The Student Room Group

What's wrong with not answering your phone?

I don't get why people get so angry at me about this but for some reason I never answer my phone (only if it's my Mum or someone important). People always say to me ''What's the point in you even having a phone if you don't answer it?'' and I really don't know.

Most of the time I just watch it ring because I can't be bothered to talk to people. I thought this was what most people did?

I'm not in a relationship with my phone, sometimes it dies and I can't be bothered to charge it so it ends up being dead for a few days.

Why don't people understand that it's my phone so I decide when I want to answer it?!

My friend tagged me in a meme on Facebook about people who don't answer their phones and it's hurt my feelings :frown: lol.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reeeeyah
I don't get why people get so angry at me about this but for some reason I never answer my phone (only if it's my Mum or someone important). People always say to me ''What's the point in you even having a phone if you don't answer it?'' and I really don't know.

Most of the time I just watch it ring because I can't be bothered to talk to people. I thought this was what most people did?

I'm not in a relationship with my phone, sometimes it dies and I can't be bothered to charge it so it ends up being dead for a few days.

Why don't people understand that it's my phone so I decide when I want to answer it?!

My friend tagged me in a meme on Facebook about people who don't answer their phones and it's hurt my feelings :frown: lol.

I also do this however I can see why it drives people nuts! How would you feel if someone never answered your phone call when you wanted to talk to them? It would feel like you were being rejected in some form. As someone who does this I know it is not your intention to hurt anyone however it is upsetting to be on the other end.

It's your phone, your choice and maybe people should be more understanding but you need to be more understanding too.
Reply 2
I have specific rules about my phone. I don't answer unknown numbers and I don't call back anyone who calls more than once in the space of a few minutes as it usually means they want something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If I call somebody it's because I need to speak to them. If they don't answer when i need them, it's rude and I won't bother wasting my time speaking to them again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
If one of my friends has taken the time out of his day to give me a call I gladly answer it. They probably feel just as hurt by your never answering it, as you did when they made fun of you for not answering.
Original post by samba
If I call somebody it's because I need to speak to them. If they don't answer when i need them, it's rude and I won't bother wasting my time speaking to them again.

I admire you for doing this. I'd love to be able to be so firm
Because it's rude and it could be a matter of emergency.
Reply 7
It's rude, why have their number in the first place if you don't want to talk to them? I can understand if its that you aren't in the mood but surely this isn't all the time? otherwise they aren't contacts worth having on your phone if you dislike talking to them...
Tbh, I don't like answering my phone either, I'd much rather they text me first :dontknow:

If its an emergency, text me and then, ill pick up the phone.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jebedee
I have specific rules about my phone. I don't answer unknown numbers and I don't call back anyone who calls more than once in the space of a few minutes as it usually means they want something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

...or maybe it's an emergency?

Original post by Reeeeyah

Again, what if your friend has just had something huge and terrible happen in their life (like the death of a loved one or something) and you're the person they turn to for support?

I understand not hearing your phone or being too busy to answer, but just watching it ring? That's just plain weird.
I dont answer my phone because no one calls me:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't get angry at someone for not answering their phone. I may call once or twice, if there's no reply then I'll send a text.

If I were your friend, I don't think I'd ever call you though seeing as you've stated that you never answer the phone anyway :lol:
I've been guilty of just watching my phone ring if I'm in a bad mood/in bed/busy, but I'll phone or text the person back as soon as I'm ready. I agree that you shouldn't be surgically attached for your phone waiting to pick up a call, but people are probably calling you for a reason.
I don't answer unknown or private numbers, but to ignore a friend's call, without good reason, is rude and self-righteous. They're your friends, don't take them for granted.
Original post by snowyowl
...or maybe it's an emergency?

Then call 999. If I can think of a genuine emergency then I'll answer, such as my dad who is chronically ill but it's way more likely to be some idiot who wants to borrow money. But that rule is a relic, it was way more useful for me in my teenage years than it is now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't like talking on the phone either I prefer texting but when my friends call me I pick or if I missed it I'd call them back. If I call someone it's usually because I need something to be honest :smile:
Reply 16
I just equate watching the phone ring and not answering it with if one of your friends walked up to you in the street calling your name repeatedly, but you just turned the other way and pretended you didn't hear them. I agree that if I'm busy or in a bad mood then I won't answer the phone, but if I'm not doing very much and my friend starts calling me, I'll answer.

Usually if my friends want to say something general to me, they'll message me on Facebook, and I'll usually reply within a few hours. So if they call me, it's often because they want to talk to me about something more instant - whether that's an emergency, or whether that's asking if I want to meet up with them in three hours. So to me it generally makes sense to answer.
Original post by Jebedee
Then call 999. If I can think of a genuine emergency then I'll answer, such as my dad who is chronically ill but it's way more likely to be some idiot who wants to borrow money. But that rule is a relic, it was way more useful for me in my teenage years than it is now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if they've just lost a family member and you're the one they want to turn to for support?
I'd just lose your number tbh
I appreciate people answering my calls, therefore I make an effort to answer or return theirs.

It's polite.

Quick Reply

Latest