The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
Original post by iLayton
Finally, someone who has firmed for Mech Eng on here! I'm pretty sure it's just me and you so far!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! Glad to see another mech eng firmer! I'm so excited for Birmingham, how confident are you feeling for exams?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by iDraw
Yay! Glad to see another mech eng firmer! I'm so excited for Birmingham, how confident are you feeling for exams?

I've already done my exams, so I'm pretty confident:wink: haha! What A-Levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1362
Original post by iLayton
I've already done my exams, so I'm pretty confident:wink: haha! What A-Levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh you must have an unconditional, are you on a gap year? You're so lucky :frown: I'm doing Maths w/ Mechanics, Physics and. Fine Art
Original post by iDraw
Oh you must have an unconditional, are you on a gap year? You're so lucky :frown: I'm doing Maths w/ Mechanics, Physics and. Fine Art

Haha, yeah I am! Well good luck in your exams, I'm sure you'll do great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1364
Original post by iLayton
Haha, yeah I am! Well good luck in your exams, I'm sure you'll do great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, i'm really struggling on physics at the moment since I'm retaking so many exams :K:
Original post by ronke95
AAB. Not too terrible I suppose, what's your offer??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I managed to get an unconditional offer (I have know idea why) so the pressure's off for me! I hope you do meet your offer though, I'm sure you can! What subjects are you doing at AS?
Any nursing students starting in September????
Original post by iDraw
Thanks, i'm really struggling on physics at the moment since I'm retaking so many exams :K:

Ahh which ones are you re-taking? You have it harder than I did, due no more January exams! What's your offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1368
Original post by iLayton
Ahh which ones are you re-taking? You have it harder than I did, due no more January exams! What's your offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, ive got 8 exams. I'm retaking all of Physics AS (lol!) and M1:confused::confused:
Original post by iDraw
Yeah, ive got 8 exams. I'm retaking all of Physics AS (lol!) and M1:confused::confused:

Damn that's a lot! I only had 4 last summer! I re-took unit 2 Physics, i went from a B to a mid/high A, so it's definitely worth it! :smile: and I got 5 UMS higher in M2 than M1, so I'm sure you will be fine :smile: I re-took the As ISA too :P for some reason I was terrible at them in year 12, then got good at them in year 13.. It just seemed to click, I'm sure the same will happen to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1370
Original post by iLayton
Damn that's a lot! I only had 4 last summer! I re-took unit 2 Physics, i went from a B to a mid/high A, so it's definitely worth it! :smile: and I got 5 UMS higher in M2 than M1, so I'm sure you will be fine :smile: I re-took the As ISA too :P for some reason I was terrible at them in year 12, then got good at them in year 13.. It just seemed to click, I'm sure the same will happen to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Worried about my physics isa next week...got any tips!? 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1371
Original post by adi19956
"the Facebook group"?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yh just type in Birmingham offer holders 2014/15

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by githz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's almost been a year since I've done one :P but really, just think of the questions they can ask you, like how to make it more accurate, to reduce uncertainties etc... And different types of errors (random, human..) there really isn't too much they can ask you, so you should be fine! Good luck :smile: oh and make sure you plot the graph properly :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by githz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure you're good with your uncertainties!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firmed my unconditional, anyone else doing biological sciences?
Anyone firming Mechanical Engineering? I'm worried that the course is too oriented towards cars and engines, whereas I'm more interested in design and CAD. Does anyone know if this is true? I have an unconditional and really like the uni itself as well as the city, but I'm worried that I won't enjoy the course. Any advice?!
Original post by AGlasgow
Anyone firming Mechanical Engineering? I'm worried that the course is too oriented towards cars and engines, whereas I'm more interested in design and CAD. Does anyone know if this is true? I have an unconditional and really like the uni itself as well as the city, but I'm worried that I won't enjoy the course. Any advice?!

I've firmed! Have you looked at the module list? None of them seem to be orientated to cars, they just teach us about Engineering, like thermodynamics, fluid mechanics etc... We just apply them to mechanical systems. There is a CAD module as well, so I think it will be quite varied :smile: they have a separate degree with automotive engineering... So I think just doing the Mech Eng degree, you will have nothing to worry about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iLayton
I've firmed! Have you looked at the module list? None of them seem to be orientated to cars, they just teach us about Engineering, like thermodynamics, fluid mechanics etc... We just apply them to mechanical systems. There is a CAD module as well, so I think it will be quite varied :smile: they have a separate degree with automotive engineering... So I think just doing the Mech Eng degree, you will have nothing to worry about

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I looked at the module list which led me to apply for the course in the first place, but when I went to the applicant day it was all cars cars cars haha. And ah yes, there is a separate automotive degree so hopefully the straight Mech Eng course will be more to my tastes :tongue: I would love to be a design engineer in the future so hopefully a Mech Eng course will set me up for that. Thanks for the help!
Original post by AGlasgow
Yeah I looked at the module list which led me to apply for the course in the first place, but when I went to the applicant day it was all cars cars cars haha. And ah yes, there is a separate automotive degree so hopefully the straight Mech Eng course will be more to my tastes :tongue: I would love to be a design engineer in the future so hopefully a Mech Eng course will set me up for that. Thanks for the help!

Which other uni are you considering? I know what you mean about the open day, but I think they just want to attract students, and the majority of people are going to be interested in cars etc. are you on a gap year, or are you just really clever so they have you an unconditional? :P I've got an unconditional too, but I've already done my A-Levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iLayton
Which other uni are you considering? I know what you mean about the open day, but I think they just want to attract students, and the majority of people are going to be interested in cars etc. are you on a gap year, or are you just really clever so they have you an unconditional? :P I've got an unconditional too, but I've already done my A-Levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was considering Loughborough to do Product Design Engineering, I'm a lot more interested in that course tbh, but Birmingham has everything else I want in a university haha :P And I'm in year 13, so I guess they gave me an unconditional because they THINK I'm really clever, but really it's just because I somehow managed to pull off pretty good GCSE grades, and an A*AA prediction :P Well done on securing a place though! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending