The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pane123
It's how I make my living. £175 is tiny compared to some folk.

Glad it's you and not me then!
Original post by Midlander
Glad it's you and not me then!

Everything's relative. If you can afford to lose £175 then it's no different to betting £1 if you can afford to lose it.
Really impressed with Reading, they won the u21 premier league cup, had a better injured 1st 11 than the team on the field for lots of the time, with an absent owner and no money, and still squeezing into the playoffs (hopefully).
Original post by ra-ra-ra
You might not have to dream, you're in the play-offs!

All over in the Conference Leagues.

Can't quite believe what happened to Chester, even as a Wrexham fan I am genuinely gutted to see them relegated. I enjoy our derbies and even though they managed to take 4 points off us this season it's been nice to have them back in the league with us. What a crazy end though, just as Salisbury scored to make it 2-2, Hereford scored moments later to make them swap places, all in the 87th minute.

I was keeping up to date with this and it was very surprising. But Chester have rocketed through the leagues since going out of business so it must be difficult to keep improving at that rate.

On another note, did anyone see that AFC Fylde finished 3rd in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier with 93 points? Crazy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Scott129
Oh please, your numbers 28 and 15 (sorry, I don't know Italian football that well) spent the majority of the first half in the ref's ear, after clashing with Martin and Forsyth respectively. And, just for the record, what "penalty" would that have been?

As for the play-acting, fair enough you had two players actually go off. But there was still a hell of a lot of rolling around (Pudil especially, I noticed - that guy seemed to have an aversion to aerial battles) and it only seemed to be when you were level. Funny how that works out.

Credit to you for actually trying to play football though. Most teams come and just shut up shop for 90 minutes.

What did you think to Forsyth as well, out of interest? Not bad for 150K! :wink:

I heard nothing about a penalty that supposedly should have been given... Toszer(28) only is in the refs ear because he wants to win more than most players at the club, which is stupid as he's on loan from Genoa...

They're European, they play football by rolling around. You should have seem Fabbrini.

Forsyth? McClaren should be given Manager of the year just for turning him into something that resembles a footballer, he was shocking for us.

Our seasons over now, the summer must bring the permenant signing of Toszer, keeping Deeney/Angella or signing immediate replacements, not Italian deadwood. Sign a few players with Championship experience, as well as a replacement for Vydra, or Vydra himself. Bring Fabbrini back, on his day, which so far have been few and far, he wrecks havoc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1065
You might not have to dream, you're in the play-offs!

All over in the Conference Leagues.

Can't quite believe what happened to Chester, even as a Wrexham fan I am genuinely gutted to see them relegated. I enjoy our derbies and even though they managed to take 4 points off us this season it's been nice to have them back in the league with us. What a crazy end though, just as Salisbury scored to make it 2-2, Hereford scored moments later to make them swap places, all in the 87th minute. As for Wrexham, i'm glad to see the season over. Only five of our players have contracts for next season, so I'm expecting to see a completely different Wrexham team on the pitch next season. A fresh start for Kevin Wilkin could be something we need. A season to forget. Halifax managed to keep that play-off place too! Halifax v Cambridge and Grimsby v Gateshead in the play-offs.

In the North Telford were promoted today, not a bad away trip so I don't mind seeing them return. Wouldn't mind seeing Hednesford Town promoted in the play-offs, a different ground not too far away.

Crazy end in the South too with Dover scoring a late penalty against Hayes and Yeading to get them into the playoffs and to relegate Hayes and Yeading.

Are we really?! It still hasn't sunk in that I'm not actually dreaming all this!
Our form in 2014 has been nothing short of phenomenal. 48pts from 66, only 8 goals conceded. 2nd best in Lg 2 is Burton over this time, with a whopping 17 goals conceded! And if you go from Feb, rather than Jan, ours goes to just 3 conceded!

I was sad to see about Chester - thought they might just do it when they won last week, but alas, not to be.

Sounds like you'll be having a big changeover of players! Any in particular you've got your eyes on?

I'd quite like any of those in the play offs to go up. Cambridge, because they've suffered the conf long enough, Gateshead cos of Gary Mills, Grimsby because of all the former York players who are there, and Halifax, as it's a local away trip!
Original post by Midlander
Very surprised that the game was so close in the end, and seemingly very generous of you to give us an equaliser after our best efforts to mess it up :wink:

Knew it'd be close, we don't beat you that well. Actually from memory you're the only team this season we haven't managed to beat - have a trophy :wink:
Original post by hskjlclcn
Knew it'd be close, we don't beat you that well. Actually from memory you're the only team this season we haven't managed to beat - have a trophy :wink:

If we were run with any modicum of common sense you'd have been on the end of a spanking :tongue:
Original post by bun
Are we really?! It still hasn't sunk in that I'm not actually dreaming all this!
Our form in 2014 has been nothing short of phenomenal. 48pts from 66, only 8 goals conceded. 2nd best in Lg 2 is Burton over this time, with a whopping 17 goals conceded! And if you go from Feb, rather than Jan, ours goes to just 3 conceded!

I was sad to see about Chester - thought they might just do it when they won last week, but alas, not to be.

Sounds like you'll be having a big changeover of players! Any in particular you've got your eyes on?

I'd quite like any of those in the play offs to go up. Cambridge, because they've suffered the conf long enough, Gateshead cos of Gary Mills, Grimsby because of all the former York players who are there, and Halifax, as it's a local away trip!

Yeah, very impressive form which has seen you climb right up that table. I can see why it all feels like a dream because in January avoiding relegation was probably you main priority. You’re due a trip to Wembley too. :wink:

There are many players I want but none that will come to Wrexham. With a low wage budget and only really being able to offer players one year contracts isn’t ideal for a lot of players which is why we tend to miss out. Kevin Wilkin seems to know what he wants though and has said he’s already spoken to a few players. He seems quite keen to bring a few of the Nuneaton lads over too so i guess someone like Louis Moult I wouldn't mind, but to be honest with you I can’t see us getting out of this league for a while.

Gary Mills has done an absolutely outstanding job at Gateshead. There were near the bottom when he took over as I remember they went something like 5 or 6 without a win in their opening games. Then he went through October unbeaten and has only lost four games since then, one of those being a very unlucky defeat against us as we scored a 93rd minute winner. Mills has been in this position with getting a club in the play-offs before whereas Gateshead as a club have never been in the play-off position so hopefully with his experience it could help them. Considering they finished 17th last season and this season they were 3rd is amazing. I feel a bit sorry for Braintree with only just missing out but they seemed to have lost it towards the end with only managing to win three of their last ten matches.Wouldn't mind seeing Grimsby or Cambridge heading out of the league just because it'd be one less of the more known teams out of the league but I think it would be amazing for either Halifax or Gateshead to go up. Imagine if that's the final, I bet you no one would have guessed it would be them two!
(edited 9 years ago)
A bit early I know as many teams cling in the balance but seeing as for once we're clear of relegation with games to go i'll ask if anybody is thinking of going on a pre season tour? I went last year to portugal and had muchos fun.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
A bit early I know as many teams cling in the balance but seeing as for once we're clear of relegation with games to go i'll ask if anybody is thinking of going on a pre season tour? I went last year to portugal and had muchos fun.

How many of there were you? I know Watford went to, yes, Italy, who would've guessed, this preseason and about 12 people went to watch them, wondering if thats our **** support or a normality in the league.
Original post by CraigWM
Watford fan signing in, I guess. Going for a 7-0 victory against City this weekend.

Just saw your post. Sorry for the randomness of this quote. Have you ever been to their training ground? I officiated a Watford academy game today and I met allot of the players,in the canteen before hand for example deeney, Anya, samba diakete and almunia. They were all really nice. I met your gaffer briefly ( I asked him for directions without realising who he was):biggrin: He didn't reply, but he shook my hand.
Was an interesting morning.Btw I'm a qpr fan:smile:
Original post by CraigWM
How many of there were you? I know Watford went to, yes, Italy, who would've guessed, this preseason and about 12 people went to watch them, wondering if thats our **** support or a normality in the league.

We took around 500 for the first game and around 1000 for the second game very roughly. Hull brought about 100 and Braga brought none :lol:
Original post by jacob1208
Just saw your post. Sorry for the randomness of this quote. Have you ever been to their training ground? I officiated a Watford academy game today and I met allot of the players,in the canteen before hand for example deeney, Anya, samba diakete and almunia. They were all really nice. I met your gaffer briefly ( I asked him for directions without realising who he was):biggrin: He didn't reply, but he shook my hand.
Was an interesting morning.Btw I'm a qpr fan:smile:

Oh, what age group? Most of the players do seem down to earth, Deeney was in prison last year and his turnarounds been nothing short of remarkable. Ah, the gaffer, yeah he wouldn't have had a clue what you were on about, he came in January and doesn't speak English properly yet!

I've never been to the training grond, no. Were you at London Colney or at the Harefield Academy?
Reply 1074
Yeah, very impressive form which has seen you climb right up that table. I can see why it all feels like a dream because in January avoiding relegation was probably you main priority. You’re due a trip to Wembley too. :wink:

There are many players I want but none that will come to Wrexham. With a low wage budget and only really being able to offer players one year contracts isn’t ideal for a lot of players which is why we tend to miss out. Kevin Wilkin seems to know what he wants though and has said he’s already spoken to a few players. He seems quite keen to bring a few of the Nuneaton lads over too so i guess someone like Louis Moult I wouldn't mind, but to be honest with you I can’t see us getting out of this league for a while.

Gary Mills has done an absolutely outstanding job at Gateshead. There were near the bottom when he took over as I remember they went something like 5 or 6 without a win in their opening games. Then he went through October unbeaten and has only lost four games since then, one of those being a very unlucky defeat against us as we scored a 93rd minute winner. Mills has been in this position with getting a club in the play-offs before whereas Gateshead as a club have never been in the play-off position so hopefully with his experience it could help them. Considering they finished 17th last season and this season they were 3rd is amazing. I feel a bit sorry for Braintree with only just missing out but they seemed to have lost it towards the end with only managing to win three of their last ten matches.Wouldn't mind seeing Grimsby or Cambridge heading out of the league just because it'd be one less of the more known teams out of the league but I think it would be amazing for either Halifax or Gateshead to go up. Imagine if that's the final, I bet you no one would have guessed it would be them two!

Yeah, we've not been in a year, bout time we went back there :wink:

Ah, fair enough. Hopefully there'll be a fair few decent players knocking around that you can pick up cheaply. Is your budget really that bad?! I'd have thought with the crowds you get compared to some your budget should be ok.

Indeed! Gateshead have had a wonderful upturn in results since he came in. Probably one of the best non-league managers around. The positive if they go up though is that that's one relegation spot taken! Mills is a pretty awful manager in reality. Tactically very naive, and he'll get found out in the league as he did with York. One problem with Gateshead is they'd probably set all kind of unwanted records for worst home and away attendences in the league. We've been moaning at Accrington this year, but even they bring more than Gateshead!

Halifax - Gateshead final would be brilliant, though!
Championship Team of the Year: Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester), Kieran Trippier (Burnley), Aaron Cresswell (Ipswich), Wes Morgan (Leicester), Jason Shackell (Burnley), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester), Andy Reid, Craig Bryson (Derby), Will Hughes (Derby), Danny Ings (Burnley), Ross McCormack (Leeds).

Not too much of a surprise there in all honesty. Was surprised to see Angella get in there amongst the centre backs but I've heard Morgan has been great all season and whilst I haven't heard much about Cresswell, he's probably done better defending anyway.
Not sure on Big Wes getting in tbh - he's not been as good as he was last season (perhaps because Moore and Wasyl are better than Keane & Whitbread) but I suppose the captain of the title winners had to make it in.

Can't agree with the midfield either - Drinkwater is a brilliant player, but James should be in there as well - they essentially come as a pair from what we've seen this season. Would have been a better choice than Reid - while he has played well, he's hardly played half a seasons worth.
Original post by CraigWM
Championship Team of the Year: Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester), Kieran Trippier (Burnley), Aaron Cresswell (Ipswich), Wes Morgan (Leicester), Jason Shackell (Burnley), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester), Andy Reid, Craig Bryson (Derby), Will Hughes (Derby), Danny Ings (Burnley), Ross McCormack (Leeds).

Not too much of a surprise there in all honesty. Was surprised to see Angella get in there amongst the centre backs but I've heard Morgan has been great all season and whilst I haven't heard much about Cresswell, he's probably done better defending anyway.

I think Deeney's absence is more of a surprise than Angella's. Consider the number of goals conceded, any Watford defensive player is going to be overlooked - although his attacking form has been incredible.

Deeney, on the other hand, has scored two more than Danny Ings, and almost single-handedly saved any potential Watford despair. Ings and Vokes have been brilliant, but it has been together. Also, Jordan Rhodes and Lewis Grabban have also scored more, and Chris Martin the same amount, so why not them?

Surprised to see Will Hughes in there though. Admittedly, I don't watch that many Derby games, but I've never been overly impressed by him, and his season stats are not overly impressive. Is it just a case of him being Will Hughes so he has to be on there, or has he actually been good.

Also, my housemate went to school with Hughes; supposedly he is massively egotistical, so he will fit right when he gets an England call-up.
Derby to win the Championship Play-offs!!
Original post by billybo_h
I think Deeney's absence is more of a surprise than Angella's. Consider the number of goals conceded, any Watford defensive player is going to be overlooked - although his attacking form has been incredible.

Deeney, on the other hand, has scored two more than Danny Ings, and almost single-handedly saved any potential Watford despair. Ings and Vokes have been brilliant, but it has been together. Also, Jordan Rhodes and Lewis Grabban have also scored more, and Chris Martin the same amount, so why not them?

Surprised to see Will Hughes in there though. Admittedly, I don't watch that many Derby games, but I've never been overly impressed by him, and his season stats are not overly impressive. Is it just a case of him being Will Hughes so he has to be on there, or has he actually been good.

Also, my housemate went to school with Hughes; supposedly he is massively egotistical, so he will fit right when he gets an England call-up.

I'm surprised to see Hughesy in there too. He's a good player and no doubt one of the best midfielders in the league but, on current form, he's not even starting for us at the minute as Hendrick's keeping him out.

I can confirm that he is very egotistical too. Tried to charge me for a photo on a night out and I told him where to go. Jeff Hendrick and Johnny Russell were more than happy to have one taken with me (the latter even bought me a drink) but Hughes just stood there sulking and giving me evils whilst it was taken. I find it really difficult to cheer for him after that incident.

Quick Reply

Latest