The Student Room Group

Was rejected from University Of Arts London. Should I call them?

I applied for two undergraduate courses (Journalism and Film & Television Production) at the University Of Arts London. I fortunately got an interview for the Journalism course, however I was rejected for the other course for unknown reasons.

I assumed that I didn't get an interview for the Film & TV course because my grades weren't good enough (I achieved an MP during my first year of BTEC Level 3 Creative Media Production and I also achieved 5 GCSE grades in English Language, English Literature Sociology, Art, and Religious Studies). I also volunteered at a production company in East London and produced a short film in conjunction with Vivid Echo and the BFI.

The weird thing is two people in my class who achieved lower grades than me during the first year of our BTEC course got an interview from the uni. I was wondering if I should call the uni to ask why they rejected my application. Is that a good idea?

I also want to know if it is likely for them to schedule an interview or is it too late now.
(edited 10 years ago)
There is no harm in asking for feedback on why you were rejected but I think that you just sort of have to accept the rejection, there isn't any point asking for an interview if they have already made their decision.

I've also had a rejection and its quite disheartening but they do have their reasons for it, if they didn't have a reason you would have been given an offer.

Was the university your first choice?
Reply 2
When they rejected me I called them and they gave me some constructive feedback. It was a little vague, but I guess it made it clearer why I was rejected. There is nothing wrong with calling them up. I say, go for it.
Knowing why you were rejected may help in future applications, who knows.

However I think it's very unlikely for them to schedule to interview you. Once they have rejected you, that's it. They won't be considering you anymore.
Reply 3
Call them,
I got a rejection from Bath and called them demanding an explanation why,
They told me it was a mistake and they're glad I called because they actually wanted to give me an offer.
Reply 4
Original post by Kwaku_96
I applied for two undergraduate courses (Journalism and Film & Television Production) at the University Of Arts London. I fortunately got an interview for the Journalism course, however I was rejected for the other course for unknown reasons.

I assumed that I didn't get an interview for the Film & TV course because my grades weren't good enough (I achieved an MP during my first year of BTEC Level 3 Creative Media Production and I also achieved 5 GCSE grades in English Language, English Literature Sociology, Art, and Religious Studies). I also volunteered at a production company in East London and produced a short film in conjunction with Vivid Echo and the BFI.

The weird thing is two people in my class who achieved lower grades than me during the first year of our BTEC course got an interview from the uni. I was wondering if I should call the uni to ask why they rejected my application. Is that a good idea?

I also want to know if it is likely for them to schedule an interview or is it too late now.

It could be because Journalism and Film and TV productive are two different courses and they felt your personal statement was more orientated towards Journalism. No harm in asking for feedback but its unlikely they will reconsider.
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
It could be because Journalism and Film and TV productive are two different courses and they felt your personal statement was more orientated towards Journalism. No harm in asking for feedback but its unlikely they will reconsider.

I actually think this could be the case. I included the fact I was studying Film & TV at college and I liked directing/editing, however I wrote a lot about my writing achievements. I'm going to call them again, however do you think they still do interviews at this point?
I actually think this could be the case. I included the fact I was studying Film & TV at college and I liked directing/editing, however I wrote a lot about my writing achievements. I'm going to call them again, however do you think they still do interviews at this point?

I'm afraid most places won't reconsider decisions though its definitley worth calling for feedback as they might have had other reasons for rejecting your application.
(edited 9 years ago)

It doesn't matter whether they are still doing interviews or not, the point is that they didn't make an offer to you, and hard as it is to take rejection, this is unlikely to change.
Reply 8
maybe your personal statement didn't really sell you as a person.
with any creative course grades are secondary, and if your personal statement is just you listing off things you've done in sequence then they aren't going to choose you over someone who writes about themselves in a more engaging way.
Reply 9
Original post by NicEvans
maybe your personal statement didn't really sell you as a person.
with any creative course grades are secondary, and if your personal statement is just you listing off things you've done in sequence then they aren't going to choose you over someone who writes about themselves in a more engaging way.

LOL. That's exactly what I did.

I wish my college tutor had told me in November when we were completing our personal statements. Any advice on what to include in a creative course statement (future)?
LOL. That's exactly what I did.

I wish my college tutor had told me in November when we were completing our personal statements. Any advice on what to include in a creative course statement (future)?

I think it's implied that your personal statement should be about you.really your tutor can only give you tips, it's up to you to put in the effort.

Quick Reply

Latest