The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9240
Also.. do the actors really not know the results of the Oscars until the night?
Original post by Tom78
- However, did anyone else thing McConaughey came across as really conceited during his speech? I even thought he was drunk at one point haha.

Not really. Thought it was a bit odd not to mention AIDS, though.
Original post by Tom78
It was a great set of results, glad to see McConaughey get the nod, and 12 years was always gonna pick up best picture. Speaking as someone who hasn't seen it, was Cuaron's win for best director justified?

I'd say so. Loved Gravity.
Reply 9243
Original post by Stylo92
Not really. Thought it was a bit odd not to mention AIDS, though.

It was just the "I'm my own hero" thing. I think the make up team dedicated their awards to AIDS sufferers particularly from the time of the epidemic, so maybe he thought it didn't need to be said twice.
Original post by Tom78
It was just the "I'm my own hero" thing. I think the make up team dedicated their awards to AIDS sufferers particularly from the time of the epidemic, so maybe he thought it didn't need to be said twice.

More he 'wants to be his hero (in ten years time)', so to aspire to be greater than what he is.

Should still have got a mention, being the one of the big awards at the ceremony and all. I'd expect that Ejiofor would have dedicated his to slavery, etc.
Reply 9245
Original post by Stylo92
More he 'wants to be his hero (in ten years time)', so to aspire to be greater than what he is.

Should still have got a mention, being the one of the big awards at the ceremony and all. I'd expect that Ejiofor would have dedicated his to slavery, etc.

I don't really think it's the done thing though, but there we go. Yeah fair enough McQueen did do a little speech when it picked up best film though.
Pretty much universally happy with these Oscars, particularly Nyong'o and Jonze getting the nod.
Reply 9247
Anyone here seen Keith? It's not usually my type of genre but I rewatched it for the third time tonight, there's just something about it....

Saw Mud recently as well an it was pretty good, Matthew McConaughey and the kid actors especially were great.

12 years A Slave was really good. I'd put it on par with Schindler's List
Watching Aliens. Brilliant.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26812277

JK Rowling's Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is to be made into a film trilogy.
Please don't spoil the film for me, but what do people think of Only God Forgives?
Reply 9251
Original post by _Morsey_
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26812277

JK Rowling's Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is to be made into a film trilogy.

This will probably make The Hobbit look like a masterpiece in comparison to other spin offs.
Anyone seen The Grand Budapest Hotel?
Original post by Iamyourfather
Anyone seen The Grand Budapest Hotel?

Not yet. It's on my list. I loved the Royal Tenebaums
I can't find a torrent for GBH, albeit I haven't looked very hard.
Watched Pulp Fiction for the first time the other night.

Wow. I really don't know what to say. It's a great film but mind-blowing to say the least. The whole non-linear thing really forces you to keep your attention, and Samuel L. Jackson's performance is brilliant - he steals every scene he is in and his character can hold everyone's attention in a room.
Original post by Tom78
I can't find a torrent for GBH, albeit I haven't looked very hard.

Try searching for Riot 2012
:rolleyes: what to say?
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Watched Pulp Fiction for the first time the other night.

Wow. I really don't know what to say. It's a great film but mind-blowing to say the least. The whole non-linear thing really forces you to keep your attention, and Samuel L. Jackson's performance is brilliant - he steals every scene he is in and his character can hold everyone's attention in a room.

Yes. A great movie. Just shows what Tarantino used to be capable of, before he started making the current pile of tedious rubbish.
Not sure if anyone else has said this yet, but what does everyone think of the new Star Wars cast?

I'm curious to know what characters the actors will play, because there is so much extra in the Extended Universe that it'd have to fit with.
Although I do like that most of the original cast are returning.

Quick Reply

Latest