The Student Room Group

AQA LAW unit 2

Hello, Can anyone help me out with unit 2...
I know the content (all the studies etc) but how do I apply the content...
For sociology we have a structure for every question, does anyone know a structure for Law questions?
I want an A
Reply 1
Original post by candyfloss_1
For sociology we have a structure for every question, does anyone know a structure for Law questions?
I want an A

This is how i do it and i got a B overall last year in AS, and i follow this structure for A2, i hope this helps!
Liability of the offence
Actus Reus (E.g. assault)
Mens rea (E.g. murder, take one’s life under queens peace)
Sentencing (REMBER CPS GUIDLINES, & SENETCING POWERS E.G murder life--> crown court s18)
Any defence available. (E.g. diminished responsibility)
To get an A remember to use as many cases but 3 will guarantee top marks. Hope this helps!! :wink:
Original post by 012858
This is how i do it and i got a B overall last year in AS, and i follow this structure for A2, i hope this helps!
Liability of the offence
Actus Reus (E.g. assault)
Mens rea (E.g. murder, take one’s life under queens peace)
Sentencing (REMBER CPS GUIDLINES, & SENETCING POWERS E.G murder life--> crown court s18)
Any defence available. (E.g. diminished responsibility)
To get an A remember to use as many cases but 3 will guarantee top marks. Hope this helps!! :wink:

What would you write for the liability of the offence?
Reply 3
What would you write for the liability of the offence?

For example megan has commited bugulary under the s9 of the theft act and criminald damage under criminal damage act then do actus reus!
Reply 4
For unit 2 you should use IDA (Identify, Define, Apply)
Identify the relevant offence 'D could be guilty of assault'
The definition of the actus reus of assault is...(and give case examples e.g. as in Smith where looking through the window was sufficient)
In this case it seems that the V feared immediate unlawful personal violence as she screamed and ran away (APPLICATION=pick out the relevant bits from the scenario)
The definition of the mens rea of assault is...(cases where relevant)
In this case it seems that D intended to frighten the V as it says he was annoyed and wanted to get her back.

Hope that helps

Use a similar approach for tort/contract. Start by identifying the issue, then define it and then show how the scenario fits or doesn't fit
Original post by Cindy5147
For unit 2 you should use IDA (Identify, Define, Apply)
Identify the relevant offence 'D could be guilty of assault'
The definition of the actus reus of assault is...(and give case examples e.g. as in Smith where looking through the window was sufficient)
In this case it seems that the V feared immediate unlawful personal violence as she screamed and ran away (APPLICATION=pick out the relevant bits from the scenario)
The definition of the mens rea of assault is...(cases where relevant)
In this case it seems that D intended to frighten the V as it says he was annoyed and wanted to get her back.

Hope that helps

Use a similar approach for tort/contract. Start by identifying the issue, then define it and then show how the scenario fits or doesn't fit

So to get an A...should I go through notes again and again or try past questions...although i'm not fully confident with the content?
Original post by 012858
For example megan has commited bugulary under the s9 of the theft act and criminald damage under criminal damage act then do actus reus!

Thankyou! Any other advice?
I want an A

I know this thread was last active three weeks ago but as I've been getting A's all year in Law, I thought I may be able to help :smile: are there any particular questions in the paper you're having difficulty with - or is it just the application ones?

Also, regarding this: ".should I go through notes again and again or try past questions...although i'm not fully confident with the content?" you should probably learn the content first before applying to a paper, however I found whenever I was having difficulty with a case, or concept, doing one or two past paper questions on said difficulty actually really helped.

Quick Reply

Latest