The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fizzel
I'm not so sure tbh. I think given the right personnel Wenger's faults would become more apparent and less acceptable. You look at the areas of management Wenger is truly WC, they aren't of much use at a club like Madrid.

So the invincibles weren't brilliantly tactically set-up? That Madrid team had better players in 2010/11 and he could have used the same set-up.
Original post by Pete_91
So the invincibles weren't brilliantly tactically set-up? That Madrid team had better players in 2010/11 and he could have used the same set-up.
People bring up the Invincible's but that is a team a decade ago, its a feat that Wenger achieved once. In terms of analysis its an outlier of a season. Wenger is not a WC tactician.
Original post by Fizzel
People bring up the Invincible's but that is a team a decade ago, its a feat that Wenger achieved once. In terms of analysis its an outlier of a season. Wenger is not a WC tactician.

So we're totally disregarding the tactics used to get to the 06 CL final without conceding a goal for 1000 mins? Or the tactics that won 2 doubles and 4 FA cups? Wenger wasn't a one season wonder, yes that's the pinnacle but pre 2007 he was more than capable of beating anyone.

Almost every season in which he had the personnel that were capable he won the league, 99 and 03 are probably the only seasons where that didn't happen.
Original post by Pete_91

I'm not sure they were tbh. They were just overwhelming in their technical brilliance and played basically the same gameplan every week knowing they didnt need a plan B.

Our 2006 CL run was hugely more tactical, some of the wins in that were terrific.

Also the 1998 PL winning team was probably set up more tactically than 2004.
Original post by Zürich
I'm not sure they were tbh. They were just overwhelming in their technical brilliance and played basically the same gameplan every week knowing they didnt need a plan B.

Our 2006 CL run was hugely more tactical, some of the wins in that were terrific.

Also the 1998 PL winning team was probably set up more tactically than 2004.

If Plan A works to the effect it did though, who needs plan B? They couldn't handle our primary tactics of attacking directly on the counter.
Original post by Pete_91
If Plan A works to the effect it did though, who needs plan B? They couldn't handle our primary tactics of attacking directly on the counter.

True, but it's hard to call that team tactical then really.

As I say, some of the wins in 2006 like over Juve/Real/Vilareal were very tactical. Even the final was tactically spot on with 10 men. Particularly remember Wenger using Flamini in pretty much every position during that year and Fabregas vs Juventus was special :moon:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
True, but it's hard to call that team tactical then really.

As I say, some of the wins in 2006 like over Juve/Real/Vilareal were very tactical. Even the final was tactically spot on with 10 men. Particularly remember Wenger using Flamini in pretty much every position during that year and Fabregas vs Juventus was special :moon:

Yeah Pires dispossessing Vieira and Cesc slotting it home :sogood:
Original post by Pete_91
Yeah Pires dispossessing Vieira and Cesc slotting it home :sogood:

Was at that game and we did an absolute job on Vieira that night, Fabregas ran rings round him. Ibrahimovic was just dealt with as well.

One of my all time favourites that one.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
On the other hand I would argue Wenger would have been more successful given he'd have gone toe to toe with Pep's tika-taka philosophy instead of the negative tactics that Mou used during his time at RM. Wenger hasn't had a squad with the amount of quality RM possess for a long time so you never know he'd fare. Mou didn't work out the best strategy to beat Pep, I'm sure Wenger would've had more success.

Mourinho went toe to toe with Barca in the first classico and that ended 5-0. He knew from there he would need more negative tactics to win.
theres no shame in losing 2-0 to chelsea lets just remember arsenal lost 6-0 a few weeks ago
Original post by baconbutty
theres no shame in losing 2-0 to chelsea lets just remember arsenal lost 6-0 a few weeks ago

"i like arsenal" yeah right :rolleyes:
Original post by Zürich
Was at that game and we did an absolute job on Vieira that night, Fabregas ran rings round him. Ibrahimovic was just dealt with as well.

One of my all time favourites that one.

Ah man wish I could have seen it live, remember watching the match on tv, Vieira got done as you've said.
Original post by shawn_o1
"i like arsenal" yeah right :rolleyes:

i do like arsenal

more than liverpool infact
i do like arsenal

more than liverpool infact

but the content of your posts on this thread suggests you don't really. Or you just like the way they always seem to fail every season. That's what rivals do right?

(Look at this season compared to the last. Back then Arsenal lost at home to Chelsea, Swansea, and Man City by the turn of 2013 and everyone expected them to fall short)

didnt get schooled at home though.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
didnt get schooled at home though.

you did they beat you 2-0 in the league cup at the emirates as well
Reply 1476
you did they beat you 2-0 in the league cup at the emirates as well

with our B team.
Original post by trrr
with our B team.

and we used our second team. Your B team cost more than our first team.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
and we used our youth team. Your B team cost more than our first team.

21 Fabianski

25 Jenkinson

17 Monreal

16 Ramsey (Park - 81' )

06 Koscielny

05 Vermaelen

31 Miyaichi (Özil - 63' )

10 Wilshere

23 Bendtner (Giroud - 67' )

07 Rosicky

19 Cazorla

didn't realise that was your youth team
Original post by Pete_91
So we're totally disregarding the tactics used to get to the 06 CL final without conceding a goal for 1000 mins? Or the tactics that won 2 doubles and 4 FA cups? Wenger wasn't a one season wonder, yes that's the pinnacle but pre 2007 he was more than capable of beating anyone.
No were just acknowledging that that doesn't make someone tactically world class. Ferguson wasn't a tactical genius, many people would consider Bielsa to be, success comes as a package not a single aspect, Bielsa has many other flaws and Fergie many other strengths. My argument wasn't that Wenger was a tactical idiot, I just don't think he's as good tactician as Mou or Guardiola. If I was compiling a list of the best tacticians in football, I'm not sure Wenger would make the top 10.

Almost every season in which he had the personnel that were capable he won the league, 99 and 03 are probably the only seasons where that didn't happen.
Because he's a good manager, that was never the argument though. The argument where which are his strong suits in management and which are his weaknesses. I don't think they line up with a club like Madrid.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest