The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lantan
I see the irony too.
Though for me the realization that I don't know anything about education in the UK came quite quickly as I was schooled in a completely different way in a different country. So I didn't have any preconceptions and was a bit like a blank paper - maybe this made things a bit easier...

I have to say with all the misery and feeling a lab-rat during this training year, I do have spells of sunshine - days when I think that I quite enjoy teaching. Just wishing there were more of them!!! :biggrin:

They will come, if you are cut out for the long haul. The longer you do it, the more there are.
Original post by kpwxx
Just a positive note. I absolutely agree with the regrets posted here about the way things are going policy wise; there are many problems in education and it is a tough job (made even tougher by the fact that a lot of people seem to think it's easy), without negating the hard work people in many other professions do. And I am way too early in my career (NQT) to say how it will affect my future, or to make comparisons with the past (a lot of my colleagues find the current conditions much worse because they can look back and see how much better it used to be).

But.... I had a wonderful time on my PGCE last year. Yes, there were several days throughout the year where I cried and thought 'What if I can't do this?!' and many many more where I felt exhausted and like I just didn't have time to do what I needed to. But I never considered quitting and I always felt like this was what I wanted to do. I did still see my friends every now and then, I did still have time to watch some TV and play some games (and come on TSR!). It is very very hard work but I still enjoyed it and managed it. And this year as an NQT I have become even better at managing my time (because really, that's what it's all about... managing your time and prioritising things, giving yourself a break sometimes even when things need doing) and have an even better balance. I guess what I am trying to say is, I still wouldn't say it's the norm to have horrific experiences and not want to go back in to school. Most of my peers at this point on the course were dying to get back in to school when on uni days and really were loving the teaching, even though they were all just as exhausted and stretched. I certainly didn't feel the despair expressed by some in this thread. So chances are, you will have a tough but positive experience.

Plus at least you have the element of having chosen your school (I think?) so hopefully chosen one that matches your ethos as a teacher more. A big part of people not enjoying their placements is often that they just don't gel with the school at all, and that is much less likely if you chose the school yourself.

Good luck!

xxx

Thanks for your post. It is quite depressing reading posts where people are literally dreading their return to the classroom so it's nice to hear that not everyone feels the same way! I guess I just have to wait until September now and see how I get on!
The feeling of dread comes from feeling unprepared and scrutinised IMO. I also feel very much a sense of teachers vs trainees sometimes. I guess that's only natural, they're there for the long haul, we're there a few months.

This weekend I've worked about 7 hours overall and still have about half my lessons to plan for this coming week amongst many other bits of work to be done for this week for Uni.

I had an awful few days last week - Thursday was the first time I've taught 4 out of 5 lessons on this course, I taught double year ten for the first time and though behaviour isn't an issue I get a sense that they don't like me yet, there's no real relationship there and I also feel like that with the year 9 class I've been teaching since I started the placement. The regular teacher of that class picked apart my lesson last week for 40 minutes of my lunch hour. She's the first teacher to be this brutal with me so far (I've read this is quite common for trainees but I guess I've been lucky until now!. Look, I don't mind someone telling me what went wrong with my lesson, I know it wasn't very good, but to literally go through it step by step with only negative comments in the lunch hour for 40 minutes was too much. Most of the criticism was fair enough (though I was acting on her previous advice) except for one comment which made me feel quite angry and deflated - that apparently I 'stutter sometimes and it's a sign of nervousness. You can get away with that here in a nice school but in a tough class you'll be ridiculed and eaten alive by the pupils'. Those were her exact words. No other teacher on my course has ever mentioned this so I was a bit taken aback. I guess I did stutter maybe twice in the lesson as I lost my train of thought but I'm only human!

Anyway I took her advice on board, taught the class the next day and she did say it was much improved so that was quite nice.

I just want to get past this week - tutor coming in on Tuesday to observe me last lesson, third review to be completed and 12 lessons to teach. Week after I'm only in school Tuesday and Wednesday because of bank holiday Monday and two days at Uni Thursday and Friday :biggrin:
Original post by kpwxx
'
Plus at least you have the element of having chosen your school (I think?) so hopefully chosen one that matches your ethos as a teacher more. A big part of people not enjoying their placements is often that they just don't gel with the school at all, and that is much less likely if you chose the school yourself.

Good luck!

xxx

This is the reason I'm not enjoying it. I'm on a schools direct course but I made the wrong choice when choosing my school. When I went to my second placement I absolutely loved it and looked forward to going into school. I have a job there now so hopefully I will continue to enjoy it!

Original post by bellylaugh
Thanks for your post. It is quite depressing reading posts where people are literally dreading their return to the classroom so it's nice to hear that not everyone feels the same way! I guess I just have to wait until September now and see how I get on!

See above. It isn't all bad :smile: my main gripe with it is that people are always wanting to see what you've done or see you in action and then comment on it. I was heavily criticised in my first assessed block, when beginning to teach, and it really affects my confidence and how i view observations and feedback. I've tried my best to get out of this mindset and be more positive but sometimes can't help slipping back into it.
Reply 3304
Original post by Shelly_x
This is the reason I'm not enjoying it. I'm on a schools direct course but I made the wrong choice when choosing my school. When I went to my second placement I absolutely loved it and looked forward to going into school. I have a job there now so hopefully I will continue to enjoy it!

Welcome to the club. :frown:
My mentor at the school flattened me to the ground so many times now that it was just ridiculous - even though I am used to a lot of criticism and negativity, that was really hard to cope with.
I too felt so much better at my second placement that it became apparent I made a mistake with my choice of School Direct school.
We'll get through this.
Reply 3305
Original post by Steveluis10
The feeling of dread comes from feeling unprepared and scrutinised IMO. I also feel very much a sense of teachers vs trainees sometimes. I guess that's only natural, they're there for the long haul, we're there a few months.

I guess I did stutter maybe twice in the lesson as I lost my train of thought but I'm only human!

I was lucky last year and had very supportive staff teams at both my schools. They were lovely and really helped me through.

The stuttering thing sounds ridiculous. I wouldn't worry about it certainly as if it hadn't seemed an issue to you it probably isn't one! Regardless, if it was a speech issue that a student had saying something like that is certainly not the right way to deal with it... people don't just 'turn off' stutters and handling it in such a manner could easily make it worse were it a real issue. I would have hoped a teacher would know that...?

Anyway, I'm glad you felt you got something out of the criticism in the most part.

Original post by lantan

I always found and still find the criticism tough. It's weird as almost all the time I've already noticed the issues and picked out areas for improvement that my mentor etc had picked out. So I completely agree with all the suggestions, and my mentors as I said were very supportive so always did it in a very positive supportive way. Yet I was still close to (or actually in) tears a couple of times; I think it's purely human nature. Even when you know it's correct it's very hard to hear someone say something you did was not good, and even more so in this context where you've poured your heart and soul (and probably hours of time and effort in to planning) in to it. Your natural instinct is to get upset and have your confidence knocked. I found the way to deal with it which worked for me was rationalising it like this... reminding myself that I really didn't need to be upset because I agreed and that wouldn't help, I just needed to use it to improve my teaching and get over it basically. And remember that so much of the learning comes just from the experience anyway... trust me when you look back in a years time you will be amazed at how far you have come as a teacher, just think what it will be like in 20 years!!!

xxxxx
Reply 3306
Original post by kpwxx

I always found and still find the criticism tough. It's weird as almost all the time I've already noticed the issues and picked out areas for improvement that my mentor etc had picked out. So I completely agree with all the suggestions, and my mentors as I said were very supportive so always did it in a very positive supportive way. Yet I was still close to (or actually in) tears a couple of times; I think it's purely human nature. Even when you know it's correct it's very hard to hear someone say something you did was not good, and even more so in this context where you've poured your heart and soul (and probably hours of time and effort in to planning) in to it. Your natural instinct is to get upset and have your confidence knocked. I found the way to deal with it which worked for me was rationalising it like this... reminding myself that I really didn't need to be upset because I agreed and that wouldn't help, I just needed to use it to improve my teaching and get over it basically. And remember that so much of the learning comes just from the experience anyway... trust me when you look back in a years time you will be amazed at how far you have come as a teacher, just think what it will be like in 20 years!!!

xxxxx

I agree with everything you said, just a couple of thoughts: for everything we say, it's so important HOW we say things, instead of WHAT we say, and I found this even more true for the criticisms - i.e you can say the same thing and knock the person's confidence over, or give them a confidence boost.
It's funny how we are told as trainees that in teaching we shouldn't give pupils 50 things to think about in our feedback as they wouldn't be able to concentrate on so many, yet I found this the case so many times when the feedback is given to the trainees (not just me). And of course, all too often the feedback is negatively orientated, as if only the failings are worth spending more time on; the successes are usually brushed aside. Now, I am perfectly aware that, unfortunately, this is the case in "real" teachers' school lives, but I think during the training year one is truly vulnerable with the lack of experience, confidence, etc., to forget the upsetting things and move on, as the experienced teacher would most likely do.:s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lantan
I agree with everything you said, just a couple of thoughts: for everything we say, it's so important HOW we say things, instead of WHAT we say, and I found this even more true for the criticisms - i.e you can say the same thing and knock the person's confidence over, or give them a confidence boost.
It's funny how we are told as trainees that in teaching we shouldn't give pupils 50 things to think about in our feedback as they wouldn't be able to concentrate on so many, yet I found this the case so many times when the feedback is given to the trainees (not just me). And of course, all to often the feedback is negatively orientated, as if only the failings are worth spending more time on; the successes are usually brushed aside. Now, I am perfectly aware that the, unfortunately, this is the case in "real" teachers' school lives, but I think during the training year one is truly vulnerable with the lack of experience, confidence, etc., to forget the upsetting things and move on, as the experienced teacher would most likely do.:s-smilie:

Wow, you just summed up my own feelings from my training year so eloquently. Thinking back to that year still hurts even though it was 5 years ago.
Eek, had an interview today and just waiting for the phone call... My lesson was brilliant but interview was iffy. Fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let us know how it goes! If your lesson was brilliant they'd be foolish not to hire you IMO.

Utterly horrendous day for me for reasons I won't go into.

Planned to do work tonight but got a thumping headache so going to order pizza and watch football instead.
Original post by Steveluis10
Let us know how it goes! If your lesson was brilliant they'd be foolish not to hire you IMO.

Utterly horrendous day for me for reasons I won't go into.

Planned to do work tonight but got a thumping headache so going to order pizza and watch football instead.

Lol I also have a banging head ache, can't do any work. Just going to stay in bed and watch TV.

We all have them awful days, put it over you and on to the next. However I know how difficult it's is to pick yourself up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They chose the guy with the better interview over me. Gutted isn't even the word

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
They chose the guy with the better interview over me. Gutted isn't even the word

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww don't worry, don't let it bug you. You made it to the interview stage and were shortlisted. It happens, head up - I'm sure you will get a job.

BTW just some advice and a thing I have noted - visiting a school before applying helps and puts you in good stead, I know of a few people who have jobs and all who visited the school before hand.

That said I am in need of my own advice - I need to apply - just don't have the will power or energy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013
Aww don't worry, don't let it bug you. You made it to the interview stage and were shortlisted. It happens, head up - I'm sure you will get a job.

BTW just some advice and a thing I have noted - visiting a school before applying helps and puts you in good stead, I know of a few people who have jobs and all who visited the school before hand.

That said I am in need of my own advice - I need to apply - just don't have the will power or energy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It must help but being on placement it's difficult to have the chance to visit.

I've lost the will to apply. Wrote so many over Easter and not got one reply - losing my motivation. But I'm gonna grind it out somehow. I have to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't put yourself down. Count it as experience and you'll better for the next.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear this :frown:

If it makes you feel any better, I had about 10 interviews before I got a job!
You were shortlisted and made it to the end of the process (at some interviews they send people home halfway through!) so don't feel too bad. Ask for feedback from them and try to improve on the points they say.
One tips I found worked for me was to, at the end of the interview, say a few sentences about why you really want to work at the school and how you feel you'll fit in based on the day etc. It ends on a really positive note and shows passion for the job!
Sorry to hear this :frown:

If it makes you feel any better, I had about 10 interviews before I got a job!
You were shortlisted and made it to the end of the process (at some interviews they send people home halfway through!) so don't feel too bad. Ask for feedback from them and try to improve on the points they say.
One tips I found worked for me was to, at the end of the interview, say a few sentences about why you really want to work at the school and how you feel you'll fit in based on the day etc. It ends on a really positive note and shows passion for the job!

To be honest, now I think about it my interview was just a total disaster. Which is such a shame because they said they were really impressed by my lesson :frown:

They did shortlist at lunch, 3 people went home and I got to stay. I am glad I've had the experience, I just think I was a bit overwhelmed because it was my old secondary school and I really felt at home there. The lesson that I did was one of the best I've done, not just in interviews.

I'm feeling a bit better now, I guess I just feel like I've missed an opportunity. I've sent another application to another school anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Found out tonight that my contract isn't being renewed :frown: :frown:
To be honest, now I think about it my interview was just a total disaster. Which is such a shame because they said they were really impressed by my lesson :frown:

They did shortlist at lunch, 3 people went home and I got to stay. I am glad I've had the experience, I just think I was a bit overwhelmed because it was my old secondary school and I really felt at home there. The lesson that I did was one of the best I've done, not just in interviews.

I'm feeling a bit better now, I guess I just feel like I've missed an opportunity. I've sent another application to another school anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Piggsil
Wow, you just summed up my own feelings from my training year so eloquently. Thinking back to that year still hurts even though it was 5 years ago.

I'm really sorry to hear that.
I think I'll probably have similar feelings later on, though I can still say there were a lot of moments I enjoyed - certainly communication with the children. I also feel myself loosening up a little now in class (especially when I am not observed) so that the students see that I am actually a human being and not a teaching robot; it's a nice feeling, actually. Though at the same time I also have classes where I feel I can't let go of the reigns as they would take over, which is really not a nice feeling. Ah well, I'll become better at this, hopefully.
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending