The Student Room Group

Declaring all GCSE results

Removed.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Depends what you got the As in. I believe you have to declare Maths and English (and maybe Sciences) at least. I don't know Oxford's specific policies though. Personally can't see how declaring the 2 As would harm you, might as well put them in!
You MUST declare all of your GCSE and AS grades and equivalents. Failure to do so could lead to withdrawal of any offers made.
Original post by Askingquestion16
Hi, I'm just wondering when applying to University, do you have to declare all qualifications that you completed? Because for example when applying to Oxford, they apparently look for a high A*%, so would 10A* look better than 10A* 2A? Or would the latter look better than the former? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you have to declare all of your exam results - as the person before me has mentioned, not declaring any results is extremely serious. As far as I know, the only Oxford department that looks at your A* percentage is Medicine. For the other departments, the only thing that matters is the number of A*s so 10A*2A is definitely not worse than 10A*.
Hi, thank you for the replied! Ok, I don't suppose that any of you know if 10A* and 2A from a comprehensive school that does not achieve very highly (around 65% achieve 5A*-C) would mean whether I am at a disadvantage in terms of my GCSE results if I apply to Oxford?

I dont think so. For a student in a non selective state school to achieve those grades is impressive. A lot of unis are state school biased anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it was the highest in my year by a few A*s. Really? I didn't know that they were, but I suppose that I can't complain if this is true :biggrin:

They look at your results in context with your cohort and school. I wouldn't say they are state school biased.
Reply 6
tbh 10 A* 2 A is excellent for most private schools, especially as you tend to do 9/10 GCSE's max in private schools. I get this sense people think privately educated kids get 14 A* average. They don't. At my school (very good within top 100 for GCSE results) a third of the year get all A's A*s,

So yes to get back to your question, your results are excellent and definitely oxbridge worthy.
Reply 7
Thank you everyone for your replies! Plus Bazbaz, thanks, and I don't know I guess I just thought that lots of people from private schools get these results or higher, so my GCSEs would be at the lower end of the applicants when applying to top courses at top universities.

I think 6A* is the average for Cambridge applicants (which is what I'm aiming for, only do 8 GCSEs though lol)
Original post by Bazbaz
I think 6A* is the average for Cambridge applicants (which is what I'm aiming for, only do 8 GCSEs though lol)

More like 8 or 9. Check page 5 of this.
Reply 9
Original post by StrangeBanana
More like 8 or 9. Check page 5 of this.

That's for the highly competitive courses like law and medicine... and I did say applicants not successful applicants. Anyway OP has 10 A*
, and given that I do * GCSE's I doubt anyone will be expecting I get 9 A*. I'm not sure about that site's stats tbh with you.

EDIT: I'd check the university's official statistics, not a survey if I were you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bazbaz
That's for the highly competitive courses like law and medicine... and I did say applicants not successful applicants. Anyway OP has 10 A*
, and given that I do * GCSE's I doubt anyone will be expecting I get 9 A*. I'm not sure about that site's stats tbh with you.

EDIT: I'd check the university's official statistics, not a survey if I were you.

No, average for the most competitive course was around 10. Who cares what the average unsuccessful applicant gets? :confused: Nobody aims to be unsuccessful. OP is in a very good position with regards to GCSE, I was just pointing something out. There's no reason to doubt the legitimacy of the site's statistics. :curious: They seem to be a very reliable, well-established organisation.

I don't believe the University offers any official statistics regarding number of GCSEs per applicant. I may be wrong; if you could provide some that would be very helpful.
Reply 11
Original post by StrangeBanana
No, average for the most competitive course was around 10. Who cares what the average unsuccessful applicant gets? :confused: Nobody aims to be unsuccessful. OP is in a very good position with regards to GCSE, I was just pointing something out. There's no reason to doubt the legitimacy of the site's statistics. :curious: They seem to be a very reliable, well-established organisation.

I don't believe the University offers any official statistics regarding number of GCSEs per applicant. I may be wrong; if you could provide some that would be very helpful.

I went to an exeter college oxford admissions talk a couple of weeks ago... My point was that their statistics are from their own survey, not official data, surveys do not by any means tell the whole story. This is the closest that Cambridge have in regards to stats. As you can see you have a perfectly good chance with 6 GCSE's as long as your UMS is high. Cambridge (which is the uni I'm specifically talking about as oxford are far more stringent about GCSEs) cares more about AS levels.

Quick Reply

Latest