The Student Room Group

Bath vs Bristol for engineering?

It's almost time for me to pick my university choices and I was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I'm stuck between choosing Bristol (Mechanical engineering 4 years) or Bath (Integrated mechanical and electrical engineering 4 years). I know both are highly ranked for engineering but I was wondering which course would be better? I am thinking about going to Investment Banking (sales and trading) after university. Would either out of these two benefit me more than the other? I know in the world of engineering, the integrated discipline course would be considered useful, but would it be looked down on by other industries who don't have as good an understanding of what the course is? Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by DPats
It's almost time for me to pick my university choices and I was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I'm stuck between choosing Bristol (Mechanical engineering 4 years) or Bath (Integrated mechanical and electrical engineering 4 years). I know both are highly ranked for engineering but I was wondering which course would be better? I am thinking about going to Investment Banking (sales and trading) after university. Would either out of these two benefit me more than the other? I know in the world of engineering, the integrated discipline course would be considered useful, but would it be looked down on by other industries who don't have as good an understanding of what the course is? Cheers

I doubt an investment bank, who regularly employ engineering students from said uni's, would struggle with the concept of an integrated engineering degree. The fact you'd have an engineering degree from one of Bath or Bristol is enough to get you an interview. The rest is down to you.

In my opinion i would attend Bath. Reason being is Bristol is literally 30mins away. I.e live in a very very beautiful place (Bath) and enjoy the nightlife/diversity of Bristol as and when you want. How anyone can turn down the opportunity to live in Bath is beyond me.
Reply 2
Original post by kingm
I doubt an investment bank, who regularly employ engineering students from said uni's, would struggle with the concept of an integrated engineering degree. The fact you'd have an engineering degree from one of Bath or Bristol is enough to get you an interview. The rest is down to you.

In my opinion i would attend Bath. Reason being is Bristol is literally 30mins away. I.e live in a very very beautiful place (Bath) and enjoy the nightlife/diversity of Bristol as and when you want. How anyone can turn down the opportunity to live in Bath is beyond me.

Thanks for your reply. I guess you're right about other industries knowing the difference and not being too bothered and Bath is a nicer place to live.

Quick Reply

Latest