The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AGlasgow
I was considering Loughborough to do Product Design Engineering, I'm a lot more interested in that course tbh, but Birmingham has everything else I want in a university haha :P And I'm in year 13, so I guess they gave me an unconditional because they THINK I'm really clever, but really it's just because I somehow managed to pull off pretty good GCSE grades, and an A*AA prediction :P Well done on securing a place though! :biggrin:

I started at Lough this year, and i absolutely hated it! The uni is good, i just didn't realise how **** of a place Loughborough was, so i left after 10 days :L I think you've made the right choice choosing a place like Birmingham, it pretty much has everything you could ever want. Wow, fair play man! Good luck in your exams, but i guess its pretty awesome knowing you definitely have a place!
(edited 9 years ago)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by iLayton
I started at Lough this year, and i absolutely hated it! The uni is good, i just didn't really how **** of a place Loughborough was, so i left after 10 days :L I think you've made the right choice choosing a place like Birmingham, it pretty much has everything you could ever want. Wow, fair play man! Good luck in your exams, but i guess its pretty awesome knowing you definitely have a place!

Oh really? That's actually my biggest worry about it! :P Yeah I really liked Birmingham but the more I think about Mech Eng, the more I feel like I've made the wrong choice lol, I sort of rushed in to it because I wasn't sure about what else to do. Thanks a lot man and yeah if I firm it, it will be pretty awesome :P
Just got back from Birmingham. I went up for the accommodation day and stayed overnight in the city centre. Had a lovely weekend, saw all the accom, which confirmed in my mind what i had already chosen back in Jan, and saw the city at night and what it had to offer. All in all I really believe I've made the right choice. Very happy! :u:
Reply 1383
Original post by iLayton
Damn that's a lot! I only had 4 last summer! I re-took unit 2 Physics, i went from a B to a mid/high A, so it's definitely worth it! :smile: and I got 5 UMS higher in M2 than M1, so I'm sure you will be fine :smile: I re-took the As ISA too :P for some reason I was terrible at them in year 12, then got good at them in year 13.. It just seemed to click, I'm sure the same will happen to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know, I'm definitely feeling the pressure right now. Especially because of my other A Level, Fine Art and how much time and effort that takes. I retook my ISAs and I think I did well in the AS but not so much the A2 which is kinda scaring me right now. Do you know how much percentage the ISAs are worth? And if it is even possible to get a good grade after doing really bad on them?
Reply 1384
Original post by Cobbler
Just got back from Birmingham. I went up for the accommodation day and stayed overnight in the city centre. Had a lovely weekend, saw all the accom, which confirmed in my mind what i had already chosen back in Jan, and saw the city at night and what it had to offer. All in all I really believe I've made the right choice. Very happy! :u:

That's great! I really wanted to go yesterday but I didn't get a chance to which was upsetting but I fell in love with the place when I went for my applicant day. What course are you hoping to study?
Original post by iLayton
Yeah, you have to think about living in place for hopefully 4 years, i just couldn't imagine being in Loughborough for that long! Even with a Mech Eng degree, could you not go into PDE afterwards? or does it put you at a disadvantage? And have you applied to accommodation yet?

Same! All the students there seem to love it but I couldn't see the appeal. I'm pretty sure you can go into PDE after, but I'm not so sure I can do Mech Eng for 4 years, it basically comes down to living in a place I don't want to for 4 years or doing a course I'm not passionate about for 4 years.. Yeah I have! Put Tennis Courts 1st and Mason 2nd, both en suite, can't remember the rest lol, wbu?
Original post by iDraw
That's great! I really wanted to go yesterday but I didn't get a chance to which was upsetting but I fell in love with the place when I went for my applicant day. What course are you hoping to study?

I got an unconditional, so I'm definately going and I'll be doing english Lit and Classical Civ.
It was a great day. I met loads of really friendly current students who were brutally honest about the pros and cons. The weather mostly held out and compared to the applicant day in Feb, where it peed down all day, it was quite sunny and the grounds looked lovely.
I really liked the Vale, it was green and had a lovely lake. Masons had the best position overlooking the lake but is way out of my price range, i'm going for Maple Bank, which was really quite nice. Pritchats park was great too.
what are you hoping to do and what accom have you applied for?
Same! All the students there seem to love it but I couldn't see the appeal. I'm pretty sure you can go into PDE after, but I'm not so sure I can do Mech Eng for 4 years, it basically comes down to living in a place I don't want to for 4 years or doing a course I'm not passionate about for 4 years.. Yeah I have! Put Tennis Courts 1st and Mason 2nd, both en suite, can't remember the rest lol, wbu?

Yeah, you're in a bit of a tough situation! Is your offer for the MEng then? Mines only the BEng, but I'm planning to transfer after the second year ( need to get 60% i think). Yeah mines Tennis courts to... not really bothered about my other choices :P
Reply 1388
Original post by Cobbler
I got an unconditional, so I'm definately going and I'll be doing english Lit and Classical Civ.<br>
It was a great day. I met loads of really friendly current students who were brutally honest about the pros and cons. The weather mostly held out and compared to the applicant day in Feb, where it peed down all day, it was quite sunny and the grounds looked lovely.<br>
I really liked the Vale, it was green and had a lovely lake. Masons had the best position overlooking the lake but is way out of my price range, i'm going for Maple Bank, which was really quite nice. Pritchats park was great too.<br>
<br>
<br>
Yeah the Vale looked awesome but I don't think I have a chance of living there bec
Original post by iDraw
Yeah I know, I'm definitely feeling the pressure right now. Especially because of my other A Level, Fine Art and how much time and effort that takes. I retook my ISAs and I think I did well in the AS but not so much the A2 which is kinda scaring me right now. Do you know how much percentage the ISAs are worth? And if it is even possible to get a good grade after doing really bad on them?

I think they're worth 20%, so its definitely still possible to get a good grade! Good luck :smile:
Reply 1390
Original post by Cobbler
I got an unconditional, so I'm definately going and I'll be doing english Lit and Classical Civ.
It was a great day. I met loads of really friendly current students who were brutally honest about the pros and cons. The weather mostly held out and compared to the applicant day in Feb, where it peed down all day, it was quite sunny and the grounds looked lovely.
I really liked the Vale, it was green and had a lovely lake. Masons had the best position overlooking the lake but is way out of my price range, i'm going for Maple Bank, which was really quite nice. Pritchats park was great too.

Yeah the Vale looked awesome but I don't think I have a chance of living there because I just applied like yesterday (lol!) I did put Maple as my first as well because Mason is too expensive for me also. Oh that's weird, my friend said it rained all day:frown: On my applicant day, it was nice and sunny :smile: And Pritchats Park seemed nice too. I've applied for mechanical engineering. One of the very few females :eek:
Original post by iDraw
Yeah the Vale looked awesome but I don't think I have a chance of living there because I just applied like yesterday (lol!) I did put Maple as my first as well because Mason is too expensive for me also. Oh that's weird, my friend said it rained all day:frown: On my applicant day, it was nice and sunny :smile: And Pritchats Park seemed nice too. I've applied for mechanical engineering. One of the very few females :eek:

Maybe your friend was there later than me? I was there from about 11am - 2pm and i only had my brolly up once when we were waiting for the coach from Pratchits to The Vale. We even took the walk from Maple bank to the clock tower to see how long it took (about 15 - 20 mins, very doable) and it didn't rain.
I spoke to one girl at Maple bank and she said that she applied in May and got in, so all is not lost.:wink:
Original post by iLayton
Yeah, you're in a bit of a tough situation! Is your offer for the MEng then? Mines only the BEng, but I'm planning to transfer after the second year ( need to get 60% i think). Yeah mines Tennis courts to... not really bothered about my other choices :P

Yeah my offers for the MEng, hopefully I can actually get through the 4 years, it seems like a pretty challenging course! Oh cool! Maybe we'll be seeing each other soon then :biggrin:
Yeah my offers for the MEng, hopefully I can actually get through the 4 years, it seems like a pretty challenging course! Oh cool! Maybe we'll be seeing each other soon then :biggrin:

Nice one! yeah, but I'm sure its just like A-Levels, if you're willing to put the hours in, you will do well! (hopefully anyway :P). Yeah man, there's hardly anyone who's firmed on here or the FB group, but it is quite a small intake at Birmingham, 55 compared to normally around 100!
Reply 1394
Original post by Cobbler
Maybe your friend was there later than me? I was there from about 11am - 2pm and i only had my brolly up once when we were waiting for the coach from Pratchits to The Vale. We even took the walk from Maple bank to the clock tower to see how long it took (about 15 - 20 mins, very doable) and it didn't rain.
I spoke to one girl at Maple bank and she said that she applied in May and got in, so all is not lost.:wink:

No, my friend goes to the university so he was there all day and we were talking around 3pm so yeah that makes sense. Yay, that makes me feel better haha. I'm really hoping I still have a bit of a chance. Lucky you've got an unconditional so you can relax for exams :smile:
Firmed Birmingham for History :smile: anyone know about the Facebook Freshers group?
Original post by iDraw
No, my friend goes to the university so he was there all day and we were talking around 3pm so yeah that makes sense. Yay, that makes me feel better haha. I'm really hoping I still have a bit of a chance. Lucky you've got an unconditional so you can relax for exams :smile:

They have this new scheme that when you get your accom offer, you enter your room number and they put you in touch with the other students, via twitter or facebook, that you are sharing with before you get there.
Reply 1397
Original post by iLayton
Nice one! yeah, but I'm sure its just like A-Levels, if you're willing to put the hours in, you will do well! (hopefully anyway :P). Yeah man, there's hardly anyone who's firmed on here or the FB group, but it is quite a small intake at Birmingham, 55 compared to normally around 100!

There's a Facebook group?
Original post by charlotteellinor
Firmed Birmingham for History :smile: anyone know about the Facebook Freshers group?

Well done! :smile: Here are the links to the Facebook Freshers' group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/697035876984422/?fref=ts and the Offer Holders' group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/343156419158344/

Original post by Cobbler
They have this new scheme that when you get your accom offer, you enter your room number and they put you in touch with the other students, via twitter or facebook, that you are sharing with before you get there.

Oh, that sounds cool! :biggrin:
Reply 1399
Original post by Cobbler

That's great! Have you already received your accommodation offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending