world class signing.

And you just need to put 2 and 2 together.

We're not even in the top 4 most attractive places in English football anymore. I can see more players prefering Chelsea, Man city, Liverpool now obviously and Man Utd over us.

Not like any of that matters anyway as we're gonna buy anyone who those teams will be interested in.
Original post by Isometrix
Bony is definitely a Drogba type player. Excellent hold up play, strength, aerial ability and a powerful striker of the ball. If he can get 25 goals for Swansea he could definitely make it at Arsenal with on form players like Walcott, Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere playing behind him.

I'm not convinced he would do a better job than Giroud tbh. Giroud has roughly the same amount of goals and a better assist return. Giroud's technical ability is certainly better than Bony's which is why he does so well in Arsenal's build up play.

I don't think we need another target man tbh. We're looking to get the best out of Ozil next season. We need more pace upfront. Drmic would be a good addition at a dirt cheap price.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2614115/Bacary-Sagna-set-reject-Arsenal-final-contract-offer-end-stay-Emirates.html#comments

How can we offer utter dross like Bendtner bumper contracts yet cannot sign up Sagna?

I don't agree with £100k/week for a 31 year old, but let's not beat around the bush here, we have the third highest wage bill in the league, yet we act so high and mighty with out wage structure.

The whole club needs a change, from the owner/board to the management.
Original post by sevchenko
I'm not convinced he would do a better job than Giroud tbh. Giroud has roughly the same amount of goals and a better assist return. Giroud's technical ability is certainly better than Bony's which is why he does so well in Arsenal's build up play.

I don't think we need another target man tbh. We're looking to get the best out of Ozil next season. We need more pace upfront. Drmic would be a good addition at a dirt cheap price.

Regardless of that, it's about quality.

Would you say no to Cavani/Suarez or Ibra e.g. if you could get them? Ibra ain't the fastest player, Cavani has some pace but isn't that amazingly fast and can hold up the ball. They're top players, plus it wouldn't matter if you have pace on the wings and Ramsey to burst through.

Ozil's problem isn't just the lack of pace but it's the lack of runners making through balls. Thomas Muller plays on one of the wings for Germany who isn't the fastest but he'll run all day giving Ozil an option to pass to.
Reply 1385
Original post by what is this
Of course the money needs to be spent correctly. But are you trying to say it's better to not spend at all in case of failure than to spend it?

I'd rather the club show some ambition and spend serious money, even if it fails, as opposed to doing nothing.

You can point to Tottenham failing by spending money but what about Liverpool [yes, they have spent a ton], Chelsea, Man city etc success stories.

I'm not denying the need to spend but I just don't believe that it'll automatically lead to instant result as everyone points out. Just like the non CL palaver people are pointing to. Liverpool did worse when they spent, their best when they spent the least.

And like I said they will make sure to put things right next season. They made a mistake this season and watch them rectify all the mistakes

For us however we only rectify the wrongs from the past season by losing by even more bigger margins to rivals and buying unknown ligue 2 players.

Like i said, it was the minimal requirement and yeah it is putting things right from their perspective but, it was not bruthal nor ruthless. And yep, there's no excuse for us to keep signing unknown names but I fear we can only sign an unknown striker. Definitely need to sign a couple of known central midfielders and Aurier. Sign him up already ffs.

We're fourth in the league, if united get back to their old ways we'd be 5th or worse.

A **** tonne of areas. We need an actual proper defensive midfielder, a striker, a backup centre back, a RB, a LB. Many places.

We also need actual tactics on the pitch, not just the same old sideways Wengerball which the top teams rip us to shreds against.

By the way things are, if Chelsea lose to Liverpool today and we win tomorrow, we'll be 3 points behind them. Not that bad if you ask me. Why do people always keep thinking that we'd be the first to drop out of the top 4? Our situation always seems the overt ominous one and yet, it always turns out not to be the case.

Wengerball works in 90% of games against top 6 below and at home against the top 6. It's away against the top 6 that it doesn't work. Hence why I don't get the automatic conclusion that we'll be the one to move out of the top 4 for united. Hopefully they win their last 3 remaining games 4-0 and hire Giggs.

And where's this nonsense that we need a LB coming from? Gibbs is decent and Nacho is a decent backup and we can afford him to have terrible games here and there.

------------
I don't doubt that we've got issue and I'm becoming more and more in favour of a managerial change but, lets not get overlying ominous about our issues and start been all doom and gloom. Swear down us Arsenal fans live in a Murphy's law universe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Regardless of that, it's about quality.

Would you say no to Cavani/Suarez or Ibra e.g. if you could get them? Ibra ain't the fastest player, Cavani has some pace but isn't that amazingly fast and can hold up the ball. They're top players, plus it wouldn't matter if you have pace on the wings and Ramsey to burst through.

Ozil's problem isn't just the lack of pace but it's the lack of runners making through balls. Thomas Muller plays on one of the wings for Germany who isn't the fastest but he'll run all day giving Ozil an option to pass to.

If they were available then yeah I'd take those players.

I agree with what you say, it's not solely about the pace of the player. Intelligent movement off the ball is just as valuable as pace because it does compensate for the lack of pace if used properly. Just look at Lallana
Reply 1387
Original post by sevchenko

He can't do a better job than Ozil but he probably can't do a worse job. He'd get 12 goals at least which can be helpful. Our situation is similar to Dortmund's and look at the names they've brought in. Non-household name but they'll do a 6-7/10 job.

Drnnic is gathering interest from BVB as well so looks like we might miss out.
I deleted my inbox, you can message me now 419 sweetie:love:
Reply 1389
Great, this is going to end well.
419 you thirsty son of a..
Original post by Miel Purple
I deleted my inbox, you can message me now 419 sweetie:love:

Now listen I'm all for you exposing 419's thirst, but I think we'd all rather you did it in the Misc thread and not the Arsenal thread. From here on in, the Arsenal thread is for Arsenal-specific wumming, of which there is plenty to do.
Original post by what is this
How can we offer utter dross like Bendtner bumper contracts yet cannot sign up Sagna?

Bendtner won't be on anything close to £100k and if he is, whoever issued the contract should be sacked.

There will be several good RB's available this summer who won't demand anything like that in wages. Micah Richards is available on a free for example, and he's a boyhood Arsenal fan.
lol

anyway; Aurier, Drmic, CDM, Vela, some unknown dirt cheap gems would be an extremely successful window for me tbh. dont think verm will leave, and we could keep viviano for another season on loan.
Reply 1394
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
lol

anyway; Aurier, Drmic, CDM, Vela, some unknown dirt cheap gems would be an extremely successful window for me tbh. dont think verm will leave, and we could keep viviano for another season on loan.

Good signings on paper though I doubt they would make all the difference atm
Only difference would be Vela. Even though he plays on the right he's capable of playing on the left and can play up front. Get a DM and a striker and everythings sorted.
Reply 1396
Original post by jam277
Only difference would be Vela. Even though he plays on the right he's capable of playing on the left and can play up front. Get a DM and a striker and everythings sorted.

Benzema + Di Maria + Bender + Richards/Chambers = 120m or so..

Imagine that one :O
Original post by SHOO
Benzema + Di Maria + Bender + Richards/Chambers = 120m or so..

Imagine that one :O

That's the stuff of dreams right there.
Reply 1398
I pray that Real Madrid buy Suarez and sell us Benzema. Best situation ever :coma:
Reply 1399
Original post by Pete_91
That's the stuff of dreams right there.

Funny you say that, I actually dreamt of it a few nights ago LOL

Honestly speaking though, I really love Di Maria, he has been excellent this season and just imagine the following team.. Just for the sake of dreaming :wink:

Szczesney

Richards Merta Kosc Gibbs

Bender Ramsey

Walcott Ozil Di Maria

Benzema

Subs: Viviano, Verm, Rosicky, Wilshere, Cazorla, Giroud, Poldi & Ox

If we winning bring on giroud to hold the ball up top, roll on the floor, waste time & chances etc..

Cazorla and will rotate with ozil and di Maria because they will not play and finish every game..

Ox to be a super sub

Wilshere for Rambo/Bender

Rocisky for the bigger games, where we need experience.. And as a sub

Poldi as a super sub

And if we're honest, it's not like injuries won't hit us so it'll allow everyone to get first team footy

Now THAT is a badass team that is capable of winning the bigger games.. And grinding out the 6-0/5-0 wins that we havnt had this season :frown:

Latest