Scroll to see replies

Lush thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Original post by WorldPharmacist
The deadline for applying is 8th of august I think so they'll start allocating halls to ppl after then apparently :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you applied for halls yet ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ADAOBI123
Have you applied for halls yet ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WorldPharmacist
The deadline for applying is 8th of august I think so they'll start allocating halls to ppl after then apparently :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

WorldPharmacist is right :smile:
After the deadline the allocation process takes place ... after that you will hear directly from the accommodation team.

Best Wishes
Viv
Original post by lauren_mac
Hey! I'm in my second year studying Photography at Brighton. I'd say Photography at Brighton is a Fine Art course. In first year there are 5/6 week projects, where there is a loose title such as "place", where there are no restrictions on the work you produce. It is completely down to how an individual responds to a given theme, which results in lots of different responses! There is a wide range of work produced, and working in different ways is encouraged; for example I've created two moving image piece's for two outcomes of the projects, others have used liquid light emulsion in the darkroom, some stick to producing purely photographs. There are crits every week, which are crucial to the works development, advice from tutors and your peers furthers your practice, and also you work out which tutors you work better with! There is also a more academic side to the course, as we have readings every week where we have to summarise the essay into 500 words, along with an essay each semester. I'm now coming to the end of my second year, and there is a trip to Poland coming up for the Krakow Photomonth which looks exciting; when I was in first year we went to Paris for Paris Photo which was a lot of fun. I think that they try and arrange something most years, I think first year is a great time to go on a trip because you end up speaking to people you haven't really met properly before. In terms of placements, in second year there is a chance to apply for a placement in Japan, which is quite competitive. Other than that unfortunately there isn't an erasmus style scheme set up, but they are hoping to see if something like this will be possible I think. Sorry that's quite a lengthy response - if you have any other questions you're more than welcome to fire away!

Thank you for the reply! I've confirmed my conditional offer there now so I hope i'll enjoy it. Any advise on accommodation? I'm going to apply to phoenix halls but heard it's quite competitive. Everything seemed to be quite far away though.
Original post by lcatriona
Thank you for the reply! I've confirmed my conditional offer there now so I hope i'll enjoy it. Any advise on accommodation? I'm going to apply to phoenix halls but heard it's quite competitive. Everything seemed to be quite far away though.

That's alright! Yeah I'm sure you'll love it, it took me a couple of weeks to get used to the timetable and different tutors but I'm sure you'll find your way! :smile: I was in phoenix halls, and yeah they are competitive! They are in a great location but if you don't get into those halls, I'd consider private accommodation and be on the hunt already. There are some lovely student houses in Brighton, have a look around before you decide straight away! The best place to get a house is probably in the phoenix halls area, Hanover. Sometimes the houses are advertised as being "close to brighton uni" but they mean the moulsecoomb campus (which isn't all that close to grand parade) so just double check. Good luck with getting into halls though! I had a great time. Feel free to ask me any other questions if need be!
Original post by Ellie_96
Does anyone know which halls are best for Fine Art students? I know Phoenix Brewery are closest but as you have to list other halls when applying for accomodation I'm not sure which ones are best/closest to Grande Parade?

Hi Ellie,

I know Viv has already replied but yep, Phoenix are the closest halls! I was in there for my first year and loved it. Moulsecoomb is a bit further out, more of a bus ride than a walk, and Varley is about 10 mins further down the road. There's falmer halls too - but I personally think these are too far away to be at Grand Parade... a lot of people I know didn't get into Phoenix halls and ended up finding a bunch of other art students to live with and they had a great time! Good luck!
Hi Ellie,

I know Viv has already replied but yep, Phoenix are the closest halls! I was in there for my first year and loved it. Moulsecoomb is a bit further out, more of a bus ride than a walk, and Varley is about 10 mins further down the road. There's falmer halls too - but I personally think these are too far away to be at Grand Parade... a lot of people I know didn't get into Phoenix halls and ended up finding a bunch of other art students to live with and they had a great time! Good luck!

Thanks for replying! I'm so nervous I won't get halls as I've just done my foundation year away from home and had to go into housing which I had very bad luck with as I didn't get on with a few of my housemates which made life hell for a year! Do you know if students with unconditional offers get priority?
Thanks for replying! I'm so nervous I won't get halls as I've just done my foundation year away from home and had to go into housing which I had very bad luck with as I didn't get on with a few of my housemates which made life hell for a year! Do you know if students with unconditional offers get priority?

Oh no! That's pretty bad luck... Hopefully it'll turn out to be better next year! I don't actually know how the allocating system works, I think it's random but it might be worth asking admissions! I have a severe allergy so they put me in phoenix in a room big enough for me to have a fridge, and keep all of my cutlery and plates etc. in (which was a bit annoying but worked out for the best!). There's a real mixture of people in phoenix, probably because they are the most popular ones! To be honest I didn't have all that much in common with most of my flatmates, although I am close friends with one. It's luck of the draw! If you don't get in then I'd consider meeting up with the people you're thinking of living with beforehand - there will be a fair few people looking for somewhere so I'd just get chatting to various people and hopefully you'll get a good group together.
That's alright! Yeah I'm sure you'll love it, it took me a couple of weeks to get used to the timetable and different tutors but I'm sure you'll find your way! :smile: I was in phoenix halls, and yeah they are competitive! They are in a great location but if you don't get into those halls, I'd consider private accommodation and be on the hunt already. There are some lovely student houses in Brighton, have a look around before you decide straight away! The best place to get a house is probably in the phoenix halls area, Hanover. Sometimes the houses are advertised as being "close to brighton uni" but they mean the moulsecoomb campus (which isn't all that close to grand parade) so just double check. Good luck with getting into halls though! I had a great time. Feel free to ask me any other questions if need be!

What are your thoughts on unihomes? Would I better off looking into privately rented accommodation? I'm worried that as I wont hear back about my place in halls until august, i'll only have a very short amount of time to search for a house. Also, the preference choices on the accommodation application system means that I have to list four choices ( I only want 1)

Thanks, you're great help!
What are your thoughts on unihomes? Would I better off looking into privately rented accommodation? I'm worried that as I wont hear back about my place in halls until august, i'll only have a very short amount of time to search for a house. Also, the preference choices on the accommodation application system means that I have to list four choices ( I only want 1)

Thanks, you're great help!

I am also worried about this as I only want to go to Phoenix halls but if we only hear back in august will have hardly any time to find private housing and people to house share :s
Original post by lila chemin
I am also worried about this as I only want to go to Phoenix halls but if we only hear back in august will have hardly any time to find private housing and people to house share :s

Yeah, Phoenix halls are the only halls that suit me really. I don't want to go strait for a house share though as i was quite looking forward to the experience of halls :/
Yeah, Phoenix halls are the only halls that suit me really. I don't want to go strait for a house share though as i was quite looking forward to the experience of halls :/

This is also my worry! I only want phoenix halls as I'll be at the Grande Parade campus but I also want to experience halls so don't want to only apply for houses straight away. Brighton has such a bad system in giving out halls as it's basically a lottery in who will be given halls. What if someone who is doing business which is at moulscombe campus (I think) is given phoenix halls and someone who does an art subject is given halls further away from grande parade campus- it is so unfair!
This is also my worry! I only want phoenix halls as I'll be at the Grande Parade campus but I also want to experience halls so don't want to only apply for houses straight away. Brighton has such a bad system in giving out halls as it's basically a lottery in who will be given halls. What if someone who is doing business which is at moulscombe campus (I think) is given phoenix halls and someone who does an art subject is given halls further away from grande parade campus- it is so unfair!

I definitely think students studying at grande parade campus should get priority for Phoenix halls. I'm not quite sure where to go from here :s-smilie:

Hi Ellie_96, Icatriona and Lilachemin

I'll try and share as much info as I can here to help you and anyone else who this is of interest to as well.

First thing - try (and I say try because I know it is really difficult not to) worry about this. You are certainly not alone and there are plenty of options and support out there to help you. And you're all being really pro active in thinking about this now which can give you a head start.

It is a fact that unfortunately, there aren't enough halls in Brighton to be able to offer a place to all first year students. Some first year students don't want halls of course but there are always some who do and either don't get a place or don't get their first choice. There are 1500 halls places, 300 unihomes rooms homestay rooms too - and of course there is lots of private rented accommodation.

How the allocation system works - When you apply for halls you get to put down your first and second choice etc. So everyone who puts Phoenix as their first choice gets put into a random order onto the list for e.g Phoenix (by a computer). This is the fairest way to give everyone the same chance. Names at the top of the list get allocated rooms first and it goes down the list until all the rooms are taken. If all the rooms are allocated and you are still on the list, you go on the list for your second choice.

Often, people make their first choice the halls that are closest to where they will be studying, but not always, so you can get a mix of people from different campuses at any halls.

If your preference is for Phoenix because you are based at Grand Parade you can of course apply for this and if you don't get it you may be offered a place elsewhere (which you can turn down if you want to). You might at that point, or as you have mentioned, sooner, look at private rented accommodation that is in your preferred area. Plenty of first year students successfully find places in private rented accommodation, or unihomes and this is also what the majority of students in other years do too. There is lots of shared student housing all over the city. The price can be slightly less than halls and or rooms may be bigger. Exactly where the house is located will affect this too. You can of course start looking whenever you like. What affects timing for most people is that they are waiting for exam results and cannot confirm their place on their course until they have these (unless they have an unconditional offer). This is why halls allocation and the house hunting service run by our very helpful and expert accommodation team opens in August after the results are mostly published.

The accommodation service here runs househunting facebook groups and meet ups (including viewings) throughout August and September. These are closed groups and are monitored - so you know that you can meet other people in the same position as you and find out more about them before the meet up days. You will get invited to join these if it applies.

I'd really recommend taking a look at our Brighton accommodation info (our new website just launched yesterday so it might look a bit different to last time you checked)
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/living-here/brighton/brighton-accommodation/index.aspx
and getting in touch directly with the team to ask them any questions you might have.

I hope this helps - let me know if there's anything else I can help out with.

Best Wishes
Viv
Original post by University of Brighton
Hi Ellie_96, Icatriona and Lilachemin

I'll try and share as much info as I can here to help you and anyone else who this is of interest to as well.

First thing - try (and I say try because I know it is really difficult not to) worry about this. You are certainly not alone and there are plenty of options and support out there to help you. And you're all being really pro active in thinking about this now which can give you a head start.

It is a fact that unfortunately, there aren't enough halls in Brighton to be able to offer a place to all first year students. Some first year students don't want halls of course but there are always some who do and either don't get a place or don't get their first choice. There are 1500 halls places, 300 unihomes rooms homestay rooms too - and of course there is lots of private rented accommodation.

How the allocation system works - When you apply for halls you get to put down your first and second choice etc. So everyone who puts Phoenix as their first choice gets put into a random order onto the list for e.g Phoenix (by a computer). This is the fairest way to give everyone the same chance. Names at the top of the list get allocated rooms first and it goes down the list until all the rooms are taken. If all the rooms are allocated and you are still on the list, you go on the list for your second choice.

Often, people make their first choice the halls that are closest to where they will be studying, but not always, so you can get a mix of people from different campuses at any halls.

If your preference is for Phoenix because you are based at Grand Parade you can of course apply for this and if you don't get it you may be offered a place elsewhere (which you can turn down if you want to). You might at that point, or as you have mentioned, sooner, look at private rented accommodation that is in your preferred area. Plenty of first year students successfully find places in private rented accommodation, or unihomes and this is also what the majority of students in other years do too. There is lots of shared student housing all over the city. The price can be slightly less than halls and or rooms may be bigger. Exactly where the house is located will affect this too. You can of course start looking whenever you like. What affects timing for most people is that they are waiting for exam results and cannot confirm their place on their course until they have these (unless they have an unconditional offer). This is why halls allocation and the house hunting service run by our very helpful and expert accommodation team opens in August after the results are mostly published.

The accommodation service here runs househunting facebook groups and meet ups (including viewings) throughout August and September. These are closed groups and are monitored - so you know that you can meet other people in the same position as you and find out more about them before the meet up days. You will get invited to join these if it applies.

I'd really recommend taking a look at our Brighton accommodation info (our new website just launched yesterday so it might look a bit different to last time you checked)
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/living-here/brighton/brighton-accommodation/index.aspx
and getting in touch directly with the team to ask them any questions you might have.

I hope this helps - let me know if there's anything else I can help out with.

Best Wishes
Viv

Thanks for the reply, makes a bit more sense. Just a quick question- do students with unconditional offers get priority by any chance?
Thanks for the reply, makes a bit more sense. Just a quick question- do students with unconditional offers get priority by any chance?

Hi Ellie_96

You're welcome. Glad that helps a bit. I know there is so much to think about atm.
What kind of offer you have doesn't make a difference - as long as Brighton is your firm choice you can apply for halls and the above process applies.

Best Wishes
Viv
Me again :smile:

I am kinda confused about how the terms are set out... How many weeks are in a term? In between terms do we have holidays where we can go home? Because I am trying to work out my budget and I can't properly without knowing how many weeks there are per term? thanksssssssss
Is the first year very largely marked, compared to the 2nd and 3rd year ? I would like to be able to really experiment and no worry so much about creating some back work,which I haven't really been able to do on my foundation. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending