The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You'll know on the task. If its a powder you got to convert it to a solution watch on utube.
Also the table
how do u read a inital burette reading and what is meant by titre?
Reply 2
You'll know on the task. If its a powder you got to convert it to a solution watch on utube.
Also the table
how do u read a inital burette reading and what is meant by titre?
Reply 3
Initial reading is the number on the burette before you start the titration. The final reading is the number after you finished the titration. The titre is the actual volume you needed to neutralise, which is the difference between the initial reading and final reading.
So if your initial reading was 0 (filled to top of burette), and the final reading is 24, then the titre is 24.
Reply 4
Original post by prophetkid
Initial reading is the number on the burette before you start the titration. The final reading is the number after you finished the titration. The titre is the actual volume you needed to neutralise, which is the difference between the initial reading and final reading.
So if your initial reading was 0 (filled to top of burette), and the final reading is 24, then the titre is 24.

how was the practical and what did it consist of?
Reply 5
Original post by whizzy1
how was the practical and what did it consist of?

Turns out I have it tomorrow, my teacher hinted that it was a standard solution which you titrate, then a series of basic test tube tests for anions.
Reply 6
Original post by whizzy1
im aware of it being an investigation of an iron compound by means of titration with potassium manganate (VII) in acidic conditions
and then some sort of metal salt solution exercises

when is you written paper?

It's next week on Thursday, 8th May.
Reply 7
It's next week on Thursday, 8th May.

so your practicals tomorrow and your written papers on the 8th?
why are they so far apart and are you 100% sure?
Original post by whizzy1
so your practicals tomorrow and your written papers on the 8th?
why are they so far apart and are you 100% sure?

My practical was on the 14th of April and my written paper is on the sixth. are they supposed to be this far apart?
Reply 9
Original post by darkdrifter10
My practical was on the 14th of April and my written paper is on the sixth. are they supposed to be this far apart?

they vary from school to school i think, like mine's the total opposite. Both the practical and written are a day apart on the 8th and 9th
Original post by whizzy1
they vary from school to school i think, like mine's the total opposite. Both the practical and written are a day apart on the 8th and 9th

I think it's to allow time to revise, and to fit in with timetables. My biology practical was three weeks ago, and I don't have the written until this Friday.
Hi, my empa written test is on the 6th. what sorts of questions do you thing theyll ask and what calculations should we expect to get.

I reckon they'll ask to work out moles etc, and maybe ask for the moles in a different volume of acid than what you used. They might give a different reaction and you're asked to work out moles/concentration etc. With the test tube tests, they'll probably ask you to identify the substance, and ask about what caused your results to turn a certain colour.
I reckon they'll ask to work out moles etc, and maybe ask for the moles in a different volume of acid than what you used. They might give a different reaction and you're asked to work out moles/concentration etc. With the test tube tests, they'll probably ask you to identify the substance, and ask about what caused your results to turn a certain colour.

will the empa just be about content covered in group 2 and 7, or will it include other topics like alkenes etc
will the empa just be about content covered in group 2 and 7, or will it include other topics like alkenes etc

You should have been given a list of topics to revise for it which AQA set, all those topics should come up.
I think they are
-group 2
-group 7
-amount of substance
-alcohols
-alkenes
-energetics
You should have been given a list of topics to revise for it which AQA set, all those topics should come up.
I think they are
-group 2
-group 7
-amount of substance
-alcohols
-alkenes
-energetics

Thanks a lot, my teachers are useless, they havent told me anything regarding the empa
Reply 15
Is this thread for A2 or AS?
Original post by noddy95
Is this thread for A2 or AS?

AS
Turns out I have it tomorrow, my teacher hinted that it was a standard solution which you titrate, then a series of basic test tube tests for anions.

I've got my practical tomorrow morning as well haha

how did it go?
does anyone know if we get our papers back from the actual practical to use in the written bit? because I've made a mistake and I've just realised :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending