The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abby_W31
I've had about three weeks working on a sheep farm, a weeks lambing, I've been milking most nights for two years and have done three weeks at a small animal vets, planning a week of large animal practice in summer and have applied to a "Zoo Keeper Academy" in summer too. So i've got a wide variety but I just hope it's all okay!

I'd definitely advise getting something with horses like a riding school and kennels/cattery and try and get a couple of weeks at a large vet rather than just a week. :smile:
Original post by beccac94
I'd definitely advise getting something with horses like a riding school and kennels/cattery and try and get a couple of weeks at a large vet rather than just a week. :smile:

Yeah, I have been riding but it was years ago and I'm allergic, going to see how busy my summer ends up being, i do want a bit of time to relax! Might plan some for Oct halfterm.

Original post by SilverstarDJ
How about a horse husbandry placement? Something like a riding school, livery yard, mounted police would be a good idea for your application. Other than that maybe doing another farm species would add variety e.g. pigs or poultry are big industries in the UK as well. A lab or abattoir placement would also be a nice 'icing on the cake' if you can get this.

Good luck!

I'm allergic to horses so have been putting off doing any work experience with them. My dad works with pig farmers so he's going to ask them for me. I'm looked for placements at a lab but there aren't any near me, I've got to give myself time to revise as well though as I don't just "Get" it like some people do, I really have to work hard for my grades.
Yeah, I have been riding but it was years ago and I'm allergic, going to see how busy my summer ends up being, i do want a bit of time to relax! Might plan some for Oct halfterm.

I'm allergic to horses so have been putting off doing any work experience with them. My dad works with pig farmers so he's going to ask them for me. I'm looked for placements at a lab but there aren't any near me, I've got to give myself time to revise as well though as I don't just "Get" it like some people do, I really have to work hard for my grades.

Remember that for horses they take up 1/3 of your time in vet school and you have whole rotations with them. I'd book some experience as none would be a detriment to your application.
Hi guys! I am finalizing my work experience for the summer and wonder what areas I could improve as should have 1 extra week free!
I have done: 2 weeks rescue centre, 1 week kennel & cattery, 1 week riding stables, 1 week at 2 sa practices (so 2 weeks altogether) and 1 week lambing.
I already have planned (before November this year): 2 weeks mixed practice (sa & farm though will focus on farm), 1 week dairy farm, 1 week goat dairy farm, 1 week general farm (they have poultry, pigs, sheep, goats, horses, cows, alpacas (!) etc. etc.) and also 1 week at a farm which has beef cows, sheep and a private abattoir.
For the following year, I have: 1 week lambing at 2 farms (2 weeks total), 1 week equine vets, 1 week exotics vets, 1 week mixed (small, farm & equine) vets, 1 week biomedical lab and possibly 2/3 weeks at a zoo/ wildlife park. I know these wont really count but I really want to do them and have had to organise them a year later because they were already booked up for this coming summer and didnt have too much time. Also, if I dont get in first time and take a gap year, they will come in handy!
After AS exams, I will also be volunteering in a exotics shop, observing dog training and watching a sa vets weekly.
So is there anything else that I am missing/ could improve my application ... the icing on the top! Thanks! xxx

How allergic are you? If it's mild and manageable with antihistamines then that's fine, but if it's severe then I think it will be a major problem for you at vet school like skatealexia has pointed out. I have heard of one vet who was allergic, overdoing on antihistamines didn't help and he ended up in hospital with due to a severe asthma attack after equine rotations - I don't think you'd want to be in the same situation.
Did anyone here apply to the RVC for the Sutton Trust summer school?
Reply 2866
Anyone watch Vets in the Disaster Zone? Just caught up with it, those were some very happy piglets at the end! :biggrin: It was so interesting to see how farming is done in less economically developed countries, and their ideas for hazard-proofing it were just so well thought through!
Original post by skatealexia
Remember that for horses they take up 1/3 of your time in vet school and you have whole rotations with them. I'd book some experience as none would be a detriment to your application.

How allergic are you? If it's mild and manageable with antihistamines then that's fine, but if it's severe then I think it will be a major problem for you at vet school like skatealexia has pointed out. I have heard of one vet who was allergic, overdoing on antihistamines didn't help and he ended up in hospital with due to a severe asthma attack after equine rotations - I don't think you'd want to be in the same situation.

I'm going to go and spend a day at the local riding school and see how I go with my allergies, last time it was quite bad but that was a few years ago. I will let you know how it goes :smile:

Original post by ABC05
Anyone watch Vets in the Disaster Zone? Just caught up with it, those were some very happy piglets at the end! :biggrin: It was so interesting to see how farming is done in less economically developed countries, and their ideas for hazard-proofing it were just so well thought through!

I've got it recorded to watch as I'm cramming for Physics EMPA this week! I'm glad someone has said it's of use, one of the boys I know wants to be a vet (Though his people skills make me wonder if he's cut out for it) I told him about it and he said that when he watched it it was completely boring and complained that "The only hint of surgery there was was some injections" he's OBSESSED with surgery and euthanasia! I was going to watch it anyway because it's something to talk about in an interview. I think he's only interested in the money :/

I've got it recorded to watch as I'm cramming for Physics EMPA this week! I'm glad someone has said it's of use, one of the boys I know wants to be a vet (Though his people skills make me wonder if he's cut out for it) I told him about it and he said that when he watched it it was completely boring and complained that "The only hint of surgery there was was some injections" he's OBSESSED with surgery and euthanasia! I was going to watch it anyway because it's something to talk about in an interview. I think he's only interested in the money :/

I quite enjoyed it and its great that there are charities helping people who have lost everything from disasters as well as thinking about solutions for the longer term - it really showed how being a vet isn't just about the animals. It's also touches on welfare in other countries. Hope that's not too many spoilers!

If he's only into it for the money, vet med isn't very well paid for the amount we study and the skills we have compared to allies professions. Being a doctor would be better if he wants to make lots of money!
Reply 2869
Mmm, I completely agree with Silverstar. Veterinary work is as much to do with human interaction as it is with animal interaction, and if he's just in for the money, well, he's not going to get very far if that's his way of doing things :tongue:
Clinical rotations have been keeping me busssssssyyy. On the other hand, I was looking after a lovely cavalier this week :biggrin:
I quite enjoyed it and its great that there are charities helping people who have lost everything from disasters as well as thinking about solutions for the longer term - it really showed how being a vet isn't just about the animals. It's also touches on welfare in other countries. Hope that's not too many spoilers!

If he's only into it for the money, vet med isn't very well paid for the amount we study and the skills we have compared to allies professions. Being a doctor would be better if he wants to make lots of money!

I watched the first half last night so don't worry about spoilers :smile: That's what I keep thinking, he's an "animals are dispensable" (If that's the right word) kind of guy, very hard headed rather than worried about the animals.

Original post by ABC05
Mmm, I completely agree with Silverstar. Veterinary work is as much to do with human interaction as it is with animal interaction, and if he's just in for the money, well, he's not going to get very far if that's his way of doing things :tongue:

He's a very blunt person, Like i said just there ^
https://www.coursera.org/course/edivet

Good intro to vet course seems very good.
Original post by skatealexia
https://www.coursera.org/course/edivet

Good intro to vet course seems very good.

I'm signed up, the only problem is that it coincides with exams!
Anyone interested in the following books (excellent condition), get in touch! They were all useful to my applications.

Getting into Veterinary School (9E) ISBN 978-1-906041-2-2
Vet School Part 1 ISBN 978-0-957579-40-8
Vet School Part 2 ISBN 978-0-957579-41-5
Preparing for the BMAT ISBN 978-0-435046-87-3
400 BMAT Practice Questions ISBN 978-190581-20-66

I also recommend the EVS course - excellent practicals, insights, networking and environment! Check out http://embryovets.com
(edited 9 years ago)
A list of places offering zoo work experience... Quite useful, although you need to be over 18 for most of them
http://www.biaza.org.uk/uploads/Education/BIAZA%20Collections%20Offering%20Work%20Experience.pdf
Original post by Youngvet
I will be reapplying. For the next 3 months it's 100% revision for A levels... Then I will get anther few weeks more wex ... In particular plugging the gaps in my wex. Hope to do some voluntary animal work overseas for a few weeks or a month before reapplying in oct. Got to stay positive despite my 4 rejections this year.

sorry, never got notified :frown:
where are you looking to go abroad? i'm hoping thailand/borneo :smile: :smile:
still can't find any farms though for lambing/dairy.
i figure, get good grades then next year after i've got offers will be sooo good (look at that for positivity!)
2 things.

1) Has anyone booked a place at Bristol's open day?

2) Do you think that the minimum grades for getting in to Veterinary may have to be dropped due to no January exams and students supposedly not meant to be doing as well?
2 things.

1) Has anyone booked a place at Bristol's open day?

2) Do you think that the minimum grades for getting in to Veterinary may have to be dropped due to no January exams and students supposedly not meant to be doing as well?

1) I am booking a place tonight, if there are any spaces left! (just managed to persuade parents! :biggrin:) You?
2) I am doubting it ... guessing most other wanna-be-vets will be getting the As anymore though fingers and toes crossed!:colondollar:
Original post by Percival Weasley
1) I am booking a place tonight, if there are any spaces left! (just managed to persuade parents! :biggrin:) You?
2) I am doubting it ... guessing most other wanna-be-vets will be getting the As anymore though fingers and toes crossed!:colondollar:

1) Yeah I'm going on the Saturday, it's the only one I will have visited as I'm fairly certain where I want to go, it's just a reserve choice really?

2) Yeah I'm keeping fingers crossed too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending