The Student Room Group

I am curious as to what to revise Biology

Doing my ISA for AQA As level biology tomorrow not sure what to revise any ideas?
Reply 1
Original post by james oliver
Doing my ISA for AQA As level biology tomorrow not sure what to revise any ideas?

revise: water movement through plants and potometry (this one's important)

the experiments are straightforward and easy
make sure you use the correct units
Reply 2
Original post by sdmd
revise: water movement through plants and potometry (this one's important)

the experiments are straightforward and easy
make sure you use the correct units

What kind of question is asked on Potometry
Reply 3
actually as you're doing an ISA it might be different... mine was an EMPA and that's what we had to revise
Reply 4
Original post by james oliver
What kind of question is asked on Potometry

you just needed to know the method of using potometry...
Reply 5
Correct me if im wrong but an ISA is internally marked and an EMPA is externally marked???

Got my A2 EMPA in may :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by NathanDYEL
Correct me if im wrong but an ISA is internally marked and an EMPA is externally marked???

Got my A2 EMPA in may :smile:

yeah that's right so the things coming up on an ISA might be different from an EMPA.

i'll be doing my A2 EMPA practical on the first week back after easter holidays :frown: all i've been told is that it's about the movement of maggots in different light intensities or in light and dark...
Reply 7
Original post by sdmd
yeah that's right so the things coming up on an ISA might be different from an EMPA.

i'll be doing my A2 EMPA practical on the first week back after easter holidays :frown: all i've been told is that it's about the movement of maggots in different light intensities or in light and dark...

Mines second week back after, according to our teacher they're not allowed to give us the description till a week before...... But surely i must be doing maggots aswell then.

Also when is your EMPA write-up? I know some schools are earlier than others.
Reply 8
Original post by NathanDYEL
Mines second week back after, according to our teacher they're not allowed to give us the description till a week before...... But surely i must be doing maggots aswell then.

Also when is your EMPA write-up? I know some schools are earlier than others.

yeah you'll be doing maggots too. it's about kinesis/taxes i guess

my written exam is on may 7th as well and i was given the topics to revise for it today: Nutrient Cycles, Investigating Populations and Survival and Response. all the written exams are on the same days it's just the practicals that different schools have on different days
Reply 9
I'm doing the EMPA but my written is on the 8th
Reply 10
Original post by Hlrk
I'm doing the EMPA but my written is on the 8th

are you sure it's on the 8th? i thought all the written exams were on the same days for everyone.
Reply 11
Positive. Practical 29th and Written 8th. Is yours on maggots?
Reply 12
Original post by sdmd
yeah you'll be doing maggots too. it's about kinesis/taxes i guess

my written exam is on may 7th as well and i was given the topics to revise for it today: Nutrient Cycles, Investigating Populations and Survival and Response. all the written exams are on the same days it's just the practicals that different schools have on different days

The exams CAN be on different days! My task three A2 EMPA is not until the 12th of May!
http://themightymitochondria.tumblr.com/ - this is quite a useful revision resource for taxis/kinesis etc.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 13
Hey guys, how is everyone going about revising for the A2 AQA EMPA? I looked over the topics and practised questions, btw, when is everyone doing task 3?
Reply 14
Original post by Hurairaa
Hey guys, how is everyone going about revising for the A2 AQA EMPA? I looked over the topics and practised questions, btw, when is everyone doing task 3?

Still not yet done the practical task 1 and 2 never mind task 3. Defianately beginning to panic.
Reply 15
oh wow,don't worry about it, i'm sure theirs quite a few people in the same situation as you!
Are you doing all the tasks together I've heard some do it that way. What dates have you got planned for the tasks?
Original post by becky900
Still not yet done the practical task 1 and 2 never mind task 3. Defianately beginning to panic.
Reply 16
Original post by Hurairaa
oh wow,don't worry about it, i'm sure theirs quite a few people in the same situation as you!
Are you doing all the tasks together I've heard some do it that way. What dates have you got planned for the tasks?

Still no dates as yet. Have you done task 1 and 2 yet?
What came up in the aqa biology Empa in the written test??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Sat both (AS)physics and chemistry (AS)EMPAs willingly to give some advice on both e.g. exam techniques, how to approach it in a general way nothing related to their actual content

Would in return like them same for (AS) biology empa written exam(task 3) which I sit on Wednesday thanks
Reply 19
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest