The Student Room Group

OCR AS psychology

I'm starting revision for the exams in may; the investigations one and the core studies. Anybody got any revision tips or need any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We really need an official thread, i've seen a few just dotted around...
I'm currently in the same position as you. I'm pretty damn scared for the Core Studies exam. It's all i've looked at these last few days :s

Original post by Cpie21
I'm starting revision for the exams in may; the investigations one and the core studies. Anybody got any revision tips or need any help?
Reply 2
I know what you mean! Which core study do you think is your worst? Mine has to be Reicher and Haslam /:
And how are you revising?
Hello
I have to agree with you that Reicher and Haslam is probably one of the worst core studies to remember, so I'm hoping it doesn't come up in section B. I think a good way to revise is to practice past paper questions, particularly for section A as there is only so much they can ask you on each study. That way, if you find something that you're unfamiliar with when you practice, just look up the answer and try and remember it for next time. It's also a good way to find out what aspects of a study you're struggling to remember.

For section B, again just practice past paper questions, using a textbook or notes to help you. Section B can be quite varied, but looking at some past papers here are the main things I'd focus on:

Sample AND an advantage or disadvantage of that sample (often worth 6 marks)

How a data collection technique was used in the study (in my mock I was asked about how self report was used, but I also saw a horrible question on observation) Possibly worth 6-8 marks

An advantage and disadvantage of that data collection method (6 marks)

Why a study is considered a certain research method (so a lab experiment, field experiment etc)

Advantage/disadvantage of that research method

Ethics

Suggest how your chosen study could be improved (8 marks)

Outline the implications of these improvements (8 marks) (Often these two come together, so it's really important that you're sure of improvements and implications you can list, or you're losing 16 marks! It's also really important to link to the original study, if you don't you can only get a maximum of 3/8)

Outline the results (6-8 marks)

This list could go on, but I won't continue

Section C, the questions are predictable because they are always the same so it's just a case of rewriting and learning answers to these questions.

Hope that this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Claros
Hello
I have to agree with you that Reicher and Haslam is probably one of the worst core studies to remember, so I'm hoping it doesn't come up in section B. I think a good way to revise is to practice past paper questions, particularly for section A as there is only so much they can ask you on each study. That way, if you find something that you're unfamiliar with when you practice, just look up the answer and try and remember it for next time. It's also a good way to find out what aspects of a study you're struggling to remember.

For section B, again just practice past paper questions, using a textbook or notes to help you. Section B can be quite varied, but looking at some past papers here are the main things I'd focus on:

Sample AND an advantage or disadvantage of that sample (often worth 6 marks)

How a data collection technique was used in the study (in my mock I was asked about how self report was used, but I also saw a horrible question on observation) Possibly worth 6-8 marks

An advantage and disadvantage of that data collection method (6 marks)

Why a study is considered a certain research method (so a lab experiment, field experiment etc)

Advantage/disadvantage of that research method

Ethics

Suggest how your chosen study could be improved (8 marks)

Outline the implications of these improvements (8 marks) (Often these two come together, so it's really important that you're sure of improvements and implications you can list, or you're losing 16 marks! It's also really important to link to the original study, if you don't you can only get a maximum of 3/8)

Outline the results (6-8 marks)

This list could go on, but I won't continue

Section C, the questions are predictable because they are always the same so it's just a case of rewriting and learning answers to these questions.

Hope that this helps :smile:

Thanks so much! I'm doing past papers and condensing each study so hopefully it works!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Cpie21
I know what you mean! Which core study do you think is your worst? Mine has to be Reicher and Haslam /:
And how are you revising?

Everyone I speak to doesn't like R&H. I find it interesting so I don't mind it at all, my least favourite one as Savage Rambaugh and Freud.

So far... I'm made posters for 9 studies and Sec C for 5 approaches. Once i've done all the posters i'm just going to do past papers. how about you? I also have a two hour mock tomorrow :'(
Reply 6
Original post by SophF_rth
Everyone I speak to doesn't like R&H. I find it interesting so I don't mind it at all, my least favourite one as Savage Rambaugh and Freud.

So far... I'm made posters for 9 studies and Sec C for 5 approaches. Once i've done all the posters i'm just going to do past papers. how about you? I also have a two hour mock tomorrow :'(

That's pretty good! I don't really have a problem remembering the core studies so I'm going to focus more on the investigations side.. I am making posters for each of the approaches though. Try Holah for each of the studies and approaches and it also has exam questions to do (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Cpie21
That's pretty good! I don't really have a problem remembering the core studies so I'm going to focus more on the investigations side.. I am making posters for each of the approaches though. Try Holah for each of the studies and approaches and it also has exam questions to do (:

Oh that's good, esp since its 70/30. I've just not bothered with ID because it was in the last exam. Yeah, Holah is pretty good, my text book is really crap tbh, what about yours?
Also any predictions on the exam, studies & approaches? :smile:
Reply 8
Oh that's good, esp since its 70/30. I've just not bothered with ID because it was in the last exam. Yeah, Holah is pretty good, my text book is really crap tbh, what about yours?
Also any predictions on the exam, studies & approaches? :smile:

I have no predictions at all haha /: but I'm thinking the less common studies are likely to come up as they can't always have the commons ones.. That's not much help I know sorry ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I did this exam last year and let me tell you, learn the studies inside out. They can ask some of the most ridiculous things. Section A questions will only ever b 4 marks so don't worry if you can't answer all of the to the best of your ability. Section B and C are worth a lot more, so really get used to your structure, and ALWAYS know the changes you would make to each study. Even though core studies seems horrific, in the exam you tend to roll with it and all the stuff you have revised comes in handy.

For investigations, you have the tendency to think "it's only worth 30% so it doesn't really matter", however a countless number of people did that last year and even though their core studies mark was great, investigations pulled them down. The key with investigations is to constantly refer back to the question. People often write "a benefit of the experimental method is that it is high in reliability, due to controlled conditions and the ability to establish cause & effect relationships". That would be great, but make sure that you follow it up with an example, using the scenario that was used in the question.

Hope this helps you guys :smile:
Original post by ttreb
I did this exam last year and let me tell you, learn the studies inside out. They can ask some of the most ridiculous things. Section A questions will only ever b 4 marks so don't worry if you can't answer all of the to the best of your ability. Section B and C are worth a lot more, so really get used to your structure, and ALWAYS know the changes you would make to each study. Even though core studies seems horrific, in the exam you tend to roll with it and all the stuff you have revised comes in handy.

For investigations, you have the tendency to think "it's only worth 30% so it doesn't really matter", however a countless number of people did that last year and even though their core studies mark was great, investigations pulled them down. The key with investigations is to constantly refer back to the question. People often write "a benefit of the experimental method is that it is high in reliability, due to controlled conditions and the ability to establish cause & effect relationships". That would be great, but make sure that you follow it up with an example, using the scenario that was used in the question.

Thanks again :tongue:
Reply 11
Thanks again :tongue:

Happy to help :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by ttreb

I agree the investigations ones has to be very context specific..
Thank you!
Reply 13
Original post by Cpie21
I agree the investigations ones has to be very context specific..
Thank you!

Definitely. Last year we had a question along the lines of "a psychologist is sitting on a bench observing behaviour..."

and the answer would only receive a mark if the word "bench" was found in it. Annoying, but can bump your marks up :smile:
Another here who hates Reicher and Haslam. My favourites are probably Dement and Kleitman, Rosenhan and Maguire. The investigations exam on the 13th should be pretty straightforward, but I'm not as relaxed about the core studies one. We've hardly done any work on Section C at all, and I'm worried about knowing each study in enough detail. I'm planning to break each one down into the following though:

Sample
Method
Procedure
Strengths/Weaknesses
Changes

Fingers crossed.
Reply 15
Can someone tell me what they are predicting will come up in section B? My teacher said Samuel and Bryant, Milgram, Dement & K are likely to come up. She also said it's likely that psychodanamic and developmental will come up for section C? What is your predictions? :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by sawenexo
Can someone tell me what they are predicting will come up in section B? My teacher said Samuel and Bryant, Milgram, Dement & K are likely to come up. She also said it's likely that psychodanamic and developmental will come up for section C? What is your predictions? :smile:

I agree.. I have a feeling the ones that are likely to come up are S&B, D&K, Maguire or maybe Reicher and Haslam. As for section C its probably gonna be developmental and maybe physiological as these are less common.
Reply 17
Can someone tell me if section A questions asks for background of the study? Because I've been looking at past papers and none of them have said explain the background of _________ ? etc ... and btw does anyone know what is likely to come up for investigations? I know investigations is pretty easy compared to core studies but I'm wondering if anyone has any predictions??
Reply 18
Original post by sawenexo
Can someone tell me if section A questions asks for background of the study? Because I've been looking at past papers and none of them have said explain the background of _________ ? etc ... and btw does anyone know what is likely to come up for investigations? I know investigations is pretty easy compared to core studies but I'm wondering if anyone has any predictions??

Nope they won't ask you for the background but they can ask what was the stimulus. And investigations I'm not sure so revise everything to be on the safe side!
Reply 19
Original post by Cpie21
Nope they won't ask you for the background but they can ask what was the stimulus. And investigations I'm not sure so revise everything to be on the safe side!

What do you mean by stimulus? Can you give me an example please? ^.^:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending