The Student Room Group

Conflict or Character and Voice?

I have a choice between Conflict and Character and Voice (our teacher changed it) now I'm wondering which cluster is easier in terms of questions/poems?
Is this for GCSE? Are you doing AQA?
Reply 2
Original post by KingStannis
Is this for GCSE? Are you doing AQA?

Yes and yes :smile:
I do Character and Voice, it's not too bad IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Levingne
Yes and yes :smile:

Okay, based on that information I lean towards conflict. Are you studying the Moon on the Tides poetry anthology?

I liked the poems on that anthology, they weren't too hard to analyse and had themes cared about. None of all the lovey stuff I say on the "relationships" module.

However, you might not find them to your taste. Some examples of the poems I particularly enjoyed were "Futility" by Wilfred Owen and "Hawk Roosting" by Ted Hughes. I'll post them below so you can see them:

Futility:

Move him into the sun -
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields unsown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds, -
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved - still warm - too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
- O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth's sleep at all?

Hawk Roosting:

I sit in the top of the wood, my eyes closed.
Inaction, no falsifying dream
Between my hooked head and hooked feet:
Or in sleep rehearse perfect kills and eat.

The convenience of the high trees!
The air's buoyancy and the sun's ray
Are of advantage to me;
And the earth's face upward for my inspection.

My feet are locked upon the rough bark.
It took the whole of Creation
To produce my foot, my each feather:
Now I hold Creation in my foot

Or fly up, and revolve it all slowly -
I kill where I please because it is all mine.
There is no sophistry in my body:
My manners are tearing off heads -

The allotment of death.
For the one path of my flight is direct
Through the bones of the living.
No arguments assert my right:

The sun is behind me.
Nothing has changed since I began.
My eye has permitted no change.
I am going to keep things like this.

If you enjoy poetry like this then I recommend Conflict. However, I can't comment on Character and voice at all. It sounds quite interesting.
Reply 5
Okay, based on that information I lean towards conflict. Are you studying the Moon on the Tides poetry anthology?

I liked the poems on that anthology, they weren't too hard to analyse and had themes cared about. None of all the lovey stuff I say on the "relationships" module.

However, you might not find them to your taste. Some examples of the poems I particularly enjoyed were "Futility" by Wilfred Owen and "Hawk Roosting" by Ted Hughes. I'll post them below so you can see them:

Futility:

Move him into the sun -
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields unsown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds, -
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved - still warm - too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
- O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth's sleep at all?

Hawk Roosting:

I sit in the top of the wood, my eyes closed.
Inaction, no falsifying dream
Between my hooked head and hooked feet:
Or in sleep rehearse perfect kills and eat.

The convenience of the high trees!
The air's buoyancy and the sun's ray
Are of advantage to me;
And the earth's face upward for my inspection.

My feet are locked upon the rough bark.
It took the whole of Creation
To produce my foot, my each feather:
Now I hold Creation in my foot

Or fly up, and revolve it all slowly -
I kill where I please because it is all mine.
There is no sophistry in my body:
My manners are tearing off heads -

The allotment of death.
For the one path of my flight is direct
Through the bones of the living.
No arguments assert my right:

The sun is behind me.
Nothing has changed since I began.
My eye has permitted no change.
I am going to keep things like this.

If you enjoy poetry like this then I recommend Conflict. However, I can't comment on Character and voice at all. It sounds quite interesting.

Thank you :smile: I think I might stick to Conflict for the sake of Ted Hughes! I guess there's a lot you could say about these poems. Thanks again!
Reply 6
Original post by majmuh24
I do Character and Voice, it's not too bad IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: My teacher is covering C&V in class but he's SO vague about each poem. I think it's mostly because we haven't got long left but I feel that it's a bit rushed, so I might stick with Conflict (have better annotation).
Out of curiosity how are you revising for this exam? :smile:
Thanks :smile: My teacher is covering C&V in class but he's SO vague about each poem. I think it's mostly because we haven't got long left but I feel that it's a bit rushed, so I might stick with Conflict (have better annotation).
Out of curiosity how are you revising for this exam? :smile:

Make some notes, look at some interpretation, learn the terminology and some complex vocabulary and practice my BSing skills :tongue: IMHO, you can make up pretty much anything and as long as you can find a way to link it to something in the poem and make it support your point, you're fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :smile: I think I might stick to Conflict for the sake of Ted Hughes! I guess there's a lot you could say about these poems. Thanks again!

Your welcome .

Owen is the superior poet though.

EDIT: PM me if you have any questions about the poems; I got an A* in the exam. I can easily dig out my GCSE notes and help :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by majmuh24
Make some notes, look at some interpretation, learn the terminology and some complex vocabulary and practice my BSing skills :tongue: IMHO, you can make up pretty much anything and as long as you can find a way to link it to something in the poem and make it support your point, you're fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah the must have skill for any essay subject! thanks and good luck with your exam. :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by levingne
i have a choice between conflict and character and voice (our teacher changed it) now i'm wondering which cluster is easier in terms of questions/poems?

conflict!
Reply 11
Your welcome .

Owen is the superior poet though.

EDIT: PM me if you have any questions about the poems; I got an A* in the exam. I can easily dig out my GCSE notes and help :smile:

They're both amazing in their own ways :tongue: and woah well done,that's really good!
Do you have any notes at hand that I could have a look at?- If it's a bother don't worry! thank you so much :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Hertz
conflict!

They're both amazing in their own ways :tongue: and woah well done,that's really good!
Do you have any notes at hand that I could have a look at?- If it's a bother don't worry! thank you so much :smile:

I do have some notes, but they're sparse and unneat. They wouldn't help much, I didn't revise much tbh. also, I wouldn't know where to begin with getting pics up.

Just PM me with any poems and I can have a look and give it ago.
Reply 14

Yeehaa! Yes thats why you should pick it!"
Reply 15
I do have some notes, but they're sparse and unneat. They wouldn't help much, I didn't revise much tbh. also, I wouldn't know where to begin with getting pics up.

Just PM me with any poems and I can have a look and give it ago.

Fair enough :smile: thank you though,there isn't any poems particular that I'm stuck on but if that goes drastically wrong I may PM you. Thanks!:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Hertz
Yeehaa! Yes thats why you should pick it!"

I guess that's a good enough reason :tongue: Have you heard any predictions for Conflict yet?
Reply 17
I guess that's a good enough reason :tongue: Have you heard any predictions for Conflict yet?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2661955

Quick Reply

Latest