The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billybo_h
I think Deeney's absence is more of a surprise than Angella's. Consider the number of goals conceded, any Watford defensive player is going to be overlooked - although his attacking form has been incredible.

Deeney, on the other hand, has scored two more than Danny Ings, and almost single-handedly saved any potential Watford despair. Ings and Vokes have been brilliant, but it has been together. Also, Jordan Rhodes and Lewis Grabban have also scored more, and Chris Martin the same amount, so why not them?

Surprised to see Will Hughes in there though. Admittedly, I don't watch that many Derby games, but I've never been overly impressed by him, and his season stats are not overly impressive. Is it just a case of him being Will Hughes so he has to be on there, or has he actually been good.

Also, my housemate went to school with Hughes; supposedly he is massively egotistical, so he will fit right when he gets an England call-up.

I imagine Ings is in over Deeney purely due to his link up with his strike partner, Vokes. Deeney has been brilliant and all, but hey, it'd look bad on them putting an ex-convict in is probably the reason, knowing the FL. Plus Ings did win POTY, it'd be stupid if he didn't make TOTY.

I want Angella in just on the basis of how insane he is. He scores a goal and just throws his arms in any direction, and his flick against Forest. :eek:
Original post by CraigWM
Deeney has been brilliant and all, but hey, it'd look bad on them putting an ex-convict in is probably the reason, knowing the FL. Plus Ings did win POTY, it'd be stupid if he didn't make TOTY.

That didn't stop them putting Ched Evans in the team of the year the season he went to prison. Even after complaints Clarke Carlisle defended the choice.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not sure on Big Wes getting in tbh - he's not been as good as he was last season (perhaps because Moore and Wasyl are better than Keane & Whitbread) but I suppose the captain of the title winners had to make it in.

Can't agree with the midfield either - Drinkwater is a brilliant player, but James should be in there as well - they essentially come as a pair from what we've seen this season. Would have been a better choice than Reid - while he has played well, he's hardly played half a seasons worth.

Maybe they didn't want it too lop sided with players from one team. If we had won the league I wouldn't care about team of the year-being champions means you are team of the year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scott129
I can confirm that he is very egotistical too. Tried to charge me for a photo on a night out and I told him where to go. Jeff Hendrick and Johnny Russell were more than happy to have one taken with me (the latter even bought me a drink) but Hughes just stood there sulking and giving me evils whilst it was taken. I find it really difficult to cheer for him after that incident.

Why do footballers make it so hard to support them? If only everyone was a stand-up human being. That's what is quite good about the current Watford squad; supporters of other teams suggest that we are losing our identity due to the influx of foreigners (how very UKIP-esque of them), but the likes of Pudil, Forestieri and Battocchio have ingrained themselves in the town and people always see them around. They have sort of become local icons, and they are always willing to have photo's taken when seen out eating/shopping etc.

Original post by CraigWM
I imagine Ings is in over Deeney purely due to his link up with his strike partner, Vokes. Deeney has been brilliant and all, but hey, it'd look bad on them putting an ex-convict in is probably the reason, knowing the FL. Plus Ings did win POTY, it'd be stupid if he didn't make TOTY.

I want Angella in just on the basis of how insane he is. He scores a goal and just throws his arms in any direction, and his flick against Forest. :eek:

Strangely, Ings won POTY, even though Vokes has arguably had a better season.

I do love Angella though, he is a fantastic player, and to score seven times as a central defender is brilliant. I voted for the Forest goal as goal of the season. Also, his absence in the Derby game was very evident; people criticise him for defensive lapses, but the entire back-three looked dreadful without him. That run that drew the centre-halves away from Jamie Ward to give him a free shot on goal wasn't particularly great. It was just the defenders being complete idiots.
What do we make of Swindon's Ranger being caught on camera punching a woman repeatedly in the face?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cheese_Monster
What do we make of Swindon's Ranger being caught on camera punching a woman repeatedly in the face?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's been acting like that pretty much since he turned pro-can't see him staying in League football for much longer to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cheese_Monster

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's a very naughty boy :colone: I remember when we had him on loan and he brandished a shirt under his kit saying 'i'm a changed man' or something. He'll go the way of Evans and Madine rather soon I believe- Prison.
Original post by Midlander
He's been acting like that pretty much since he turned pro-can't see him staying in League football for much longer to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by nixonsjellybeans
He's a very naughty boy :colone: I remember when we had him on loan and he brandished a shirt under his kit saying 'i'm a changed man' or something. He'll go the way of Evans and Madine rather soon I believe- Prison.

It's such a waste (not Ranger, he's replaceable) but imagine having the opportunity to make a vast amount of money just from playing football, and to throw it away so pointlessly...the mind boggles.
Birmingham losing again, looking very likely that they'll be relegated. I do worry for them, if they go down to League One it will be a good few years before they return.
Original post by CraigWM
Oh, what age group? Most of the players do seem down to earth, Deeney was in prison last year and his turnarounds been nothing short of remarkable. Ah, the gaffer, yeah he wouldn't have had a clue what you were on about, he came in January and doesn't speak English properly yet!

I've never been to the training grond, no. Were you at London Colney or at the Harefield Academy?

It was in London Conley. I took part in a u14 match. It was definetly a great experience. I heard more Italian than English in the training ground. Most of the staff were Italian. Anya was actually very small. There were a couple of huge players, one of which was exstrand.
Original post by sr90
Birmingham losing again, looking very likely that they'll be relegated. I do worry for them, if they go down to League One it will be a good few years before they return.

All they need is a takeover-I would not expect them to stay in this dump of a division for too long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by billybo_h
Why do footballers make it so hard to support them? If only everyone was a stand-up human being. That's what is quite good about the current Watford squad; supporters of other teams suggest that we are losing our identity due to the influx of foreigners (how very UKIP-esque of them), but the likes of Pudil, Forestieri and Battocchio have ingrained themselves in the town and people always see them around. They have sort of become local icons, and they are always willing to have photo's taken when seen out eating/shopping etc.

Tell me about it! Don't get me wrong though, every other experience I've had with a Derby player (both current and former) has been fantastic. Even on that occasion, Hendrick and Russell were both lovely and more than made up for Hughes. Even Robbie Savage was a really nice guy when I actually expected him to be a massive dick.

I tried to convince myself that it was probably alcohol-related (or that he was just having a bad night) but I've heard similar stories from other fans. To be fair though, I'm not surprised he's got a bit of an ego if he's being watched by the top teams in the world at the age of 18/19. It's easy for supporters to say that they wouldn't be like that if they were him but you wouldn't know unless it actually happened.
It wouldn't have been a proper season without some play off heartbreak. I went along to FC United last night (housemate is a season ticket holder) and despite finishing 20 points ahead of Ashton, they conceded an equaliser in the 93rd minute and then lost the tie in the 122nd. In the Evo-Stik league play-offs take place over one leg. I really can't stand this system of promotion and relegation.
Original post by Jangrafess
It wouldn't have been a proper season without some play off heartbreak. I went along to FC United last night (housemate is a season ticket holder) and despite finishing 20 points ahead of Ashton, they conceded an equaliser in the 93rd minute and then lost the tie in the 122nd. In the Evo-Stik league play-offs take place over one leg. I really can't stand this system of promotion and relegation.

Sounds like a pretty epic match though. :yes:

I like the playoff system - it keeps the season more interesting - and would introduce playoffs for the final relegation place in a league. :colone:
Original post by sr90

Very true. I predicted we'd go down at the start of the season. We deserve to go down, we have only won two home games all season.

It'll only make shifting the ownership even harder, not to mention Lee Clark. The man is an absolute scumbag, he had an absolute raging go at Mitch Hancox, who is only a kid, after the Leeds game for getting the crowd going, to the point that he nearly cried.

Lowest time ever to be a blues fan :frown:
Original post by redferry
Very true. I predicted we'd go down at the start of the season. We deserve to go down, we have only won two home games all season.

It'll only make shifting the ownership even harder, not to mention Lee Clark. The man is an absolute scumbag, he had an absolute raging go at Mitch Hancox, who is only a kid, after the Leeds game for getting the crowd going, to the point that he nearly cried.

Bloody hell! What's wrong with getting the crowd going?

Your best hope is a draw at the weekend (can't see donny getting a result vs us)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It can always get worse :tongue: Would expect you to get something from Bolton though, I wouldn't be too worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Bloody hell! What's wrong with getting the crowd going?

Your best hope is a draw at the weekend (can't see donny getting a result vs us)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lee Clark is a ****er that's what's wrong with it :tongue:

Can't see us drawing either let's be honest here!
Original post by Midlander
It can always get worse :tongue: Would expect you to get something from Bolton though, I wouldn't be too worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My dads decided not to renew his season ticket next year. Its THAT bad.

I'm not going to get my hopes up. I've watched us all season and there's no way we deserve to stay up! Its the hope that kills you lol.

Its always sad to know your manager is a horrible person as well :frown:
My dads decided not to renew his season ticket next year. Its THAT bad.

I'm not going to get my hopes up. I've watched us all season and there's no way we deserve to stay up! Its the hope that kills you lol.

Its always sad to know your manager is a horrible person as well :frown:

New owners likely on the way, playing in Birmingham and so on and so on. It seems bleak right now but I don't see it lasting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest